Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

2 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Very, very sick snake. Any help appreciated.

I'm using a bulb for both snakes. Wondering if the lamps need a thermostat at all. Their habitats never get above 95 on the hottest side, but maybe it would be a good failsafe? Either way, no, I haven't used a UTH for my snake and I'm gonna have to body slam my friend if she continues to use one after this.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

There are only two ways to keep a ball python as far as I am concerned. Either on a thermostat or with proper ambient heat only. Ambient heating is generally for experienced keepers with large collections. I highly suggest you get a thermostat.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Greensleeves001 (07-02-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    There is nothing wrong with using a UTH or heat tape as long as it is regulated by a thermostat - and in many cases it is better than a heat lamp or CHE since a UTH doesn't clobber the humidity in the enclosure like a lamp or CHE does.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Greensleeves001 (07-02-2016),wolfy-hound (07-30-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i hate to say it but there has been no improvement of that poor girl under your friend's care/ownership. it seems she has perpetuated poor living conditions that has led to bad sheds, over heating that has caused really bad burns and possible neurological damage, internal digestive issues, almost zero growth, etc. does she handle her snake? did she not notice the burns or liquid poo? this is so upsetting. your friend needs to learn the basics of BP keeping and responsibility. she can start here - http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet. until then she should not be keeping snakes. sorry, but the truth sometimes hurt.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Fazer72110 (07-02-2016),Greensleeves001 (07-02-2016)

Thanks

Came back to update, totally forgot about this post. The snake seemed to be doing better, but I took the snake to the vet, they kept her for a few days after bandaging and injections. Unfortunately her health declined quickly and she passed away. The vet said it was due to complications of her first burn, and was unable to determine if this was a new burn, infection, or a combination of the two. Her digestive issues were definitely from not being taken care of by her previous owner though, as my friend was feeding her regularly. She was likely at least two years old due to the way her eyes bugged out, almost too big for her skull, as most of her bones weren't properly developed. I'm really sad I couldn't do more for the poor thing, and my friend knows she should've definitely taken the snake to a vet when she first got it instead of having these complications develop in her care and is very remorseful.

Thank you to everyone who replied and gave me their input, I learned an enormous amount.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12