Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,509

1 members and 3,508 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Severe scale rot?

My friends BP has severe scale rot that has advanced pretty rapidly. We're working on getting her to the vet asap, but in the mean time we wanted to know how to make her most comfortable while we wait. I see posts about soaking in betadine but I'm not sure if that's safe since it's open wounds and oozing pus. I know this is an emergency and needs to be treated by a vet, she will be seen. Again, we just want to know what can help her while we wait for her appointment. Put her on a towel and remove substrate? Soak or no soak? Will that dry the skin out more? Should we go ahead and purchase an antibiotic ointment now or wait? Anything to make her in less pain and discomfort than she's already in until she can gets meds from the vet. I can add a pic if it's helpful but let me know. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Like most suspected scale rot cases that appear here I bet it is actually a burn.

Does you friend have a tstat?
    Pics of snake?
    Pics of setup?
    Last edited by KMG; 12-21-2016 at 01:21 AM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-26-2023),Homebody (12-28-2023),Sonny1318 (12-21-2016)

Thanks

Re: Severe scale rot?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Like most suspected scale rot cases that appear here I bet it is actually a burn.

Does you friend have a tstat?
    Pics of snake?
    Pics of setup?
    Here is a picture, she has been on the same heating pad for 2 years with no problem.
    http://imgur.com/a/Dn1uD

At this point, I'm not asking what it is because I know the vet will confirm/treat it when we take her. I just want to know what will make her comfortable such as soaking vs not soaking and things like that. I appreciate help, I just have a hard time asking for advice on forums because people get extremely hostile and everyone assumes they know more about snakes than the next person and think that every one else's methods of care are wrong

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    From that photo I am not seeing scale rot. Or I should say I have not seen it like that.
    I personally would get the actual temperature of the glass under the substrate........

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (12-21-2016)

Thanks
    That looks more like a burn. Anyway I'd avoid soaking and treat the wound with betadine. Remove the substrate, disinfect the cage and accessories and put back the snake on simple papertowel.

If the heat pad is not regulated by a thermostat unplug it NOW. It doesn't matter how long it worked, it takes one time when it doesn't and you end up spending much more on vet and drugs than on a thermostat.

Regarding the hostility, whether it's a burn or scale rot they're a clear sign there's something wrong with the husbandry. No way around that, gotta accept it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aste88 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-21-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnootBoop View Post
    Here is a picture, she has been on the same heating pad for 2 years with no problem.
    http://imgur.com/a/Dn1uD

At this point, I'm not asking what it is because I know the vet will confirm/treat it when we take her. I just want to know what will make her comfortable such as soaking vs not soaking and things like that. I appreciate help, I just have a hard time asking for advice on forums because people get extremely hostile and everyone assumes they know more about snakes than the next person and think that every one else's methods of care are wrong
    You need to find out what it is so you can stop it from getting any worse.

That looks like a burn so the uth needs to be turned off immediately. I'd remove it and test it and the thermostat.

Is there a tstat?
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    That's a burn not scale rot. I'm betting there's no thermostat on the UTH, or if there was one then it's failed and running wide open.

Betadine on the affected area, minimal setup - paper towel, hide, water bowl - and unplug the UTH. The vet will probably prescribe antibiotics and silvadene.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Dahliasmom (12-22-2016)

Thanks

What if my snake looks like this right now, but doesnt have a a heating pad under her currently. Like her original tank does, but we've removed and quarantined her in a tank with heat lamps above instead of a heating source underneath, and she's gotten worse since we've done that

Thanks

It would be easier if you sent a photo of your own snake so we could see the issue better because maybe you are having the scale rot issue if it is getting worse? If it is a burn and it isn't being treated properly then it could become infected and get worse. I'm not the most educated on burns so that's the best I can do as far as suggestion and I could also be wrong. There are others here more capable of helping you and this forum has threads touching on these subjects as well!
    If you do post photos of the issue I would post it in your own thread since this one is on the other persons issue and it could become confusing with people trying to help two different people in the same thread.
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BeansTheDerp For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-28-2023)