Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

0 members and 3,057 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,132
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Re: BP Euthanasia (Feeding Normal Spinoff)

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothScales View Post
    Reptiles have their very own section - S7.3.
    From section S7.3.5.1 of the AVMA Guide:

Carbon dioxide—Carbon dioxide may be considered for euthanasia of amphibians and reptiles if alternate methods are not practical and where the limitations of this method are understood and addressed. Due to the potential lack of response to this method by many species and the requirement for a prolonged exposure time, other methods are preferable. Death by CO2 must be verified, and preferably, assured by application of a secondary lethal procedure.

While it clearly states that other methods are preferable, it does list CO2 as something to be considered. No where does it refer to this method as inhumane.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

SmoothScales (02-12-2016)

Thanks

I think the issue w carbon dioxide would be acheiving the prolonged exposure required to dispatch said reptile.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanne For This Useful Post:

Slim (02-13-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    From section S7.3.5.1 of the AVMA Guide:
    . Death by CO2 must be verified, and preferably, assured by application of a secondary lethal procedure.[/I] .

I think this is where I will take it to mean that death by CO2 must be followed by a second type of euthanasia. So even if you use CO2 in a long prolonged exposure, you should still follow THAT by some other method to dispatch the snake "for sure". This could mean putting it into a freezer, but if the CO2 is not reliable enough to kill the snake, there would be a slight possibility of the snake coming to enough to be aware of freezing too?

To me, death by CO2 seems almost impossible in a home setting. Unless I suppose, you were to use a airtight container flooded with the CO2 and leave the snake in there for a extended period(hours?) and then you'd still want to do something more afterwards.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Slim (02-13-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    I think this is where I will take it to mean that death by CO2 must be followed by a second type of euthanasia. So even if you use CO2 in a long prolonged exposure, you should still follow THAT by some other method to dispatch the snake "for sure". This could mean putting it into a freezer, but if the CO2 is not reliable enough to kill the snake, there would be a slight possibility of the snake coming to enough to be aware of freezing too?

To me, death by CO2 seems almost impossible in a home setting. Unless I suppose, you were to use a airtight container flooded with the CO2 and leave the snake in there for a extended period(hours?) and then you'd still want to do something more afterwards.
    And even then, that method makes me nervous... In wildlife rehab, we sometimes have to use Isoflurane (ether), and the mammals will stop breathing but their hearts beat for several minutes after. The vet's office (when available) will do a heart stick once the animal goes to sleep, which is the method I prefer because it's a sure death and the animal is asleep. If I'm out in the field and the animal has no chance I'll just shoot it on site, which is also very quick. Do I enjoy it? Not at all. Does it need to be done? Yep.

If using just gas, be it C02 or Ether, you have to be 100% certain the animal is completely deceased, which is very hard to do with an unconscious snake. For mammals I euthanize, I check heartbeat by stethoscope several times over the course of several minutes after the first confirmed absent heartbeat. With turtles and alligators, gas is usually ineffective since they can slow their metabolism and hold their breath for prolonged periods. So I say, if you're too squeamish to be able to dispatch the animals in your care in the quickest and most humane way (pithing or head/c spine destruction), you shouldn't get into the business. It ain't for sissies. I hate killing animals but it's such a big, and important, part of wildlife rehab. It's truly the most humane solution in many situations. That's how I make peace with it.

Just my $.02
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to O'Mathghamhna For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-14-2016),cristacake (02-14-2016),SmoothScales (02-14-2016),wolfy-hound (02-15-2016)

Thanks
    This topic has perplexed me for sometime. There does not seem to be a lot of information on the subject, and I plan to breed in the future I will certainly need it. What exactly is the method people use in pithing. I understand the general idea but I am looking for specifics such as the placement of the probe and anything else.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AntTheDestroyer For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (02-14-2016)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12