Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

2 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts

Need help identifying a dwarf retic...

I'm sooooo excited I just bought my first dwarf reticulated python! I should be picking it up at the FedEx ship center next Wednesday. The guy I got it from wasn't sure if it was Graniteback or Super Graniteback (or not Graniteback). Can anyone tell from the photos below? The breeding was a 50% Jampea (dwarf) Graniteback het albino x 50% Jampea (dwarf) Graniteback het albino. So we know she is a 50% Jampea (dwarf) albino but not sure about the Graniteback... Can anyone tell from the photos? I'm no expert on retics, I've been studying ball python genetics for the last year LOL. She sure is a pretty thing, check out these photos, simply amazing! We named her 'Lucy'! I'm so excited to get her I'm not sure I'll even sleep the next few days LOL!! I'm going to carry her around the house all day long until she is puppy dog tame HA!

Last edited by cchardwick; 07-29-2016 at 12:00 AM.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I'm not a fan of the seller you went through but that's just my opinion Congrats on your new baby! I can tell you are super excited, that's awesome!
    She does not appear to be a graniteback.
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    Well I can tell you I've been texting the seller and he is very responsive and very informative, much more so than the big breeders out there that don't seem to communicate very well. And I'm getting the snake in the photo, not some stock photo that doesn't match the actual snake. So far it's been a great experience.

I'm thinking that some day I may cross her with a super dwarf, maybe something with multiple genes and het for albino to get some really cool babies.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 07-29-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Need help identifying a dwarf retic...

To the best of my knowledge granite back is the visual het for anthrax. Doesn't appear to be granite back. 50% dwarf 50% mainland? Hope you're ready for a 12'+ snake! Looks beautiful!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I very well could be wrong about granite back being the het for anthrax. Either way, great looking snake!

Thanks

Actually according to 'World of Retics' the Graniteback gene is co-dominant, but they don't seem to have a photo on that website. First produced by NERD in 2002. They also have a super form but again no photos on the website:

http://www.worldofretics.com/morphs/granite-back/

http://www.worldofretics.com/morphs/super-granite-back/

I actually wanted to get one of the giant snakes before they totally ban the transport across state lines. And I wasn't really ready for a full blown mainland retic, they just get a bit too big. And the super dwarfs are a bit too small for me, I want something of a giant. I'm planning on keeping her in my ARS-8018 tub for a few months at least, hopefully for 6-12 months. Then I'm considering a stack of Vision 632 enclosures. They are six feet long, three feet deep and 18 inches high. Planning on getting several stacked together, that way I can 'simply' move her from one dirty level to a clean level without 'much hassle' LOLOL.

It looks like they banned the transport of Burmese Pythons across state lines. That's a shame since now I can't even consider one, and if I bred it forget about selling the babies. I actually had a really tough time trying to find African Soft Fur rats here in Colorado because they are listed on the Lacy act and can't be transported across state lines. I still can't understand why since my rats and mice breed faster and the ASF will die in the cold unlike my rats and mice. And my rats and mice produce way faster than ASF, I'm almost tempted to get rid of them because they are not very good producers.

I actually plan on keeping her a bit on the smaller size by not power feeding her like most breeders. Once she is an adult I'll probably stick with jumbo rats every other week or so... The trick to having a good snake like this would be to tame her down as much as possible when she is small. I don't mind a bite from a relatively small snake that's just a few pounds, but a bite from a full size retic would be something else!

In a few years this will be me just taking a stroll through the park with my pet snake LOLOL!

And if I get bored I can have the kids take it for a swim in the pool LOLOL!!

Last edited by cchardwick; 07-29-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks
    And who needs a girlfriend when I can fall asleep on the couch watching movies with my pet snake LOLOL!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

WintersSerpentine (08-05-2016)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I don't know if World of Retics has it quite right. They also list anthrax as a recessive. I was talking to my bf about this last night and he wasn't 100% sure but it was thought there are two types of granitebacks, the graniteback that is it's own morph with the super and the graniteback that is the het anthrax but it's not really spelled out anywhere (I was trying to find some info so I could link it for you but didn't find anything). retic people are an odd bunch sometimes haha
    Hope you'll post pics of your girl when she shows up, good luck with her!
    For the Horde!

Thanks
    That snake is from Mathew Martin. I'd trust his opinion. Graniteback is the het form of anthrax. Not all het anthrax are visiually obvious Graniteback.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,865 Times in 4,781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    To the best of my knowledge granite back is the visual het for anthrax. Doesn't appear to be granite back. 50% dwarf 50% mainland? Hope you're ready for a 12'+ snake! Looks beautiful!
    I have some 50% SD 100% purple females. They should top out 11-12 feet, what I call a nice size for a retic. Big enough to be fun, but not giants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast