Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,083

3 members and 3,080 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch Size?

Thanks

Perch Size?

Yingarna and Bruce's new AP cages should arrive next week, and I'm thinking about what else I need to get for them.

Ying is a Bredli, currently about 6' long, easily taking Big Cheese small rats (I haven't weighed the big boys and girls in a while), probably about a kilo. I won't be surprised if she hits 9-10'.

Bruce is my JCP, 4-5' long, the other day he took 2 Big Cheese weaned rats (one of the BPs refused).

Ying is getting a 2' tall cage, Bruce a 3', both 4'x2', with a shelf in each. I'm thinking of adding perches, also, what diameter do you like? I figure if we cut PVC end caps in half they'll work as supports, if I want to go bigger/smaller than closet rod.

Also debating wood vs. PVC - PVC would be easier to clean if necessary, but it hasn't been so far for Bruce.

Sent using software and hardware
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Perch Size?

Prog- for carpets as large as yours I'd think a perch with a 3" diameter would be appropriate. Those Bredli can get pretty heavy bodied. I think I'm going to order another AP cage soon too. I'm torn between the 4x2x2 and 4x2x3. The 4x2x3 is only a few bucks more so I'm leaning towards that one. On another note I'm curious about the prey sizes for your carpets. It sounds like you feed smaller meals than I do. How old are your carpets and how often do you feed them? My JCP will be one in July. He's about 500g and not quite 3ft. He eats a small rat and sometimes a chick every 6 days on average. My Coastal will be two in July. I got him as an 85g yearling last September. He's about 4ft and 900g now. He eats a medium rat, or a small and a chick, every 7-10 days. My Bredl is 140g and he's eating rat pups every 5-6 days. I'm always curious to see different feeding regiments and growth rates. Please post pics of your enclosures when you get them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Terminal (05-17-2016)

Thanks

Bruce will be a year old next month. I was feeding him every 5 days, last week we shifted to once/week. Ying will be two in October, she's been on a once/week schedule since March (5 days before that). I try to feed to leave a lump, but not a huge one. I'll probably get some chicks or quail for the Morelia (and the red-tailed boa, who is another good feeder) next time I order feeders.

They're both great feeders, I think Bruce was perturbed at me the other day when I fed the VBB and he didn't get anything.

We've got the snakes split into colubrids and pythons for feeding days, with the boas split between the two groups. For a while we had a third group, the big girls (Ying, 2 BPs, and a corn) but now that everyone is on once/week, the big girls got split rolled back into the pythons/colubrids.

I can't say that I've had a plan, mostly it's been going by feel/looks.

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    My carpet is a 6 footer. Actually a bit over 6 now. She is in this 4 x 2 x 2 HDPE plastic cage. I use perches of various sizes. I have wood dowels which are about the size of a Red Bull can, wrapped in vines, and I also have couple of natural perches. Perch placement is a factor as you can have some smaller perches, but you'll want to spread them out for weight distribution. The snake will more than likely spread across a few perches, and I stagger the height of the perches too.

You can see it here in the carpet cage.

I'm a huge fan of any arboreal activity. It is a behavior I enjoy watching as much as feeding.

Even my 6 foot and much heavier bodied boa constrictor likes to climb and perch. I have the same dowels in his cage but he actually gets a giant tree branch to enjoy along with the 3 other dowel perches.

The top cage is for the royal and she isn't usually a climber, but now that the weather has warmed and she has eat for the first time this year, she has been spotted hanging up on the perches under the RHP.

IMO you would be best off with a plastic cage.

I bought large closet rod holders for the tree branches. The other perches are made by Ed from Constrictors NW (Pro-Line Cages).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

BeelzeBall. (05-17-2016),viper69 (05-24-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    IMO you would be best off with a plastic cage.
    We are - Animal Plastics. Ali called a little while ago and let me know they are going out today, should arrive tomorrow (5 cage and a base is heavy enough for freight shipping to be worth it).

My PVC vs. wood question was for perch material.

I better get off the couch and make space for the new cage stacks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Gio (05-18-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    We are - Animal Plastics. Ali called a little while ago and let me know they are going out today, should arrive tomorrow (5 cage and a base is heavy enough for freight shipping to be worth it).

My PVC vs. wood question was for perch material.

I better get off the couch and make space for the new cage stacks!
    That's great.

I need to clarify that when I meant spreading the perches out I should have said keeping them close. If they are close together the support is better.

It sounds like you are all set. Wood perches are just fine.

I actually have no synthetic perches.

Thanks

When using wood perches should you be concerned about what type of wood? Pine? Hardwood (maple,birch)? I have some stair balusters that are a great size and shape but made from pine. I know that you shouldn't use pine shavings but would the wood be bad for your snakes?

Thanks

Assembling 5 cages and setting them up took all weekend. Decided to skip the sealant in favor of having a usable living room again sooner (and so far water-dumping has not been a snake pastime). The snakes are in with hides and water bowls, adding more artificial plants tonight. We decided to build freestanding jungle gyms, so we've got 60' of PVC and lots and lots of fittings under foot.

Ying and Bruce spent yesterday bagged in the sand boa cages. When we put them in their new quarters they expressed their opinions with messes.

Here's a couple quick shots of the cage stacks (already had two of the T8s and the smaller cage). In the second picture you can kinda see Ying to the left of her Ace Hardware bukkit, and Bruce in the cage below.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

BWB (05-24-2016),Creepy Alien (06-02-2016),Gio (05-23-2016)

Thanks
    Looking good there!

What is the "Tall Boy" on the bottom? Is that a 3 footer?

Thanks

Great looking setup!
    Last edited by BWB; 05-24-2016 at 07:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast