Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,109

2 members and 1,107 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Ball Python pale, not shedding & won't eat!!

Hi, my ball python will not eat. He is pale and has been for about 2 weeks, and LOOKS like he's about to shed, but he hasn't eaten in over a month and I don't think he is going to. All he does is hide and he hides his head underneath his body - not in the middle of the ball like he usually did. At night he doesn't move around at all he's just in one spot in one hide 24/7. Is he sick? What is going on?

i took him out yesterday to see if he would move around and he seems to be fine and acting like normal he is just very pale and has no signs of shedding and barely moves so I'm really worried something is wrong

Temps right now are 84/78 and his humidity is 63.

Thanks
    Hold old and how much does his weigh? Is his water ok? does he look dehydrated?

Adult Ball pythons can go 12 months without eating, Plus he could just be in shed. My ball python sits on his hot spot alot in a hide also.
    YOU HAVENT GOT A PYTHON THEY GET LIKE 50FT!!

Thanks

Re: Ball Python pale, not shedding & won't eat!!

He is about 2 I'm not sure how much he weighs but I just changed his water this morning. He seems a bit wrinkly like he's going to shed but he hasn't eaten! Can he still shed even though it's been a while? He usually sheds after he poops which is about every 4th feeding and he's already done both right before he stopped eating. How can you tell if they are dehydrated?

Thanks
    I would try to bump up your warm side, closer to 90, and try to raise the humidity up to the 70's. If he has water available and humidity is and has been in the 60's, I wouldn't think it's dehydration. I've heard some adults will go for months without eating. Do you now his weight? If you have a scale, weigh him. If they don't lose much weight, I don't think going off feed for a month or so is all that uncommon.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
    I would try to bump up your warm side, closer to 90, and try to raise the humidity up to the 70's. If he has water available and humidity is and has been in the 60's, I wouldn't think it's dehydration. I've heard some adults will go for months without eating. Do you now his weight? If you have a scale, weigh him. If they don't lose much weight, I don't think going off feed for a month or so is all that uncommon.

Doesnt seem to have lost weight but I will weigh him. It's been really hard to keep up his temps and humidity right now since it's winter and I just moved into a huge room a couple months ago so I've been trying absolutely everything to keep him happy and I haven't had any problems except for now. if he is dehydrated what can I do to help him?

Thanks
    Ok, Get a Oil Heater for your room - will help with the ambient. BUmp up heatmat to over 90f - like 93f - it will settle at 90f.

Get a moss box to help hold Humidity. And yes they can still shed - Weigh him, and keep a record... If he loses more then 10% of his body weight then there is something wrong... But he can go up to 12 months without eating.

Have you JUST moved? Could be the issue

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nathaniel1989 For This Useful Post:

smsedinger (02-11-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel1989 View Post
    Ok, Get a Oil Heater for your room - will help with the ambient. BUmp up heatmat to over 90f - like 93f - it will settle at 90f.

Get a moss box to help hold Humidity. And yes they can still shed - Weigh him, and keep a record... If he loses more then 10% of his body weight then there is something wrong... But he can go up to 12 months without eating.

Have you JUST moved? Could be the issue

No we moved almost 3 months ago and hes eaten since then Im trying to upload pictures. Maybe he's just having a really bad shed? I got his humidity to rise to 71 right now but I'm not sure how long that will last. Should I try misting him?

Thanks
    if he is shedding, you can directly mist the snake it will help, you need a more permanent solution though,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smsedinger View Post
    I got his humidity to rise to 71 right now but I'm not sure how long that will last. Should I try misting him?

In winter it is hard to keep my household humidity up. What I have done was get some moss and place it in a tupperware container and add a good amount of water to it. Punch holes in the tupperware lid and the moss will slowly release moisture in the air. Since I implemented this my humidity definitely went up and it lasted longer because the moss slowly released it into the air and the tupperware container prevented it from releasing too quickly. Also add some damp moss or paper towel to the hide to boost the humidity there since that is where they tend to stay most of the time anyway. I had a snake take two weeks from clouded eyes to shed before and he is just fine so I wouldn't be too worried. Just make sure you keep up your husbandry and all will be well.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Albert Einstein

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ItsAllNew2Me! For This Useful Post:

Nathaniel1989 (02-12-2016),smsedinger (02-11-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllNew2Me! View Post
    In winter it is hard to keep my household humidity up. What I have done was get some moss and place it in a tupperware container and add a good amount of water to it. Punch holes in the tupperware lid and the moss will slowly release moisture in the air. Since I implemented this my humidity definitely went up and it lasted longer because the moss slowly released it into the air and the tupperware container prevented it from releasing too quickly. Also add some damp moss or paper towel to the hide to boost the humidity there since that is where they tend to stay most of the time anyway. I had a snake take two weeks from clouded eyes to shed before and he is just fine so I wouldn't be too worried. Just make sure you keep up your husbandry and all will be well.
    Excellent advice. I had done something very similiar with great results.

If he's deydrated, high humidity and having water available for him is the best thing. If you are still concerned, I would contact a good reptile vet. I

'm not a believer in soaking for rehydration (or anything for that matter). Think about people... if we get dehydrated, we drink a lot of fluids. Sitting in a bathtub isn't all that much help. Animals aren't a whole lot different. I'm not a vet, nor do I have years of experience. This is just my own beliefs from what I have read from many many threads and articles about it. Soaking can remove and break down the naturual oils the snakes body creates and releases into it's skin.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast