Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,169

2 members and 1,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Get a super-dwarf retic. That will keep you on your toes.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,500 Times in 2,691 Posts

Re: Looking for something alittle different for next snake

I definitely go with a carpet of some sort. Jungle, Coastal, IJ, or Bredli. I have my 4 m/o jungle and yearling coastal in a divided T8 and they're both doing fine. If you want a pure specimen you should contact Nick Mutton at Inland Reptile. He produces some really nice animals.

http://inlandreptile.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    Get a super-dwarf retic. That will keep you on your toes.

That thought had crossed my mind, but it seems as though there's no guarantee they won't get too big.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yodawagon View Post
    That thought had crossed my mind, but it seems as though there's no guarantee they won't get too big.
    Savu python then. All of the fun of a retic in a 4-5 foot package.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

John1982 (11-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Looking for something alittle different for next snake

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Savu python then. All of the fun of a retic in a 4-5 foot package.

A they get awesome white eyes when they reach adulthood!

Last edited by Reinz; 11-25-2015 at 01:17 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

John1982 (11-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Looking for something alittle different for next snake

I wish there were more morph type breeds. I like the variety balls offer.
    Black Headed pythons .. very similar to Womas but generally larger and they have a jet black head and neck .

Also if you want something different - I've got a Dwarf Hypo Burmese python ( pics on my collection thread ) .
    Typical Burmese personality - plus very alert and inquisitive AND fast moving yet lovely and calm when being handled .
    300 should get you a normal phase dwarf Burm
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-25-2015 at 04:17 AM. Reason: edit

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

I'm looking for some ideas for my next snake. I already have a ball python. I don't care for any of the boas I've seen. Not a fan of colurbrids either. I think I'm just more of a python person. from what I've seen available I like womas, scrubs, angolans, timors and bredlis. I not against a carpet, but don't want a mix. I'd like to at least start it in a half of a t8. I'd like it to be handlable and mild tempered. Dont want to spend more then 300. I'd like it to stay a manageable size. I love my ball python, but would like something more active. Any ideas?
    I would not discount the "boas" or boa constrictors just yet.

They are much more active than royal pythons. Our royal is the least active, most boring animal in the collection though she does come out late at night occasionally. If DIFFERENT is what you seek, boa constrictors are just that. Semi arboreal as opposed to almost completely terrestrial. More active, and if part of your criteria is being able to handle the snake, boa constrictors are excellent.

They are large, but in most cases not too large. They are docile usually, and have an endless feeding response. If your royal won't eat, the BC will. There are plenty of color morphs and strict localities.

This is a pure locality Barranquilla, Colombian. He is a bit over 6 feet long at 3.5 years old. He was bred by Gus Rentfro and I bought him from Legacy Reptiles for under $300!

Great to handle and active, plus they are dense so you feel like you are holding onto something, something like a steel bar LOL!

Some of the fascinating and entertaining feeding behavior of my boa constrictor is shown here.

Angolans are nice, but they are often pricey from what I've seen and look quite similar to what you already have.

Scrubs are typically NOT good for handling and are not a beginner snake. Pythons, especially the arboreal or semi arboreal specimens have long teeth, and scrubs have a reputation for finding the face. Caging for a scrub could be a challenge as well. Tall and wide enclosures suit them best.

Woma pythons are pretty interesting and might be worth a look. Again, you have a terrestrial snake so you are not changing things drastically as far as any climbing behavior goes.

You may also want to look into water pythons. They are similar to olive pythons, but smaller and from what I understand they are quite active.

Bcr229 may be onto something with the Savu. I need to see more pictures and hear more about them.

SD retics sound great, but I'm not seeing a lot of them for under $300 and unless you are a USARK member, you will have to buy in your own state.

Last and certainly not least, El-Ziggy has, IMO probably found you an excellent solution, the carpet python group!

Follow the link in the post there. Inland Reptile has morphs and PURE locality stuff. You can get a pretty looking coastal for $160 with locality data.

ALL morelia are arboreal and the carpets are not shy. You will see them, they climb and perch, feed well and once beyond the early stage of life, are very easy and fun to handle. Carpets can get big, but normally even the long ones are still fairly slender bodied snakes compared to boa constrictors or other pythons of the same length.

Over 6 feet and around 2.5 year old, this is a coastal cross of unknown origin. I've seen both parents in photos and know the mother is 10 feet long and the father is 8 feet and still growing.

Mixes are common and don't change the behavior of the snake. As a matter of fact most of the morph carpets are a percentage of one type or another. The mix I own is pretty, but I'm much more into locality specimens.

Typical in cage behavior in the evening and throughout the night.

Anything semi arboreal can be fun to set up in display caging.

The top cage is for the royal, the bottom for the boa constrictor. The royal was lucky to get the top cage as it used to be the cage for the boa when he was smaller.

The carpet python cage screams display cage, and she uses all of it.

Choose carefully after you research. Both BCI boa and almost any carpet, sans a pure diamond are very easy to care for and fairly hardy.

I know you do not like colubrid snakes, but I know the eastern kings are nice sized and VERY active. Active during the day as well and they are very affordable and easy to keep.

If you can get anything you want, make your research count and don't pull the trigger until you are 100% satisfied.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Gio; 11-25-2015 at 11:06 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Creepy Alien (12-12-2015),distaff (11-30-2015),jlopezgdonas (11-30-2015)

Thanks
    I agree with carpet python as an excellent choice. They seem to meet all your requirements. If you want a larger snake, go coastal or inland. These can hit 9-10 ft. Going smaller, jungle,IJ or Darwin. My first "big" snake was a coastal, they're nippy babies but quickly become docile.

Thanks
    Also, look into Hog Island Boas. I've not had one, but from what I read, they're great snakes!
    1.0 Albino BP
    0.1 Pastel Champagne BP

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Bcr229 may be onto something with the Savu. I need to see more pictures and hear more about them.
    These are mine - http://s477.photobucket.com/user/efi...?sort=3&page=1

I just got the 2011 female a few weeks ago. She's five feet long now and isn't expected to grow much more. Savus are thin-bodied snakes and she fits nicely into a melamine enclosure with the footprint of a 40-breeder for quarantine.

Most commercial care sheets state they need "moderate" humidity levels but I've been told by several keepers who have had them a while that they run them higher, around 75%, or they have bad sheds. Temps range from 75-85*F. So, husbandry is very like a Brazilian rainbow boa.

They have a voracious appetite; I'd put the food response right up there with my SD retics. They will eat themselves to an early death if allowed to get fat.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast