Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,464

2 members and 3,462 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: New baby and new to boas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Dang, that's just bad luck all around lol. I am jealous though of that Anaconda but I just cant bring myself to get something that will end up so big. Same goes with retics. Love both of them but in the end, those both will be more snakes than I can "tote" around if needed.

Maybe the boa you babysat for wasn't comfortable? Pretty much all of my girls just destroy food anytime. The only exception is the BP who will usually go off food from Oct/Nov until about Mar/Apr, then she goes gung ho again and eats everything.

@Cloud- Yeah I've noticed that from place to place. The shop by my house has hoppers which are pretty darn small where as the normal place I go has pretty meaty hoppers.
    I used to have a lot more giant snakes, but unfortunate circumstances changed that. That is a very good possibility that she was uncomfortable, the set up they had given me wasn't the best. I do miss my giants and plan to get more at a much later date, but they are black holes for food. It just disappears lol 😂 checked on her tonight and she's looking good with where she's at with digestion lol. I'm glad I have my frozen mice because the hoppers at the shop I get my feeders from are tiny 😒 but they do very small mice so I guess I'd be okay

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well if you plan on purchasing food from them regularly, I would just eyeball the thickness of your boa and then when you go down to buy a mouse, ask to a small adult. Then just gauge whether that would be better than the hopper. The place I go, ive been going for years so I know all their sizes pretty much by heart lol. just remember, you want a slight lump but not a football And yeah that's my whole reason for not getting a giant like a retic or anaconda. If something happens, it will be much easier to work with my dumerils, bp, carpet, boas and bearded dragon vs a 10' retic or anaconda lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Artemisace (09-28-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well if you plan on purchasing food from them regularly, I would just eyeball the thickness of your boa and then when you go down to buy a mouse, ask to a small adult. Then just gauge whether that would be better than the hopper. The place I go, ive been going for years so I know all their sizes pretty much by heart lol. just remember, you want a slight lump but not a football And yeah that's my whole reason for not getting a giant like a retic or anaconda. If something happens, it will be much easier to work with my dumerils, bp, carpet, boas and bearded dragon vs a 10' retic or anaconda lol.
    I had an 11' tiger retic that pinned my arm one time when I was handling him. It wasn't a malicious thing, he was just holding on so he didn't fall. That was really the moment I realized how powerful he truly was, you can always kinda guess but when you get a demonstration like that it kinda puts the whole thing into perspective. The really crazy thing is that I know the anaconda will be far more powerful when she's that size and will be more than double the weight. One of the reasons I got into boas was because I wanted to get back in the "larger" snakes and boas aren't what I would consider giants by any means. I've also had the chance to play with a couple of larger boas and just fell in love with them so there's that too lol Yeah the shop I go to I have been going to ever since I started keeping snakes, actually got my first ball python from them, they just don't get very many mouse hoppers very often and they sell out of the big ones quick. So as long as she takes frozen thawed I'll be okay because I get those from rodentpro.com in bulk.

Thanks

New pics from yesterday afternoon of my little girl climbing a tree 😊

She ate an FT mouse hopper for today so happy days on that 😊

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Artemisace For This Useful Post:

Fraido (10-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    She is gorgeous. I can't wait to get another boa. I love ball pythons and am really happy to be able to in a situation where I can keep them again but to be honest, I really got this new one just to get the g/f used to snakes. She had never touched a snake before and has always been deathly afraid of them. Now she is doing a lot better. There is def another boa in my future!! She fell in love with the ball and we have watched enough youtube vids about boas that she is totally warming up to the idea of getting one now. I couldn't be happier that the love of my life is warming up to something that has been such a passion of mine since I was a kid. Life is good! That's a good looking girl you have there!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Artemisace (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Break your g/f in on a carpet python!! If she can handle a feisty jungle carpet, she can handle anything!! With that said, I love Ally's spitfire attitude although she is starting to lose it since she is getting used to me now and really only seems to get excited over mice now
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Carpets are interesting I used to have one. They can definitely be bittey little weirdos. I've really come to love boas nice size to them and mostly super tame. I'd agree with getting her used to a carpet but I've had much more luck getting people used to handling tame snakes and showing them aggressive ones and letting them decide if they want to hold the bittey ones

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123