I've mentioned before that I was planning on getting a 48"x20"x20" ABS enclosure from a local manufacturer but things have taken a turn for the worse and I'm not sure how to approach this situation or if I've been handling it correctly thus far...?

I think a little over a month ago I sent a $305 payment via Cash App to the person making the enclosures. I'd heard very good things about him and his business before and I had seen his enclosures in person, so I felt comfortable to pay in full before receiving it as he does not do payment plans or deposits. However, he stopped responding for a couple weeks and when I asked about the day I was supposed to pick up at a show near me he told me last minute that his mom was in the hospital and he felt uncomfortable leaving her. I told him I understood and he said I could pick it up at another show about 2 hours away from me two weeks later, so I scheduled off work for a second time and he one again told me last minute that he is unable to leave his mother and I said that it was okay, but I needed the enclosure within the next week. He said I could pick it up yesterday and meet his wife where they're located (~2 1/2 hours away) and he told me yesterday morning that she got called in to work and he could meet me somewhere about 2 hours away on Sunday to pick it up from him. Basically, since it was out of the 1 week time frame I asked for I said he could deliver it to me or give me a refund. The only issue is his refund policy is 85% purchase price AFTER the enclosure is sold, which I understand is similar to what many manufacturers do but I really need my money back. Haven't heard back yet.

He told me weeks ago that it would be ready to pick up. I was told multiple times that it would be ready to pick up at x date at x time and have taken time off work only to have to push it back again. I don't want to be insensitive because I know he lost his father last year and losing your parents can be hard, but I just wish he had been upfront that he isn't entirely sure when I could get it and offered to find a better solution. I just want transparency in communication.

Am I handling this correctly? Am I being too insensitive?