Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,246

0 members and 3,246 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Where to get rats to breed

I have been looking into the possibility of breeding my own rats in the future for my snakes. What is the best place to find rats that are breed able?

I live in the DC/Baltimore area btw,
    Last edited by Sharp717; 03-22-2016 at 04:21 PM.
    0.1 Dinker (She has a J marking on her and a key looking marking on her belly near the end of her tail)
    1.0 "Pastel" (Original owner said he is but idk)
    0.1 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Where to get rats to breed

Best place is from someone already breeding feeder rats.

What you want is to get small rats that you will raise to an optimum weight of 250 grams, never get adults, never get proven breeders.

I did not have that opportunity and started with rats from Petco and petsmart and held back and selectively bred the to achieve the colony I have now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts
    I got my original rat stock from a chain pet store, but I got my female mice from Craiglist and the male from a small time pet store. There is a rat fancier society, but I'm not sure if they sell their offspring for people to breed or not, so I'd just get ones from other people. I'm hoping to start another rat colony when I can make room, so CL will probably be my go-to place when I get to that point. Right now I've got the skeletons of 2-3 mouse colonies, just need to grab some more females.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks

Yeah, I have been having a hard time finding a breeder who breeds them as feeders or as both pets and feeders. A petco near my takes really good care of the animals that they sell so I may look there.
    0.1 Dinker (She has a J marking on her and a key looking marking on her belly near the end of her tail)
    1.0 "Pastel" (Original owner said he is but idk)
    0.1 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave

Thanks
    I managed to find some at a pet store that was supposed to be selling them as food only. I got four - three females and a male. Two of those I ended up putting down for bad RI, one of which was the male. I got four more at another pet store - the only two places I could find in all of Reno that would sell me live mixed-gender rats. That was supposed to be another three females and two males, but turned out to be two females and two males, one of which had RI so bad that his face was crusty. Picking and choosing wasn't an option - I was lucky to get what I got. So that left me with one male, and four females. One of the second batch was already pregnant when I got her, and gave birth three and a half weeks ago. She was older than the others - I'll be putting her down once the litter is weaned, because she has head tilt with no signs of ear infection. NONE of those breedable age rats I bought are tame at all. They bite, they are aggressive, and they are not pleasant to work with. Just a warning on what to expect if you end up settling, like I did. However, I'm holding back a male and two females from that first litter, and I handle them daily to get them tame, with the intention that they will become future breeders. I'll be picking out another male and more females from the other litters to do the same. Unfortunately, I did not stagger litters properly... so I'm going to have a major surplus of rats pretty soon, but I made arrangements with the local pet store to take some of them. Be sure to stagger your litters. I believe there's a suggestion chart on this site somewhere for that.

First litter - born 2/27 - 11 pups.
    Second litter - born 3/15 - 11 pups.
    Third litter - born 3/18 - 13 pups.
    Fourth litter - observed breeding 3/5 - expected this weekend.

Thanks
    Check local reptile FB groups. There's bound to be at least one person with some quality feeder stock. I met someone local through this website actually and that's how I got my first good stock. My first stock were Petsmart rats. 2/3 girls were maternally aggressive. The third female passed away for unknown reasons after a month. I wouldn't recommend pet store stock. I euthed them when my good feeder stock was of age and producing.

If you're into the rats there's several of FB rat groups that are feeder and pet friendly. Being a part of those has really expanded my rat resources and I have some new genes to play around with and a network of people to go to for help and advice.
    Alluring Constrictors

Thanks

I would look for a breeder and if not just buy rats from your local pet store. I would not suggest that you buy from chains such as petco because I have a bad experiences but it could be different in your area.