Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,257

2 members and 3,255 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,579 Times in 2,989 Posts

Re: what does your snake cage look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Mangiapane85 View Post
    Radical Gio. Just, well... radical!

Didn't you say the ambient lighting changes colors? Or has the option to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No,

I just have 2 separate lights. I turn off the day time lights, actually they are on timers, and provide a few hours of moon light before I black out the cages for overnight.

There are folks here with LED systems that turn all sorts of colors which is a pretty nice feature.

This is just a very simple, waterproof, inexpensive LED light that I use in all of my cages.

Thanks

You never said they should. I never said you did. But you were definitely implying that snakes will do it because they prefer to or like to, and I just don't really agree with that. if you have the hides in the proper area across the temperature gradient, they won't have to risk their bodies by moving a heavy rock hide or whatever the case may be.
    A prior post of yours reads, "A snake shouldn't HAVE to "move" it's hide. That's a little crazy to even say in my opinion." And I am, in fact, implying that snakes will "move" there hides because they prefer a temperature difference of 1 degree, or 2 degrees, or a 1/2 degree. You don't necessarily need to agree with that, nobody needs to, but it still holds true as fact. The proof is in the pudding, or, more accurately, in observation of >1 hide in an enclosure which allows for observation. It's not something easily discernible in racks, with 1 or even no hides, or in any closure with mulch for bedding.

I had uploaded the photo below here on this forum ~2 weeks ago on another thread for another topic, but perhaps it serves a purpose here as well.

The two hides you see above were placed there by me while the snake was in a tub a few feet away dining out. After the snake returns to his home (no eating in the living room!) and as the hours pass the hides will move from their original positions. The hide on the left is in the coolest corner of the tank. The one on the right is almost in the hottest spot. The hottest spot is actually >100 degrees @ 18" under the heat lamp (this is a 40 gallon tank = 36" x 18" x 18"). Years ago we had put hides there but never ever saw even 1 snake which preferred that high a temperature. The very far right of the photo, to the right of the hide, is a water dish. By keeping the water in the hottest spot we not only take up space that the snake wouldn't use anyway, but we also allow for the humidity to range from 60% on the hot side to 80% on the cool side (yes, the humidity is the lowest right next to the water and the highest farthest from the water, still not sure how that is but evaporation probably figures in). We couldn't get the humidity up to 80% when the water was placed in the center of the tank or in the cooler side of the tank. We like a humidity higher than what is usually recommended. The last incomplete shed I got was ~35 years ago, and I have never caused an RI (though I've adopted snakes that did have RI).

Also, as you can see in the photo, those plastic hides weigh what, a 1/2 oz each? And so your statement "risk their bodies by moving a heavy rock hide" could never be.

The 1st few times, or few dozen times, that a hide is moved it might go unnoticed. But after 40 years of snakes, different sizes of snakes, different species of snakes, all kept with >1 hide on newspaper, it begins to become obvious. The snake goes into a hide and its coiled body occupies perhaps ~2/3s or 3/4s of the hide. Does it lie in the center of the hide? Sometimes. But not usually. We know this because our snakes are pets. We handle regularly, which entails lifting hides off them. It's not something that the rackers feeding F/T are gonna take note of.

Now, those hides in the photo are 12" x 9". Is the temperature uniform across the hide? No, it's not. In the last year I, like many humans, have been exposed to a temperature range of >100 degrees, literally. I've been out in July heat waves of >100 degrees and in February cold snaps of <0 degrees. Snakes? Tropical snakes? No. Never. Still with me Mangia Pane? (mia nonna always said that to me!) So, for me and other humans a difference of 5 or even 10 degrees ain't nothing, 'cause relative to what we are exposed to it's a drop in the bucket. For an equatorial reptile on the other hand, one that since dinosaurs have been pooping in puddles has never had a temperature range of 10 or 15 degrees, even 0.1 degree is noticeable. Still with me? Follow along now. So, the snakes coil up inside the hide and over the course of hours or even days they inadvertently push up against the more comfortable side, the side with the temperature that they feel most comfortable with. Snakes are hardly ever completely stationary for more than a few hours, they are nearly incessantly squirming (for lack of a better word) around. This can be indiscernible in racks, but pet hobbyists can more easily take note of this. (Ok almost done now.) When we use a substrate which allows for snakes to "slide" their hides a few inches in any direction we are providing a more comfortable environment for them and we are more cognizant of their precise temperature preferences. If the snake is always in the cool hide immobilized up against the side of the tank than we know the tank is too hot. Regardless of the temperature or what the "experts" say we know it's too hot 'cause the snake is communicating this to us via behavior. And vice versa, if the snake is always in the hot hide immobilized up against the side of the tank then we know we need to increase the temperature in the tank 'cause its too cold. Spero che capisci tutto

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macropodus View Post
    A prior post of yours reads, "A snake shouldn't HAVE to "move" it's hide. That's a little crazy to even say in my opinion." And I am, in fact, implying that snakes will "move" there hides because they prefer a temperature difference of 1 degree, or 2 degrees, or a 1/2 degree. You don't necessarily need to agree with that, nobody needs to, but it still holds true as fact. The proof is in the pudding, or, more accurately, in observation of >1 hide in an enclosure which allows for observation. It's not something easily discernible in racks, with 1 or even no hides, or in any closure with mulch for bedding.

I had uploaded the photo below here on this forum ~2 weeks ago on another thread for another topic, but perhaps it serves a purpose here as well.

The two hides you see above were placed there by me while the snake was in a tub a few feet away dining out. After the snake returns to his home (no eating in the living room!) and as the hours pass the hides will move from their original positions. The hide on the left is in the coolest corner of the tank. The one on the right is almost in the hottest spot. The hottest spot is actually >100 degrees @ 18" under the heat lamp (this is a 40 gallon tank = 36" x 18" x 18"). Years ago we had put hides there but never ever saw even 1 snake which preferred that high a temperature. The very far right of the photo, to the right of the hide, is a water dish. By keeping the water in the hottest spot we not only take up space that the snake wouldn't use anyway, but we also allow for the humidity to range from 60% on the hot side to 80% on the cool side (yes, the humidity is the lowest right next to the water and the highest farthest from the water, still not sure how that is but evaporation probably figures in). We couldn't get the humidity up to 80% when the water was placed in the center of the tank or in the cooler side of the tank. We like a humidity higher than what is usually recommended. The last incomplete shed I got was ~35 years ago, and I have never caused an RI (though I've adopted snakes that did have RI).

Also, as you can see in the photo, those plastic hides weigh what, a 1/2 oz each? And so your statement "risk their bodies by moving a heavy rock hide" could never be.

The 1st few times, or few dozen times, that a hide is moved it might go unnoticed. But after 40 years of snakes, different sizes of snakes, different species of snakes, all kept with >1 hide on newspaper, it begins to become obvious. The snake goes into a hide and its coiled body occupies perhaps ~2/3s or 3/4s of the hide. Does it lie in the center of the hide? Sometimes. But not usually. We know this because our snakes are pets. We handle regularly, which entails lifting hides off them. It's not something that the rackers feeding F/T are gonna take note of.

Now, those hides in the photo are 12" x 9". Is the temperature uniform across the hide? No, it's not. In the last year I, like many humans, have been exposed to a temperature range of >100 degrees, literally. I've been out in July heat waves of >100 degrees and in February cold snaps of <0 degrees. Snakes? Tropical snakes? No. Never. Still with me Mangia Pane? (mia nonna always said that to me!) So, for me and other humans a difference of 5 or even 10 degrees ain't nothing, 'cause relative to what we are exposed to it's a drop in the bucket. For an equatorial reptile on the other hand, one that since dinosaurs have been pooping in puddles has never had a temperature range of 10 or 15 degrees, even 0.1 degree is noticeable. Still with me? Follow along now. So, the snakes coil up inside the hide and over the course of hours or even days they inadvertently push up against the more comfortable side, the side with the temperature that they feel most comfortable with. Snakes are hardly ever completely stationary for more than a few hours, they are nearly incessantly squirming (for lack of a better word) around. This can be indiscernible in racks, but pet hobbyists can more easily take note of this. (Ok almost done now.) When we use a substrate which allows for snakes to "slide" their hides a few inches in any direction we are providing a more comfortable environment for them and we are more cognizant of their precise temperature preferences. If the snake is always in the cool hide immobilized up against the side of the tank than we know the tank is too hot. Regardless of the temperature or what the "experts" say we know it's too hot 'cause the snake is communicating this to us via behavior. And vice versa, if the snake is always in the hot hide immobilized up against the side of the tank then we know we need to increase the temperature in the tank 'cause its too cold. Spero che capisci tutto
    Yes, I understand tutto... and I never said that snakes don't or won't move their hides, especially if it's a lightweight plastic one on newspaper (it's kind of inevitable in that case). I just merely said that they shouldn't have to or feel the "need" to if the temps are good.

And 100 is too hot for a captive bred BP. Probably why it moves its hide away from the hotspot. If indeed you're referring to a BP. Just my .02 cents

0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Pastel Enchi
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Orange Dream Yellowbelly
    0.1 Leopard
    0.1 Firefly
    1.0 Hypo Brooks King
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    My caging is part of the hobby for me. I enjoy the habitat as much as I enjoy the animals. I have a room that is dedicated to my snakes and personal relaxation.

The cages have perches, backgrounds, plants, day and night lighting and some other treats.

Everything is easily broken down for cleaning however I only have 4 snakes. Providing naturalistic setups becomes more work when you are keeping/breeding multiple animals. Spot cleaning is key for daily maintenance which keeps things fairly sterile until I do a major overhaul that includes high powered vacuuming wet sterilization, drying and resetting the cage back to its display quality.

I set my collection limit at 4 animals. Snakes that I really wanted and was very interested in, then went from there with the caging.

I usually catch all of the animals exhibiting behaviors that they wouldn't display if set up without the options I provide.

Simply amazing setups . .. You should start your own business up !!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Gio (11-15-2016)

Thanks
    Macropodus, those sure are a lot of words to convince us you're right about something that's completely a matter of opinion (i.e., that it's a caging problem-- and that one is your word-- to use a mulch-type substrate). Did you need to patronize MangiaPane85 like that? Sheesh.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nellasaur For This Useful Post:

kath_ (11-16-2016),Sallos (11-15-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Here are my non-tub setups! I took the photos from inside the enclosure, because it feels nice to me LOL. I just realized after going through my photos that I hardly have any of the full setup from the outside.

And an example of how I go about tub setups (not in rack). It was Cake's tub before I moved him to the exoterra pictured above!

Last edited by redshepherd; 11-15-2016 at 04:16 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Gio (11-15-2016),kath_ (11-16-2016),Mangiapane85 (11-15-2016),Nellasaur (11-16-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Here are my non-tub setups! I took the photos from inside the enclosure, because it feels nice to me LOL. I just realized after going through my photos that I hardly have any of the full setup from the outside.

And an example of how I go about tub setups (not in rack). It was Cake's tub before I moved him to the exoterra pictured above!

HAve I mentioned how much I love your photo skills?? My gosh. They are amazing. Beautiful setups too!.. what camera do you use?

0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Pastel Enchi
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Leopard
    0.1 Firefly
    1.0 Hypo Brooks King
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

HAve I mentioned how much I love your photo skills?? My gosh. They are amazing. Beautiful setups too!.. what camera do you use?

Oh thanks! It's so sad, because these photos are just iphone photos. But for the usual portrait photos I take of my snakes, I switch between a Nikon D7000 and an old school Canon EOS 30D. I mostly use the Canon on my GTP.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Mike17 (02-17-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Oh thanks! It's so sad, because these photos are just iphone photos. But for the usual portrait photos I take of my snakes, I switch between a Nikon D7000 and an old school Canon EOS 30D. I mostly use the Canon on my GTP.
    Nice. All I have is my iPhone7 camera lol. Check out my new thread in BP pictures!

0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Butter
    1.0 Pastel Enchi
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Leopard
    0.1 Firefly
    1.0 Hypo Brooks King
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    This is the enclosure I designed for our BP. The temperature in our living room varies over the course of the year between humid and mid 80's in the summer, to dry and 55 in the winter during the day when no one's home. So the cage is designed to retain heat efficiently and to be easy to clean while offering an enriched and spacious environment. It's built around the dimensions of an under-bed storage bin cut down to a bit under 4", which makes the tray for the bottom. It also lets me use a UTH where it only has to heat through the bottom tray, not through the 1/2" PVC.
    The radiant heat panel is mounted under the "upstairs" shelf, so less heat is lost through the ceiling; and there is enough insulation plus air gap to keep that upper shelf in the mid-80's even with the RHP under it. Both upper levels are made with removable trays that hold substrate and hides, so they provide comfy places to hole up as well as climbing opportunities and thermal variation. There are sliding panels to cover or uncover the vent holes and control the humidity, and individually detachable quilt-type insulation panels all around it.

All of these were taken in the middle of the day, when he's snoozing and not visible. Oh, another detail is that the white panel at the bottom with the arch cutout and the blue and green foam on top of it compensates for the gap made by the sliding doors and covers the crevasse where he could otherwise potentially hurt himself trying to squeeze his head down in the gap. The full spectrum lighting in there is mostly for the plants, and it's on a timer.

He still does use all of the hides in there, even though some of them look more like hats on him these days, so they'll be phased out soon.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

kath_ (11-16-2016),Maddlesrain (11-15-2016),Nellasaur (11-16-2016)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast