Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,299

0 members and 3,299 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

It's been really, really rough...

Hey all. Haven't been as active on here as I usually am and, there's a valid reason for that. Back in December I got a flu that had been going around, then right at the turn of the year it gave way to a strep throat infection. After about a month of multiple antibiotics and steroids it finally went away, but my tonsils had remained inflamed and swollen. Finally set an appointment with an ENT doctor (which itself took a two month waiting period to actually do) and the decision was made to get a tonsillectomy as they had been swollen for 4 months straight.

The surgery went fine, but the first week was the most painful experience of my life, and I've lost over 10 pounds from being unable to eat much. I'm on day 10 post op as of this posting and the worst of it is thankfully over, but my throat is still sore and I can't eat anything "normal" for another week or so yet, and I've had to use up all my paid time off for the year to keep up with bills. Have finally felt well enough to return to animal upkeep at least, doing a little bit per day since my energy levels are utterly sapped. Unfortunately not without consequences though. My meal and superworm feeder bins had to be completely cleaned out as they got covered in mold from old food that didn't get removed in time, and several fish from my aquarium passed away because, in the worst timing ever, I got a random cold just before the surgery so I didn't have the energy to do a deep clean as I needed to rest where I could to shake it off. Among the casualties was my twig catfish/farlowella and the last of my dwarf cichlids.

All in all, has not been a good time in the slightest. But I'm on the mend and should be back to normal life again soon.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (04-24-2023),Aspen0122 (04-24-2023),Bogertophis (04-23-2023),EL-Ziggy (04-25-2023),Erie_herps (04-23-2023),Homebody (04-24-2023),OatBoii (04-23-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Oh no! Sorry you had to go through all of that, and I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend now.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Wow, you've had months of misery- we had no idea. I'm glad things are finally looking better for you- sorry about your losses- it's really hard to keep up with many animals if you have health issues. You're not the only one around here, either, to post something like this. > > >
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=1#post2781446

My brother & I used to get tonsillitis when we were kids, but we still have our tonsils- having them removed sounds plenty miserable- I'm partial to eating, & not so much into soup. Hang in there!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-23-2023 at 02:15 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: It's been really, really rough...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Wow, you've had months of misery- we had no idea. I'm glad things are finally looking better for you- sorry about your losses- it's really hard to keep up with many animals if you have health issues. You're not the only one around here, either, to post something like this. > > >
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=1#post2781446

My brother & I used to get tonsillitis when we were kids, but we still have our tonsils- having them removed sounds plenty miserable- I'm partial to eating, & not so much into soup. Hang in there!
    It's far worse having them removed as an adult, as there's more tissue to remove from years of fighting infections and growing in size, especially when they're swollen. The pain was so severe in fact, that a couple days after surgery the nerve endings of my ears had a horrible stinging sensation, as if hot knives were being stabbed into them. The doctor even warned me that was going to happen, but nothing could've prepared me for just how bad it truly was.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Re: It's been really, really rough...

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    It's far worse having them removed as an adult, as there's more tissue to remove from years of fighting infections and growing in size, especially when they're swollen. The pain was so severe in fact, that a couple days after surgery the nerve endings of my ears had a horrible stinging sensation, as if hot knives were being stabbed into them. The doctor even warned me that was going to happen, but nothing could've prepared me for just how bad it truly was.
    Gee, and I've always dreamed of having hot knives stabbing my ears...NOT! Actually I'm not surprised it's far worse as an adult- but this too shall pass. Hang in there.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)