Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

0 members and 3,377 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts

Re: Scarlette - 2022 Colombian BCI

Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    ...I've been talking with a family member about her enclosure, and we've been wondering about heating. I'm planning on using heat tape but we are unsure on how to attach it to the tank/set it up in general. Any tips or instructions on how to get the heating set up would be very helpful!
    Heat can be a "problem" with very large tanks/enclosures, especially if your room/house is on the cool side compared to the needs of your snake(s). Heat tapes are mostly designed to be used outside a tank- specifically underneath so the heat rises into it (unless specially made, like the insulated & grounded ones designed to be used in damp environments like whelping boxes & farms). That's why we often refer to them as "UTH" (= under tank heat). Most UTH heat is on the mild size (otherwise you'd be grilling your snake! ) and in a large set-up, may not be adequate to achieve the needed warmth for the kind of snake you're housing. (Boas & pythons need more heat than colubrids, for example.)

So it depends whether you're using a tank (screen top) or enclosure as to what else you'd need to install- at least for the colder seasons. You never want to heat the entire floor with UTH- I assume you know that? Usually best to heat no more than half the floor for safety reasons- & obviously you need a reliable thermostat for all heat sources. You will want to actually have the tank or enclosure for a while BEFORE you attempt to move your snake into it- as it will take time to fully test the temperatures you are able to achieve. Nothing worse than trying to test, reconfigure & install different heat sources while a snake is in residence- it's not safe for the snake to do that, & the commotion will stress them.

Glass tanks can be a little harder to keep in the heat, but that's mostly because of all the air-flow on top- which can EASILY be modified. It's also easy to insulate the sides & top, so the type of housing you choose really is up to you. I happen to prefer glass tanks, but every option has pro's & con's. AND EVERY situation is a little different, so don't expect anyone else to say "You need this & this & it will be perfect." IF only... No, like I said, there are multiple factors that influence what you need, & there's no way around you needing to test it & modify as needed- preferably before the snake is in residence. Your needs will depend on whether you live in Alaska or the Mojave desert, & exactly how much air space is inside, plus how much air flow there is. The reason plastic/PVC enclosures "hold in the heat better" is mostly because they have much less ventilation.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    I've been talking with a family member about her enclosure, and we've been wondering about heating. I'm planning on using heat tape but we are unsure on how to attach it to the tank/set it up in general. Any tips or instructions on how to get the heating set up would be very helpful!
    A picture of the enclosure you're planning to heat would help us better advise you.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bogertophis View Post
    heat can be a "problem" with very large tanks/enclosures, especially if your room/house is on the cool side compared to the needs of your snake(s). Heat tapes are mostly designed to be used outside a tank- specifically underneath so the heat rises into it (unless specially made, like the insulated & grounded ones designed to be used in damp environments like whelping boxes & farms). That's why we often refer to them as "uth" (= under tank heat). Most uth heat is on the mild size (otherwise you'd be grilling your snake! :o ) and in a large set-up, may not be adequate to achieve the needed warmth for the kind of snake you're housing. (boas & pythons need more heat than colubrids, for example.)

so it depends whether you're using a tank (screen top) or enclosure as to what else you'd need to install- at least for the colder seasons. You never want to heat the entire floor with uth- i assume you know that? Usually best to heat no more than half the floor for safety reasons- & obviously you need a reliable thermostat for all heat sources. You will want to actually have the tank or enclosure for a while before you attempt to move your snake into it- as it will take time to fully test the temperatures you are able to achieve. Nothing worse than trying to test, reconfigure & install different heat sources while a snake is in residence- it's not safe for the snake to do that, & the commotion will stress them.
    i'm working with a front opening enclosure, not a screened top. I will not be heating any more than half the enclosure floor, and i still do have plenty of time to test and ensure everything will be safe for her (shes still like, 25").
    glass tanks can be a little harder to keep in the heat, but that's mostly because of all the air-flow on top- which can easily be modified. It's also easy to insulate the sides & top, so the type of housing you choose really is up to you. I happen to prefer glass tanks, but every option has pro's & con's. And every situation is a little different, so don't expect anyone else to say "you need this & this & it will be perfect." if only... No, like i said, there are multiple factors that influence what you need, & there's no way around you needing to test it & modify as needed- preferably before the snake is in residence. Your needs will depend on whether you live in alaska or the mojave desert, & exactly how much air space is inside, plus how much air flow there is. The reason plastic/pvc enclosures "hold in the heat better" is mostly because they have much less ventilation.
    i'm not going to be using a glass tank, and the average temperature of my house year-round is 70 degrees f. There is ventilation on both sides of the enclosure. What i'd been meaning to ask is how to use heat tape. Would you just fix it to the bottom of the enclosure? Does there have to be an indent in the bottom for you to put it in?

Thanks

I fed her again this Tuesday, and her feeding response only gets better. She stuck and coiled quickly. Scarlette seems to be doing very well, and is getting cloudy again in preparation for shed. Would it be best if I don't feed her again until after she's shed?
    A few recent pictures:
    https://imgur.com/a/JotGiLr

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-20-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I would wait until after shed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (07-20-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    Photos are a little blurry- but if she's noticeably cloudy, I'd personally wait. And after all, that's what happens in nature.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (07-20-2023),Homebody (07-21-2023)

Thanks

Thank you! I will be waiting.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-20-2023),dakski (07-20-2023)

Thanks

She's over 2/3 the way through quarantine! I'm glad she's doing well!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-21-2023),dakski (07-21-2023)

Thanks

She shed on Monday, it went well. I'm warming up a meal for her now!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-27-2023 at 10:30 PM. Reason: changed 'said' to 'shed' for clarity, LOL- I assume she's not talking?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-27-2023)

Thanks

She ate and is doing well. I've started introducing her to her larger enclosure. I allow her to go in/out on her will, watching as she explores and settles in. I'm still working on getting substrate and decor for her larger enclosure, so now is the perfect time to make sure everything is running well.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-01-2023),dakski (08-01-2023),Homebody (08-03-2023)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast