Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,403

3 members and 3,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Thinkin about getting an atb

I'm thinking about getting another snake and I really like Amazon tree boas I've done some research on them but I was woundering if someone with experience with them could give me some advice and some facts about there care

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Any specific questions? I'll be happy to help if I can. They are one of my favorite species. Got my first in 2001 and have a fairly decent collection at this point.

They are rather easy to care for, much more forgiving of husbandry errors than GTPs and ETBs. I keep mine about mid to low 80s and night drops to low to mid 70s. They are in my heated snake room so those are ambient temps (I only provide hot spots for my boas and balls). They sleep during the day, usually on the floor of the cage and will make use of hide boxes if provided. They prefer branches that have criss-crosses or platforms to hang out on in the afternoon/evening/night as opposed to single straight across perches. Will usually readily take f/t.

You can keep them in a variety of type of cages. I keep my babies in shoebox tubs or small 12x12 plastic caging, I use green garden fencing for the young ones and then either branches/perches or grapewood for the adults. I like BARRS cages for atbs. Keep my adults in either 16x16x20 or 20" cubes. I have one in a larger reptarium glass cage with screen top but screen tops and ammies usually result in poor sheds, so I'll be moving her into a barrs cage eventually.

They can and will bite. Either lunging at you and chomping all over or you can be holding them, everything is fine, then about 15-20 min later, chomp! They go towards heat, so even breathing on them can elicit a strike to your face. They will also pee and musk all over you if they don't want to be bothered. Much more of a look and enjoy snake than something you want to hold while you watch tv. I've been asked why I'd keep them since that is the case and my response is that they are like beautiful fish, wonderful to look at and observe, but basically leave them alone if you want them to be happy. I use hooks a lot with them just to avoid the drama and stress to both of us. If you want to handle, a good idea is to scoop them up when they are sleeping as they will anchor themselves quickly to a branch and be difficult to get out. Also rinsing your hands in cool water can help avoid that first bite.

Hmm what else? They are gorgeous and small, they are super inquisitive! moving around in my room and I'll look over at the ammie wall and see little faces peering out to see if it's feeding day. I hope this helps!
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 10-19-2015 at 06:44 PM.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Re: Thinkin about getting an atb

Care is pretty simple really in my experience.

This is Felix's house, although not where it normally lives.

I'm redoing my office. Anyway, plenty of climbing areas with different levels. I use Eco Earth to keep the humidity up and have him set up on an automatic mister. The one live plant helps with that too. The dish is shallow because he really does not use it. I see him drinking off the leaves most often. The log was probably a mistake on my part. He spends his day in there most of the time. I had not known they were hiders when I got him. He's cool to watch in the evening though. There is a heat panel with thermostat under the tank and the lights on top. I turned on the UV light to get the shot, which is why they are both on. I use an IR light for the night time hours. Feeding is easy. Evening meal of a f/t hopper once a week. I feed when he's out hunting. Handling? Eh, he's tried to tag me a bunch but I'm faster so far. I have been able to have him out and held for a bit and that's gone well though. Anything else I can answer?

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks

How big can they get? Also do you think there a good beginner arboreal snake?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlondon1231 View Post
    How big can they get? Also do you think there a good beginner arboreal snake?
    I think they are a good starter arboreal but I am rather biased. Nothing wrong with starting with a GTP or ETB if that is what you really want and are prepared for.

Adult ATBs get about 4-6', keep in mind they are very slender and have very long, thin tails. The widest part of the largest ones I've seen are still more slender than, say, a can of redbull.
    I didn't have many photos holding them to show size but here's a few that might help give you an idea:
    baby:

this girl is a little bigger now, maybe a foot longer and a bit thicker than in this old photo but it gives you an idea:

I always like the way they will coil and eat while suspended

hanging out where the branches cross
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 10-19-2015 at 11:46 PM.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Do they grow fast or slow?

Thanks

I have Felix in a 18x18x24 tall. I was told I can keep him there for the next couple of years. Not sure that answers your question though.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlondon1231 View Post
    Do they grow fast or slow?
    I guess it depends on what you compare it to and how fast/big you feed it, compared to a colubrid or how fast people grow their BPs, yes, they are slow.

As with most boids (boas) they will do better in the long run grown slow.

I'd say they generally will reach full maturity around 5 yrs of age.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Did you end up getting one?

Dave