Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,311

2 members and 1,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,111
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
    Thanks

Hide Boxes - Your Thoughts?

Hi There,

I'd like to take a moment to say hello to everyone as this is actually my first post.

I've been coming to this site for well over a year now, and with the wealth of knowledge combined with the search bar, I've never had an issue finding the answers to my questions. If hadn't taken the time to read as many threads as I did before getting my first Ball Python, I'm not sure where I would be so thank you very much! I've always liked all species of reptiles, and I have a Red Eared Slider turtle, Moe that I got as a hatchling who is now ~23 - 24 years old. I had iguanas as a young child, but unfortunately knowing what I know now, the pet store did not offer me very good advice in caring for them so they did not last too long. On the brighter note I have had great success in caring for my first Ball Python, Winston, a male lesser pastel. I got him from a local monthly recurring reptile expo in Taylor, MI in December of 2014 when he was only about 6 or 7 weeks old. His first enclosure was a glass 20 long w/sliding front doors and a screen top. This was short lived as Michigan winters made it too hard to properly maintain the necessary humidity and ambient/basking temperatures. A few months later he moved into his new enclosure which is 1/2 of a T8 that has heat tape for belly heat, and RHP to maintain the ambient temp all while keeping the humidity in - and it's awesome. I love it and so does he. I've found caring for him very rewarding while at the same time not being too demanding and I have a list of the next few Ball Pythons I would like to get. I started to research caring for boa's shortly after getting Winston, and in June of 2015 I took the plunge and got a female Lipstick Sunglow, Elsa who is absolutely amazing and shares the other half of the T8 with Winston, for now at least. She has a completely different personality than a Ball Python. Curious and Brave would be the two words I use to describe her and she never says no to a meal - even if she is blue.

Moving on to the question I have, Winston currently weights about 915 grams (empty) and has outgrown the medium sized reptile basics hide boxes. I have a large reptile basics hide box on his hot side (LEFT) which is where he spends most of his time, but I'm unsure as to what would be the ideal way to configure two large hide boxes in his enclosure. I was midway through cleaning his enclosure last weekend and snapped a few shots of different ideas. I've attached a few pictures below and I'd like to hear your opinions. I definitely want to keep the water dish in the front for easy access as I change it regularly. He may have to part with his branch, which was mainly for show / cover but I have seen him use it on several occasions.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Current Configuration:

Alt Config 1. - My first choice

Alt Config 2

Alt Config 3

Winston - not fitting in his cool hide.

Moe

Elsa - The day the UPS man brought her.

Thanks

Re: Hide Boxes - Your Thoughts?

For those of my BP's with two hides, I arrange it as seen in your 4th photo. One on the cold side and one on the hot.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    i like configuration 3. it gives the most distance between the two hides and possibly the greater temp range.

also u can probably lean the branch from the floor onto one of the hides to maximize space if u wanna keep it.

Edit: also go to the pix forum and post more pix of your BP and Boa. we love pix.
    Last edited by Ax01; 02-10-2016 at 07:50 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I use configuration 3 in my 32 qt tubs. I would ditch the branch.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    I don't have any suggestions to offer really... I do like config. 3, just because it looks nice and makes sense. Thank you for sharing your story and pics of your other pets. Sounds like they are lucky to have such a good home.
    0.1 BP - Mojave - Lexi
    1.0 Bearded Dragon - Thunder (RIP)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - Lightning

"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe