Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,263

1 members and 3,262 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

When people force their own agendas on animals...

Just got the worst question ever.

It still amazes me how many people think that animals who are strictly carnivores (and very specific carnivores) can become vegetarian. Or that ball pythons can eat slices of beef you buy from the market. I've had someone I know in person scold me on facebook for offering a live rat, back when Cake wouldn't consistently eat F/T. And then she told me, "Don't buy rats. Buy meat from the market. Or chicken."

Reminds me of around a year ago when the internet blew up over whether cats and dogs can be strictly vegan (cats especially are very much carnivores... dogs can live, but will be very unhealthy and get sick). There are already vegan dog/cat foods being sold in stores. Wild.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-05-2016 at 06:29 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Alicia (07-07-2016),Fraido (07-05-2016),Greensleeves001 (07-08-2016),JodanOrNoDan (07-05-2016),Slim (07-05-2016)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Comes down to some people are just dumb. Some people are ignorant. Some are both. Most of the time you can just look at something's teeth and generally figure out what it needs to eat. A python's teeth are designed to capture prey. I can't even figure out the logic behind vegan humans let alone trying to make a snake, dog or cat a vegetarian.

Thanks
    Some people don't think. I mean, it's mostly farm people here. Not a lot of people who are against eating meat. One young farm girl told me that it's cruel to feed them rodents, even those that were gassed first. I said "so it would be better if they ate chicken from the store?" and she said yes . I asked her what the difference was. Asked if maybe the gassed rodents even had a better death than the chickens who are stunned with electricity and then have their necks cut (which she didn't have a problem with). She couldn't come up with a reason, but still felt that store meat would be preferable. Ok, that's just one ditzy 12-year-old. But it doesn't seem to be an uncommon belief. Idk people, try to explain your beliefs to yourself before you share them, see if they make any sense .

I don't like it when people feed their cats or dogs vegetarian/vegan kibble. But at the same time, most cheap kibbles have almost no meat in them anyway. And the most popular dog food in the US is Ol' Roy. So I don't feel like those that do it for their beliefs are any worse than those that do it for financial reasons.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

4theSNAKElady (07-07-2016),Alicia (07-07-2016),redshepherd (07-05-2016)

Thanks

Re: When people force their own agendas on animals...

I work in a vet clinic and we see people trying to force their cats/dogs to be 'vegan' all the time. When you explain that cats can't survive without meat, the argument is usually that "soy protein fills the same role as meat protein"...umm, yeah cause beans have all the same vitamins and amino acids as animal muscle and organs...People are just...ugh. This is why I like animals :/

While on the subject, the vegans I know also are firm believers that it is cruel to keep any animal in a cage. So I really should just let the snake and fish roam freely all over the house. If they truly love me, they won't run away, right?
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Greensleeves001 (07-08-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    As a general rule, humans are dumber than a bag of hammers...
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

4theSNAKElady (07-07-2016),ballpythonluvr (07-07-2016),dr del (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    I'll also point out that everyone who keeps pets "forces their agenda" on them at least a little. Do you believe in crating a dog or not? Do you spay/neuter your mammals and at what age? Do you use tubs or a vivarium? Do you feed live or f/t? Do you cage or not (this comes up with some small pets like ferrets and rabbits)? We all have agendas and anyone who lives with us is stuck with them, lol. Including pets.

BUT. . .you should be flexible and do what is necessary for the well-being of your pet. As long as those dependent on you aren't being harmed by it, agendize yer hart out!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowy For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (07-06-2016)

Thanks

John, that video is a perfect response to any of these kinds of questions ever LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Comes down to some people are just dumb. Some people are ignorant. Some are both. Most of the time you can just look at something's teeth and generally figure out what it needs to eat. A python's teeth are designed to capture prey. I can't even figure out the logic behind vegan humans let alone trying to make a snake, dog or cat a vegetarian.
    Seriously, and python teeth aren't built to chew either, even just in that regard? I don't know what makes people think they can eat sliced beef, like a dog or cat can. o__o

Quote Originally Posted by Willowy View Post
    Some people don't think. I mean, it's mostly farm people here. Not a lot of people who are against eating meat. One young farm girl told me that it's cruel to feed them rodents, even those that were gassed first. I said "so it would be better if they ate chicken from the store?" and she said yes . I asked her what the difference was. Asked if maybe the gassed rodents even had a better death than the chickens who are stunned with electricity and then have their necks cut (which she didn't have a problem with). She couldn't come up with a reason, but still felt that store meat would be preferable. Ok, that's just one ditzy 12-year-old. But it doesn't seem to be an uncommon belief. Idk people, try to explain your beliefs to yourself before you share them, see if they make any sense .

I don't like it when people feed their cats or dogs vegetarian/vegan kibble. But at the same time, most cheap kibbles have almost no meat in them anyway. And the most popular dog food in the US is Ol' Roy. So I don't feel like those that do it for their beliefs are any worse than those that do it for financial reasons.
    Right? Hahah this seems to be everyone... Somehow nobody is against feeding butchered dead animals to your snake, since they can't see the whole animal? Somehow?

Agreed about the cheap dog food vs. ignorant beliefs placed on their pets...

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    I work in a vet clinic and we see people trying to force their cats/dogs to be 'vegan' all the time. When you explain that cats can't survive without meat, the argument is usually that "soy protein fills the same role as meat protein"...umm, yeah cause beans have all the same vitamins and amino acids as animal muscle and organs...People are just...ugh. This is why I like animals :/

While on the subject, the vegans I know also are firm believers that it is cruel to keep any animal in a cage. So I really should just let the snake and fish roam freely all over the house. If they truly love me, they won't run away, right?
    Eewww... Kind of borderline animal rights activists. You know, the people think nobody should own any kind of domesticated animals, ever LOL.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (07-06-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willowy View Post
    I'll also point out that everyone who keeps pets "forces their agenda" on them at least a little. Do you believe in crating a dog or not? Do you spay/neuter your mammals and at what age? Do you use tubs or a vivarium? Do you feed live or f/t? Do you cage or not (this comes up with some small pets like ferrets and rabbits)? We all have agendas and anyone who lives with us is stuck with them, lol. Including pets.

BUT. . .you should be flexible and do what is necessary for the well-being of your pet. As long as those dependent on you aren't being harmed by it, agendize yer hart out!
    Alright, I used a too general of a term. I just needed a subject line. LOL

Forcing their diet beliefs on all of their pets, then...
    Last edited by redshepherd; 07-05-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

When people force their own agendas on animals...

Last edited by Reinz; 07-06-2016 at 09:33 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Alicia (07-07-2016),ballpythonluvr (07-07-2016),Crowfingers (07-06-2016),Fraido (07-06-2016),redshepherd (07-06-2016),Stewart_Reptiles (07-07-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast