Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

0 members and 3,344 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding off normal ball pythons...

A buddy of mine was talking about feeding off any normals he produced to his other snakes. He only has a corn snake, a few boas, bloods and ball pythons... I am not sure if any one of these would actually eat another snake willingly, but that is besides the point. I have mixed feelings about this. I kind of understand since normals are very hard to sell here, to the point people give them away for free and lose money feeding ball pythons that wont bring in any cash. But deep down, it doesn't seem right. I know we feed mice and rats and what not, but to purposely kill something because it doesn't make you money, seems a bit harsh.

So what are your opinions on this? Would you do it?

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    None of those would eat another snake (normally).
    The two BELs that I lost last year went to a friends MBK.
    I am not one to really like to force feed either but I will try once.
    This past year I had a couple that just wouldn't eat on their own.
    Off to his kings they went.

I don't care if its a normal or a morph, I would rather see it used as a feeder than to just die and go in the trash.
    I will admit it was a bit different to see than watching a normal rodent feeding.
    Would I feed off a healthy snake that is booming on it own? No.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Marrissa (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I've never had a problem selling normals for 10-20 bucks, seems silly, you could buy a lot more food for the value of the normal. If you really have that much of a problem selling normals, I don't know how well you will do selling morphs in the same market. If thats your only option though, might as well feed another animal..
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 02-11-2016 at 05:45 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

T_Sauer (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    I've heard of people feeding hatchlings to pac man frogs, but they were always snakes that died on their own or were going to die (bad kinks, etc).

As to the morality I don't think there's a problem with it. I bet a lot of people do but it might be just because we like snakes. It's probably the same as all the people that think we're monsters for feeding mice and rats to our snakes.

I'd be more surprised if someone was feeding morphs or female normals off, just because those still have value and enough demand to be able to get rid of them, even if it's for next to nothing. But I can just see the males being so hard to sell that you might feed them off if something can eat it.

Thanks
    I don't know how hard it is to sell normals... I haven't yet had the opportunity. I could see if it was one that was dead or dying, but a healthy baby ball python, I am not too sure. I know there are breeders here that say normals are hard to sell, but they sell eventually, even if it is at a loss.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lunasjy For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (02-11-2016),SmoothScales (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    If the animal is completely healthy and just not making him income (money being the motivator to kill them off) I see an issue with it, especially as Pit pointed out the snakes you listed don't normally feed on snakes. I know people that feed snakes that passed or didn't make it to others that would normally feed on them (cobras for example), but that is a little different.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Personally, I don't see a problem feeding a snake that just didn't make it, not due to illness but either defects or an unexplained failure to thrive, to another snake - if that snake would normally eat another. I've no doubt that if I put my little tiny female Kingsnake in with my male, she'd be a meal in no time at all. That said, I would never put her in there alive, and if she died, I'd want an autopsy to find out more about what's wrong with her rather than feed her to Tsoss. But feeding off healthy snakes just because they aren't a desirable mutation? Eh... I can sort of see where it is reasonable, rather than have them end up where they'll probably die slowly of neglect, and yet I still don't like it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Feeding off normal ball pythons...

I believe that breeding these animals comes with a responsibility. I've seen it mentioned on many threads to someone new who may be contemplating breeding for the first time, that they should consider they will have to feed and care for whatever animals they produce for some time until they can find a Buyer. I too agree with the philosophy. I think if someone is just feeding off normal to reduce their feed expenditures or relieve some of their work load, they should seriously reconsider the hobby.

Regarding the difficulty of selling Normals, I have never had any trouble moving Normal hatchlings. They don't fetch a high dollar figure but they are easily salable.

That being said, I do not take issue with someone feeding a snake to another that is known to eat snakes as part of their normal diet in the wild. The food chain does not start or stop at rodents. I also think if someone has an agreement to sell normal off as feeders to a breeder of kings or indigos, etc., that it is business and a matter of supply and demand. If they are raised to be feeders it's no different then chickens. I am just not comfortable with the scenario the OP has described, as it seems lazy, cheap, and irresponsible. Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 02-11-2016 at 08:57 PM.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

DellaF (02-11-2016),GoingPostal (02-11-2016),John1982 (02-11-2016),PitOnTheProwl (02-11-2016),Reinz (02-12-2016),Slim (02-11-2016),T_Sauer (02-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I have no issue with feeding Normals, or any BP for that matter, to snakes that naturally eat other snakes as part of their wild diet.

Having said that, I do not believe I would spend much time speaking about it on the best known ball python forum on the interwebs. By the same token, I wouldn't talk much about feeding off rodents on a fancy rat forum.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

John1982 (02-11-2016),LittleTreeGuy (02-11-2016),Reinz (02-12-2016),rlditmars (02-11-2016),T_Sauer (02-11-2016),wolfy-hound (02-11-2016)

Thanks

Re: Feeding off normal ball pythons...

I see on both sides of the fence on this one ... To save myself a lot of typing, I agree verbatim with what rlditmars said .... Do you have anybody give you rat feeders for your snakes for free??? .... I know I most certainly do not .... So if someone were to supply normals to someone who has a snake eating snake ... I would not expect them to go without a fee

17. The Following User Says Thank You to T_Sauer For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (02-11-2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast