Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,438

2 members and 3,436 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help ID my red tail

I was given this Red Tail today by a friend of mine from work. Is it possible to identify the type / place it comes from based on the markings?

Do you probe them for sex the same way as a bp?

Any tips? I'll be building a 2x2x4 enclosure this week to accommodate the size.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Looks like a beautiful one!!!

Thanks

Re: Help ID my red tail

On a snake bytes vid Brian said that males more often then not will have bigger spurs then females. But if you want to be 100% sure you can try to sex them like bps. I'm not sure on the markings and where it came from you will have to get someone more experienced with boas to answer that question/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mustang5 For This Useful Post:

Tsanford (07-15-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang5 View Post
    On a snake bytes vid Brian said that males more often then not will have bigger spurs then females. But if you want to be 100% sure you can try to sex them like bps. I'm not sure on the markings and where it came from you will have to get someone more experienced with boas to answer that question/
    I don't pop, I probe. So would it be the same; females are shallow

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Impossible to tell locality without some lineage info but looks like a common boa, not a red tail. Looks like it's in good condition, I wish my friends would give me that kind of gift!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (07-15-2015),Gio (07-15-2015)

Thanks
    It is a common Colombian red tail boa. What GoingPostal is saying is that it isn't a true red tail, as in BCC (Boa constrictor constrictor) which are locality boas from suriname, Guyana etc. Good looking snake. For adults definitely probe, babies are easier to pop. Find someone who has experience doing this. How old is it? Im going to guess female...

For enclosure 4x2x2 is fine, but you don't really need that much height, unless you are into them climbing and having a ton of arboreal space. 4x2x1.5 is plenty to have some branches. Save some materials and money.

There are a ton of boa cage build threads. I would go with 1/2 or 3/4 inch quality plywood, seal to make water resistant. You then get to decide on door type, how you are going to heat etc. Lots of variables.

I am in the process of a cage build now, if you want to discuss further let me know.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

Cold Djinn (07-30-2015),CoryHEO (07-31-2015),Creepy Alien (07-15-2015),Gio (07-15-2015),Tsanford (07-15-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSloane View Post
    It is a common Colombian red tail boa. What GoingPostal is saying is that it isn't a true red tail, as in BCC (Boa constrictor constrictor) which are locality boas from suriname, Guyana etc. Good looking snake. For adults definitely probe, babies are easier to pop. Find someone who has experience doing this. How old is it? Im going to guess female...

For enclosure 4x2x2 is fine, but you don't really need that much height, unless you are into them climbing and having a ton of arboreal space. 4x2x1.5 is plenty to have some branches. Save some materials and money.

There are a ton of boa cage build threads. I would go with 1/2 or 3/4 inch quality plywood, seal to make water resistant. You then get to decide on door type, how you are going to heat etc. Lots of variables.

I am in the process of a cage build now, if you want to discuss further let me know.
    Thanks for the responses!

I figured it was a Columbian that is sold at every pet store.

As for probing. I have experience on my balls. I've probed at least 100 times. So I would need to verify if the depth / scale counting is generally the same. I can look that up though

I planned on making the display cage out of oak plywood, and I haven't decided if I'll do sliding doors or a fold down glass framed door. But I'll probably find a nice piece of drift wood and drill it permanently in. As for heat, it will be in my Snake room that's at 88, so I'm thinking I may only need some heat tape for basking. Also I'll wire in some leds for the display effect.

I'll send you a pm in a little Josh so that maybe we can brainstorm some.

Thanks
    Yeah, the big question is whether you want hinged or sliding glass. Even though it seems like a hinged door is easier, I have come to find that it is much more difficult to frame glass, and get a correctly articulating door, rather than just install runners for glass.

Thanks

I was thinking of mitered 45 cuts, run the router down center to make a groove, them use the craig jig to secure it all.

I also don't have experience with the sliding stuff. Id have to research about the tracks and such. Also would I have to have the glass cutting place cut the two circles for locks ?

Last edited by Tsanford; 07-15-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks
    You can definitely do that. The issue is getting the hinges to sit flush with the plywood. I found that you need to router out the width of the hinge to prevent a gap.

I have found some really easy ways to install sliding glass on youtube. Basically all you need is some C-channels from home depot, glass, diy glass cutting kit and liquid nails. Channels can be cut to the appropriate length to fit your enclosure, cut glass and slide into place. Can even pick up some cheap rollers to put in the channels to make sliding the glass easier.

You don't need to drill holes in the glass for locks. There are ratchet locks that work well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JoshSloane For This Useful Post:

Tsanford (07-15-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast