Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

2 members and 3,302 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,834 Times in 11,848 Posts

Re: Scarlette - 2022 Colombian BCI

Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    Didn't think of shed cycle! I'll be sure to keep a close eye on her, watching if she goes into blue...
    The longer you keep snakes, the easier it gets to spot the signs. Before their eyes even get cloudy, I can often see a texture difference on their neck (the skin folds look different) & also, their belly scutes may have a double edge if you look very close. But a small flashlight in a dark room is the best way to tell- shine it across their eye (from the side) & the cloudiness will show up.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (06-08-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The longer you keep snakes, the easier it gets to spot the signs. Before their eyes even get cloudy, I can often see a texture difference on their neck (the skin folds look different) & also, their belly scutes may have a double edge if you look very close. But a small flashlight in a dark room is the best way to tell- shine it across their eye (from the side) & the cloudiness will show up.
    Thanks for the tips!

Thanks

Offered again last night, she showed little interest and didn't strike. I left it in over night. Still there. Her eyes are starting to get more cloudy, it seems she is going in to shed. This'll be her first shed with me, I am looking forward to it. Her behavior is still good when handling despite not being handled as much. Looking forward to seeing how different her shed texture is compared to my BP and hoggy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-13-2023)

Thanks
    I personally wouldn't be handling this snake at all- not until AFTER she has fed at least 2 or 3 times without good reason for refusal (like being in shed). Just a suggestion. What's the rush?

Why? Because stress affects a snake's immune system- when you have a new (or relatively new) snake, they've usually been exposed to pathogens along the way before they get to you- and whether or not they become ill once they're yours may depend on the optimal functioning of their immune system. Therefore, any new snakes in MY hands are treated like they're in the ICU- they get monitored but not handled, & allowed privacy to eat & rest well, while they settle their nerves after ending up in what to them is a scary new world they don't understand. It's essential to have their home fully tested & set up before they move in, so there's no added stress from our interference.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (06-13-2023),dakski (06-13-2023),OatBoii (06-25-2023)

Thanks

I personally wouldn't be handling this snake at all- not until AFTER she has fed at least 2 or 3 times without good reason for refusal (like being in shed). Just a suggestion. What's the rush?

Why? Because stress affects a snake's immune system- when you have a new (or relatively new) snake, they've usually been exposed to pathogens along the way before they get to you- and whether or not they become ill once they're yours may depend on the optimal functioning of their immune system. Therefore, any new snakes in MY hands are treated like they're in the ICU- they get monitored but not handled, & allowed privacy to eat & rest well, while they settle their nerves after ending up in what to them is a scary new world they don't understand. It's essential to have their home fully tested & set up before they move in, so there's no added stress from our interference.
    Oh! Thank you, good to know. I'll stop handling her until she gets some more meals under her belt.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-13-2023),dakski (06-13-2023)

Thanks

It's getting pretty clear shes going to shed. I can visibly see a difference in her scales/on her underbelly. I think I'm going to wait until after she sheds to offer food again. Other than that though, I have the 10 gallon I'm planning on moving her to ready for when she gets more steady. But, now I guess we just wait.

Thanks

She shed today! Checked her over, helped her get the shed off her tail, and no stuck shed! Both eyecaps were found. Planning on feeding tues or weds. And after she eats a few meals with more enthusiasm, I need to upgrade her. The tub shes in now is far too small. That's the plan if all goes well. I'd hate to keep her in her current quarantine tub for another 60-70 days if not longer.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-17-2023)

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/lDn8XW4
    She eats! Dispite being asleep when I first opened her enclosure, she stuck as soon as she woke. Got a good coil, too!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-22-2023),dakski (06-22-2023),Homebody (06-22-2023),OatBoii (06-25-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/lDn8XW4
    She eats! Dispite being asleep when I first opened her enclosure, she stuck as soon as she woke. Got a good coil, too!
    ATTA GIRL! BCI's are great-

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (06-22-2023)

Thanks

Rant

Just got back from a trip to discover Scarlette had been neglected by the person we had watching over our animals. They have petsat for me before, none of what happened makes sense to me. I left explicit care instructions out for her, and they weren't followed. Upon entering the room, I was hit by a nasty smell. When nearing her tub I knew that it was the source. I found it with a quarter inch of water sitting on the bottom, her waterbowl discolored and overflowing, and mold covering the wood I had gotten from the local pet store. She, luckily, was perching and not sitting in the water. I moved her out of the enclosure and she coiled around my wrist after I had checked her over a few times. She seems okay and is active and alert, but what happened to her is completely unacceptable. The person knew there was an animal in there, but still allowed it to get this bad. The weirdest part is, all my other reptiles are fine.

Moving on from that as there is little I can do besides avoid the person who 'cared' for her, Scarl seems okay. So, that's good. At this point though, I'm contemplating just moving her in to the other (larger) tank I was waiting to move her in to. I don't know what to do stress-wise. Should I just thoroughly clean out her tub? Or just move her to a tank she was going to be moved in to?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ailuros For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-01-2023)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast