Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,375

2 members and 3,373 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Colubrid Questions

So I have been itching for a colubrid lately and came across some great looking garter snakes and corn snakes. I currently have a 20L terrarium that is all set up but needs a snake to live in. I was wondering if garter snakes can live in a 20 gallon long their entire life or if it is too small. Same with a corn snake?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to maausen For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-20-2016)

Thanks

Re: Colubrid Questions

This is my preference but I like to give colubrids as much space as possible, just because of how active they. My adult rat uses all the space in his tub (about the size of a 20g) and he looks a bit cramped to me. I'm not sure about garters, though. Afaik they stay smaller so a 20g long might be okay.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pariahdog For This Useful Post:

maausen (04-17-2016)

Thanks
    I have a Cal. King - and I think a 20g tank would be enough for him for his entire life, really. The figure that I've read is this: if the snake is no more than 2/3's the circumference of the cage, the cage is big enough. So measure all four sides of the cage, add the measurements together, and look at the maximum length that the snake is likely to get. If that number is no more than 2/3's the circumference of the cage, you're set. Most of the adult kingsnakes I've seen are actually kept in 10-gallon tanks. I plan on keeping mine in a tub. I'm not certain, but I THINK that kingsnakes generally get longer than garters and corns, and that they're smaller than rats.

Thanks

Yeah I was unsure about garter because when looking up care sheets they said they need a big cage because they are so active. However, garters usually stay under 4 feet..

Thanks
    I'd say use the 20g long while he's growing up and if in the future he seems too "adventurous" for it, upgrade - and then you can use the 20g for something else

Thanks
    I was using 20L for all of my Colubrids except for my larger active female. They were just fine. All of mine like to climb so they all have hammocks which increases their active space. My Rat is not full grown so I'm not sure on her. I have since switched them to a rack system with 55QT tubs so they have the vertical space. I was assured that this is enough room for adults by a highly respected Corn Breeder. I don't have any Garters though so no idea there
    4.3 Corns (Ziggy, Maximus, Twix, Henley, Amelia, Akasha, Zahara)
    1.1 Rosy Boas (Moonshine, Peaches)
    0.1 Licorice Black Rat (Lacey)
    1.1 Balls- Special Lesser Leucistic (Raka), Nuclear (Vesta)
    1.1 Carpets-Caramel Coastal (Michonne), Highlighter Jungle (Grimes)

Thanks

Hahaha yes I probably will end up doing this...

Thanks

Any other garter snake keepers want to chime in?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to maausen For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-20-2016)

Thanks
    20 gallons would be good for a single adult female or a pair of adult males of most species of garter snakes. There are a few less popular species that get pretty large and may be a bit cramped. Also keep in mind that baby gaters are incredibly small so yo may need to start with a small tub.

I think most people recommend that the tanks length plus it's width be longer than the snake in most colubrid species. A twenty gallon tank is too small for an adult of many of the species named here especially corn snakes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntTheDestroyer For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-20-2016),maausen (04-19-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AntTheDestroyer View Post
    20 gallons would be good for a single adult female or a pair of adult males of most species of garter snakes. There are a few less popular species that get pretty large and may be a bit cramped. Also keep in mind that baby gaters are incredibly small so yo may need to start with a small tub.

I think most people recommend that the tanks length plus it's width be longer than the snake in most colubrid species. A twenty gallon tank is too small for an adult of many of the species named here especially corn snakes.
    Garter snakes are roamers and enjoy extra space bc its the nature of the beast with them. Unless you are breeding and don't want to show off your individuals a rack with a tub size of 28qts. is good for a pair of garters.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.