Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,966

1 members and 2,965 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    Of what we have available in the US for carpet pythons Bredl's Pythons and Brisbane Locality Southern Coastal carpets are the two with the largest size potential. This does not mean they will certainly get huge, but stand a greater chance of attaining large sizes than a jungle. Both are heavier bodied than most other carpet subspecies as well

Brisbane locality southern coastals are said to be able to reach 8'+ easily and that's what Gio has posted in the last pictures. These or similar are generally what you see in the news when an aussie shares pics of a massive carpet. I have a pair as well and are featured in a somewhat recent thread I made here. My nearly 5yo female is ~6' and my 4yo male is about 4'. I'm certain I could have gotten them easily over 6-7' by this age, but prefer to grow my animals slower when possible. They're adults between 5.5-9' and can be kept in that range quite manageably.

Will get big and can get big are two different things with carpets and can be managed quite easily with careful monitoring of feeding and how it impacts their growth. I'm not pressing mine to reach enormous sizes. I won't be upset if that happens, but not trying to unnecessarily force it. I give them a couple months off of feeding in the winter and generally feed every 2-3 weeks give or take throughout the year.

If I remember correctly you have Tarahumaras and Amarali, yes? I do as well and both are a bit more forgiving of cool temperatures than other boas. I think a bredl's python or jungle would suit you well which care also very durable and cold tolerant, though I really enjoy both my northern and southern coastal carpets. Most carpets make excellent display critters and mine are frequently out in the open basking during the day and fairly active at night.

A bit rambly here, let me know if I need to clarify anything or if you have other questions.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-15-2023),Homebody (03-01-2023),Nick_MD (03-02-2023)