Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,227

0 members and 3,227 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Determining Het Albino?

Is there any possible way, by eye or other method, to safely determine whether or not a BP is Het Albino? I'd really like to one day start breeding, but I can't really achieve what I'm going for if he's a regular. The previous owner doesn't have any documentation regarding his genetic makeup.
    Damon, 18, VA

Balls

1.0 Het Albino (Archimedes) (752g)
    0.1 Pastel Genetic Stripe (Ada) (198g)

"Ssslipperyy Sssnaakkeee!"

Thanks
    There are no external signs for any recessive genes except, maybe, pied. If the person you got the snake from doesn't know it's lineage, it's likely it isn't het for anything.

Your best bet is to buy a female albino to breed him to, which would be counter productive, or buy a pair of het albinos from someone who can verify that they're really hets.

Thanks
    I have three het albinos and none have anything different about them then those who are not hets. Some people say a marker for Albino is a very clean white belly patch but I really don't think markers are the best way to determine if your snake is het or not. I also have het clowns. A marker for het clowns is a perfect stripe down the end of the tail just below the vent, once again none of mine have the markers. For het Pied, the marker is a track down its belly above the vent. My het pied also does not have this. However I do have a normal who does have the track but she is not het for anything. Het ghost/hypo marker is the BPs are a dull color. My sugar het hypo actually does have this going on (she constantly looks like she is in shed) but my male het ghost is normal in color. So out of my 8 hets, only one "might" have a marker.

Like Eramyl said, you are better of getting a het pair or buying a female albino and make your own hets the relying on markers your current BP may or may not have.

Thanks

Re: Determining Het Albino?

I guess an Albino female would be the way to go. If it turns out he is Het Albino, it only increases my chances of getting Homo Albino. I'm not one for breeding to make money, but the increased chances could help me pay off the excess amount I'll be spending to get the Albino female.

That's pretty disappointing, though. I really wish I knew. LLL had a Spider 100% Het Albino for $150, so it'd be an interesting clutch.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    Damon, 18, VA

Balls

Thanks
    Was the animal sold to you as het albino?
    -Paul-

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Proving out through breeding to a visual

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
    Was the animal sold to you as het albino?
    That's what was said. To be honest, I doubt the previous owner knew what that meant, which I guess serves as both a possible positive or negative -- positive being that it's not like they made it up because they don't understand it, negative being that they didn't know what they were buying and originally purchased it after being lied to by the breeder to form incentive.

Like I said, the best bet is probably just get a Homo Albino female and breed him to that. I'll never truly know, but maybe the number of Albinos will give insight.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
    Damon, 18, VA

Balls

Thanks

All you need is one. If he's truly a Het that'll prove it. Then again, you may not get any even though he is or rather may be at this point. 50-50 chance for each egg if I remember correctly. On the bright side, all the offspring will be het for albino if you go down this road.

Dave
    1.0 Banana Siagi (Butters) - 1.0 GHI Chocolate Het Ghost York - 1.0 Mystic Potion Sarge - 1.0 Pied ​Maine - 1.0 Normal Tucker - 1.0 Huffman ​Lopez
    1.0 Black Pastel Mojave Yellow Belly Church - 1.0 VPI Axanthic Spider Ozpin- Butter Hypo ​Jaune

0.1 Super Black Pastel Texas - 0.1 Humble Bee CT - 0.1 Pied Carolina - 0.1 Killer Bee Sheila - 0.1 Black Pastel Ghost Pinstripe Coco - 0.1 Pastel Yang - 0.1 Spider Nora - 0.2 Lesser Huffman Pyrrha/FILSS
    0.1 Pastel Yellow Belly Sally - 0.1 Pastel Orange Ghost Kaikaina - 0.1 VPI Axanthic Cinder - 0.1 Banana Cinnamon Kimball - 0.1 Shatter Spider​ Octavia - 0.1 The Red Gene Lemons

Thanks
    I am choosing 1 from three 50% hets...too bad there is no way to tell which to choose...i guess it's down to luck..but if somebody knows something please let me know.
    1.0 pied
    0.1 spider het pied
    0.1 normal het pied
    1.0 pinstripe het albino
    0.1 albino
    0.3 normal het albino
    1.2 cinnamon
    0.1 lesser
    0.1 bumblebee
    0.1 pastel
    0.2 normal

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vanthios View Post
    Is there any possible way, by eye or other method, to safely determine whether or not a BP is Het Albino? I'd really like to one day start breeding, but I can't really achieve what I'm going for if he's a regular. The previous owner doesn't have any documentation regarding his genetic makeup.
    No. There is no consistent way to determine albinism in most bp's. However there have been instances where a het albino may have a general lighter coloration than a normal. This is a rare occurrence and cant be relied upon. Also there have been reports of a pink tongue over a black tongue in some albino hets. Certainly the onus is on the breeder /seller to be honest, and forthcoming about the genetics of the animal. He should have pictures of the parents, pictures of the parents locked , the eggs and the hatchlings. He should be able to give you a written guarantee of the het genetics and back it up! I just hatched out a clutch of double hets for pied x albino and I have all that for my potential customers.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast