Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,098

0 members and 3,098 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Questions about heating a PVC enclosure

I'm going to get a 4x2x2 PVC enclosure for my BP when she grows out of her current 47 gallon tank.
    What should I do for heating? I've heard good things about using a RHP (Radiant Heat Panel), but It being inside the enclosure worries me.

Can my BP get burned?
    How do I mount it to the enclosure?
    What other recommendations for heating a PVC enclosure would you guys recommend?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,913 Times in 11,898 Posts
    I use neither PVC enclosures or RHPs, but many here do & love them- I believe certain sources of PVC enclosures will also install the RHPs for you, & are knowledgeable about what size RHP is needed- that would be the easiest & probably best way for you to handle it. Just giving a quick (& incomplete) answer. I believe the RHPs are the preferred way to heat PVC enclosures- I'll let others give you input on who's the best to buy from. As far as I know, they've proven very safe.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-02-2023),Ruby (04-02-2023)

Thanks

Re: Questions about heating a PVC enclosure

What kind of setup did you have for your BPs? (I think in other posts you said you used to own a couple?)
    You've been very helpful, and I appreciate that you're not judgmental; I was afraid to join this community, but you have been very welcoming.
    Thank you for all the help.
    Last edited by Ruby; 04-02-2023 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    What kind of setup did you have for your BPs? (I think in other posts you said you used to own a couple?)
    You've been very helpful, and I appreciate that you're not judgmental; I was afraid to join this community, but you have been very welcoming.
    Thank you for all the help.
    It really was "ages" ago when I kept BPs, so I was using glass tanks; I also had some Neodesha, but not for the BPs. That was way before what is popular now was even available. We know a lot more now about what works best for BPs, so it's no wonder I didn't have the best experience with them. BPs have never been my focus though- I'm a colubrid keeper mostly, & back then (for 20 years), I rescued & kept rattlesnakes, & other snakes native to the desert southwest (such as glossy, longnose, rosy boas, & gopher snakes).

I'm glad you joined us here- no one "knows everything"- we are all here to share our experience & learn from each other- and without the "drama" that is allowed or tolerated many other places.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-02-2023 at 08:32 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GuardianHunter (04-02-2023),Ruby (04-02-2023)

Thanks

I'm going to get a 4x2x2 PVC enclosure for my BP when she grows out of her current 47 gallon tank.
    What should I do for heating? I've heard good things about using a RHP (Radiant Heat Panel), but It being inside the enclosure worries me.

Can my BP get burned?
    What other recommendations for heating a PVC enclosure would you guys recommend?
    I'm sort of in the same questioning place you are, although I dont have a BP yet. From what I've been researching an RHP in a PVC tank is an excellent and safe way to keep the hot half, hot. Use a thermometer to control the heat with the probe on the cool side. RHP's won't burn the snake. I belive a 40watt RHP would be best. Delending on the PVC tank you buy, you may have to install it yourself. This will require drilling some holes. But again, Im really before a beginner at this! I'm sure someone more qualified will give a definite answer. Im interested in this question as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mistergreen For This Useful Post:

Ruby (04-02-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 444 Posts
    I have six PVC enclosures heated by RHPs (both ProProducts/ProHeat and VE brands). They're mounted by screwing them to the ceiling of the enclosure (so you'll need a screwdriver).

They don't get hot enough to burn a snake; the snake cannot lay on them and a quick touch isn't dangerous. They're probably the safest heat source, and also work the best in a PVC enclosure for a snake like a BP that should have a distinct but somewhat gradual heat gradient and careful-ish control of humidity.

For your first RHP, I'd recommend getting a ProHeat by contacting Bob at ProProducts -- he'll get info on the snake species, enclosure dimensions and ambient temps and do the math on what size/wattage panel would work best.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-02-2023),Homebody (04-03-2023),Ruby (04-02-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
    I'm sort of in the same questioning place you are, although I dont have a BP yet. From what I've been researching an RHP in a PVC tank is an excellent and safe way to keep the hot half, hot. Use a thermometer to control the heat with the probe on the cool side. RHP's won't burn the snake. I belive a 40watt RHP would be best. Delending on the PVC tank you buy, you may have to install it yourself. This will require drilling some holes. But again, Im really before a beginner at this! I'm sure someone more qualified will give a definite answer. Im interested in this question as well.
    You need to use a "thermostat", not a "thermometer" to control the heat. I'm sure that's what you meant to say? Thermostats control heat, thermometers just measure the temperature.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-03-2023),Ruby (04-02-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    For your first RHP, I'd recommend getting a ProHeat by contacting Bob at ProProducts -- he'll get info on the snake species, enclosure dimensions and ambient temps and do the math on what size/wattage panel would work best.
    Thank you!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-03-2023)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Can my BP get burned?
    I have a Pro Heat RHP coming soon, and will be ordering a herpstat 2 thermostat soon as well. While I hate some of the advice that r/ballpythons gives on reddit as well as their toxic and shameful attitude, one thing I have decided to incorporate is a 75w halogen for a daytime hot spot. I'm slowly switching mine and my boyfriend's animals to halogens as a main daytime heat source (except for the frogs, I like to use small UTHs mounted to the side).
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Ruby (04-03-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,218 Posts

Can my BP get burned?
    I use an 80w Vivarium Electronics RHP to heat my 3x2x2 plywood enclosure.

In the picture above, it's mounted to the ceiling on the left. 80w is a bit large for this enclosure, but I got it in case I later decide to expand to a 4x2x2.

No, it won't burn your snake. The surface temps get pretty high, hot to the touch, but, mounted as it is, your snake won't come into prolonged contact with it. The great thing about RHPs is that they provide heat without drying up your enclosure. So, they work really well for species like BPs that like it hot and humid.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-03-2023),Malum Argenteum (04-03-2023),Ruby (04-03-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast