Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,992

2 members and 2,990 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Re: Juice, the Borneo Short Tail Python progression thread

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Between bloods, Borneos and Sumatrans there are plenty of beautiful options. From real dark to much lighter to reds and oranges...I'm very happy I went this route. That being said, I still need my first boa....
    Just when I thought I was sold on the red, I see your black one and OH WOW!

And Boas, what can I say, they are truly a special species. I just love them.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Just when I thought I was sold on the red, I see your black one and OH WOW!

And Boas, what can I say, they are truly a special species. I just love them.
    Generally speaking, I like contrast when choosing morphs. Luckily, being in the restaurant business finances limit my options and narrows the field, hahaha.

My experience with boas is very limited. When I was in the hobby years ago I kept Kings, corns and a BP. Of course, back then the internet wasn't an option to buy snakes (at least to my knowledge) so options were so much more limited. Now that the hobby has expanded so much it's hard to decide which species to keep. That being said, I pretty much had my mind made up to go for a BRB, but saw Juice and switched gears. Now, I know I want to add a boa next, but BCIs are making it tough to decide between a BCI and a BRB.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Juice, the Borneo Short Tail Python progression thread

Yeah, choosing snakes these days is difficult. Of course a BRB is on my wishlist as well. So I could not tell you which one is a better first choice. But I can assure you that you won’t be disappointed in a BCI.

Punch, Wild Type BCI
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-26-2018 at 09:57 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-02-2018),Gio (04-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Really cool looking guy!! I know nothing about these but now you got me looking lol! Care to share any more info.

He looks like he’s wearing a cannibal mask in a way lol. You could have named him Hannibal very easily haha. Great looking !!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-26-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Really cool looking guy!! I know nothing about these but now you got me looking lol! Care to share any more info.

He looks like he’s wearing a cannibal mask in a way lol. You could have named him Hannibal very easily haha. Great looking !!
    Thanks! I like the Hannibal idea, but Juice from Sons of Anarchy seemed to fit too for some reason.

I'm just getting to work, I'll share more info when I get home...

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Yeah, choosing snakes these days is difficult. Of course a BRB is on my wishlist as well. So I could not tell you which one is a better first choice. But I can assure you that you won’t be disappointed in a BCI.

Punch, Wild Type BCI
    Punch is gorgeous!
    My only concern with a BCI would be the size. My girlfriend has a "rule" that my snakes can't be longer than she is tall. She's 5 foot nothing, so that limits my options. I do feel like a BCI might be ok though if I get a smaller locality male and start from a juvenile....fingers crossed

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-03-2018),Reinz (03-26-2018),richardhind1972 (04-03-2018)

Thanks

Punch is gorgeous!
    My only concern with a BCI would be the size. My girlfriend has a "rule" that my snakes can't be longer than she is tall. She's 5 foot nothing, so that limits my options. I do feel like a BCI might be ok though if I get a smaller locality male and start from a juvenile....fingers crossed
    Look at central american, Nicaraguan, or any of the island or Mexican locality boas. They will all stay pretty small. My male CA motley is 3 years old now and is only maybe 4' long and about the girth of a hot dog. My 3.5 year old BCI hypo male is about 5' long and a good bit girthier.

But, with any locality, getting a male will typically mean a smaller size and if you start off with a baby, the slow growth will help you adjust and she will probably develop a liking for him before he gets bigger. Your STP will probably far outweigh even a 6' boa just by girth and mass alone.

I have boas and a BRB. both are great, but I'd go with a boa first... They tend to be out more in their enclosure in the day, easier to view, and a little mellower to handle. I have gotten lucky with my BRB in that she never went through a nippy / flighty stage, but I've heard that is common with BRBs. None of my 3 boas has ever been nippy or flighty and are a lot calmer generally speaking (easier to handle).
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (04-03-2018),richardhind1972 (04-03-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Look at central american, Nicaraguan, or any of the island or Mexican locality boas. They will all stay pretty small. My male CA motley is 3 years old now and is only maybe 4' long and about the girth of a hot dog. My 3.5 year old BCI hypo male is about 5' long and a good bit girthier.

But, with any locality, getting a male will typically mean a smaller size and if you start off with a baby, the slow growth will help you adjust and she will probably develop a liking for him before he gets bigger. Your STP will probably far outweigh even a 6' boa just by girth and mass alone.

I have boas and a BRB. both are great, but I'd go with a boa first... They tend to be out more in their enclosure in the day, easier to view, and a little mellower to handle. I have gotten lucky with my BRB in that she never went through a nippy / flighty stage, but I've heard that is common with BRBs. None of my 3 boas has ever been nippy or flighty and are a lot calmer generally speaking (easier to handle).

Thank you. I'm in the very early stages of research into BCIs and narrowing down localities to find the smaller ones. This reply definitely helps. And to this point, primarily just coincidence, all my snakes are males, so why break the trend, hahaha.

As for the STP outweighing a 6 foot boa, I'm counting on it, hahaha. I showed my girlfriend pictures and videos of adults so she was aware of the mass of a Borneo. She didn't love it, but gave me the green light. Apparently she gets more hung up on length than girth, so I went girthy, hahaha.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,576 Times in 2,987 Posts

Punch is gorgeous!
    Even a male Colombian boa will not go much over 6 feet. The boa will not be as thick as your STP either.

That said, is your girl going to take out the tape measure in 5 years to make sure the snake is under 5 feet?

They spend most of their time curled up and a great many folks over estimate the length of their snakes when "eye balling" measurements.

Sniper is a Barranquilla, Colombian boa. A locality animal of decent size. But he's still not 7 feet long and is close to 6 years old.

I think you'd be fine with almost any boa constrictor male and even some females to be honest.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-02-2018),Craiga 01453 (04-03-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Even a male Colombian boa will not go much over 6 feet. The boa will not be as thick as your STP either.

That said, is your girl going to take out the tape measure in 5 years to make sure the snake is under 5 feet?

They spend most of their time curled up and a great many folks over estimate the length of their snakes when "eye balling" measurements.

Sniper is a Barranquilla, Colombian boa. A locality animal of decent size. But he's still not 7 feet long and is close to 6 years old.

I think you'd be fine with almost any boa constrictor male and even some females to be honest.

Thank you!!

I highly doubt she'll pull out a tape measure, hahahaha. I'm hoping I can educate her a bit more and since she's already been so open to snakes she will surely be open to learning. I figure if I start with a juvenile she'llbe more inclined to be comfortable as it grows.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Gio (04-03-2018)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast