Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

1 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Leopard gecko loose substrate questions...

Hi! So I'm moving Lenetta to a larger enclosure with a 40% topsoil, 40% sand, and 20% excavator clay substrate. Here's my problem: I bought the Scotts premium topsoil from walmart after several people recommended it. I opened it up, and I found little yellow balls with liquid inside (osmocote?) as well as a little perlite. is this a problem? do I need to pick it out? I also found a lot of mulch-like stuff, how big needs to go and how big can stay? Thanks!
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 423 Posts
    The label on Scott's Premium Topsoil does not list any fertilizer or perlite. It does note that it may or may not be made up of a bunch of ingredients, some possibly unsuitable for leopard geckos (food waste?), but is different in different regions (which makes it very hard to recommend responsibly to someone who doesn't live nearby). It isn't actually 'topsoil' either, but that's neither here nor there I suppose.

Best to use the "topsoil" for its intended purpose and use something that's not a mystery product for the gecko. If what you're doing is trying to add moisture-holding capacity to the sand mix, peat would do that.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-21-2023),Homebody (04-21-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,834 Times in 11,848 Posts
    I wouldn't use ANY such product for pets- not if you care about them. That stuff belongs in the garden & nowhere else. There can be most anything in it, contamination-wise, & it's not safe for pets. And yes, I'm very familiar with the product- I've filled holes with it. I grow organic tomatoes every year, lots of them, & do lots of other home gardening.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-21-2023 at 03:26 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Aw crud! I literally bought this after buying topsoil that was wayyyyy too rocky. I had a lot of people recommend it and it seemed pretty good. If I do go with peat, should I bake it? Actually, what about reptisoil?
    My name is Josiah, proud owner of Lenetta and Lea the leopard geckos and Bluebelly the fence lizard.

Thanks

Re: Leopard gecko loose substrate questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Lizrd_boy View Post
    ...I had a lot of people recommend it and it seemed pretty good....
    I know you care about your animals. Be very careful who you listen to. As for contamination, it's not only what you can see in it that's a problem for tiny pets. It's all the other stuff you can't see.

Thanks
    Right. I was a little skeptical at first, but these people have their pets in full bioactives, which is more than I can say, so I figured they must know what there talking about. But chemical fertilizers??? I draw my line there 😂.

What do you think of this? I called the company and they said it's just peat moss, nothing else. https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-cu-ft-...003P/205883917

Thanks

Right. I was a little skeptical at first, but these people have their pets in full bioactives, which is more than I can say, so I figured they must know what there talking about. But chemical fertilizers??? I draw my line there ��.

What do you think of this? I called the company and they said it's just peat moss, nothing else. https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-cu-ft-...003P/205883917
    Did you tell them WHY you were asking? And do you really think they know OR care about your pets? Or do you think they just want to sell their product? Hmm? Don't be so trusting. Understand that they bear no responsibility for anyone using their product in a way that's NOT intended. It's intended for garden use.

No opinion about the "peat moss"- it's not something I use. But the same caveat applies: it's intended for garden use- what % of contaminants are allowed? and what might they be? A gecko is a tiny fragile creature- it doesn't take much to harm it. There's a reason that products sold in pet stores FOR pets cost more- they're responsible for them being safe to use as intended for pets.

And remember- when most people (or companies) are asked about pet safety, they're not thinking about a tiny herp- they're thinking about dogs & cats.

The peat moss might be fine to use -ask Malum Argenteum if this is what he meant?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-21-2023 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    Yeah good point 😂. I guess peat might hold too much moisture anyway.

Thanks
    What about local topsoil? Like from a landscaping company?

Thanks

What about local topsoil? Like from a landscaping company?
    You have no way of knowing where they scooped it up from, nor what the land was used for previously. Might have been a farm that was heavily sprayed with pesticides, or a business where other toxic materials were dumped (legal or otherwise). And consider that even unoccupied "open" land gets plenty of illegal dumping, or runoff from other areas. No guarantees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast