Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

1 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Too Many Clutches?

Hey everyone, as I've been starting to think about my breeding plans for the fall this question has been sitting in the back of my mind. So I will have about 10 or 11 females that are up to size this fall and could potentially lay clutches for me in 2016. They are mostly 2 gene animals except for one normal.

My question is, is 10 or 11 clutches too many for me to produce as a newcomer to the ball python scene? I'm concerned that I may not be able to sell the babies. I'm not worried about having a few extras that I'm not able to sell, but I really don't want to have my collection exceed around 20-30 animals that I will have permanently. I'm most certainly willing to take care of whatever I produce until it does sell, but if it is unlikely for me to sell 10 clutches worth of babies, then I will limit the number of pairings I do this fall.

Btw, I'm purely a hobby breeder. It does not matter if I make any money, but I simply want to improve the quality of my collection through my own holdbacks.

Thanks for any input!

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Are you going to be able to care for ALL of them should none of them sell??
    That is the same question I ask myself every time a pair up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Marissa@MKmorphs (07-07-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Too Many Clutches?

Quote Originally Posted by mwolf View Post
    My question is, is 10 or 11 clutches too many for me to produce as a newcomer to the ball python scene?
    If you have to ask, the answer is probably yes.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

black06gt (07-07-2015),Marissa@MKmorphs (07-07-2015),Stewart_Reptiles (07-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Well figuring that a female could lay a first clutch from 4 to 10 eggs with the average being 6 or 7, and you have 11 females, how do you feel about having to feed 70+ hatchlings for upwards of a year or more as you try to sell them? You say you want 20 to 30 but could be pushing closer to 100 after one breeding season.

I would look very seriously at prioritizing your breeding plans. Look at what you might be able to selectively produce this year and how that would open up new directions with the collection you have for the next year and the next. You may find that some of the females are not needed after year one or year two because of what you produce. Glutting the market with animals you don't necessarily want or need right now, just loads up supply thus diminishing the demands and returns while causing you to increase your work load and expenses. It may even take some of the enjoyment out of it for you if it becomes overwhelming?

Just my $0.02 but you did ask.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

mwolf (07-06-2015)

Thanks

You could try and make a relationship with some of your local pet stores and see if they would buy the babies from you at whole sale prices. I've got a couple local shops that will buy the extra babies from the two clutches I've got in the incubator.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks

I mean, yes I will definitely be willing to care for all 70+ babies should I produce that many, but I would not want to produce them if I know I will never be able to sell them. I have no problem limiting the number of clutches I produce, but I figured with all of my females laying my chances at creating more snakes that I want for myself would be greater. Ultimately the animals' needs definitely come first for me, so I don't want to make a mistake that might cause the snakes to suffer.

I guess it comes down to how hard is it to sell hatchlings as a breeder that has not yet established a reputation? Do you guys think it is best for me to only shoot for 4 or 5 clutches next season and then maybe I can produce more the following year?
    Last edited by mwolf; 07-06-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

I guess it comes down to how hard is it to sell hatchlings as a breeder that has not yet established a reputation?
    It's certainly not any easier. How hard are you willing to work to do so?

Do you guys think it is best for me to only shoot for 4 or 5 clutches next season and then maybe I can produce more the following year?
    See my previous response. What's best for you is a you decision. If you aren't able to handle the responsibility involved (ALL aspects of it, good and bad), then what's best for the animals is for there not to be as many in the equation.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Don't count your eggs before they pip. So far this year my results are:
    Clutch #1 - 5 slugs 0 good eggs
    Clutch #2 - 4 slugs 0 good eggs
    Clutch #3 - 4 slugs 2 good eggs, 1 went bad, 1 pipped
    Clutch #4 - 5 good eggs due to pip in couple of weeks
    Clutch #5 - 3 good eggs due to pip next month

I also have four females that have been paired but haven't laid yet, all were acting gravid and then one started eating again last weekend.

IMO pairing 5-10 ball python females each year is doable for a hobby breeder. I have more breeder females than that, I just don't breed them all each year. Same goes for my BCI's and BRB's.

In a few years when my retic females are big enough to breed I figure I'll only breed one or two females and no ball pythons that year, as my incubator just isn't big enough to hold more eggs than that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Don't count your eggs before they pip. So far this year my results are:
    Clutch #1 - 5 slugs 0 good eggs
    Clutch #2 - 4 slugs 0 good eggs
    Clutch #3 - 4 slugs 2 good eggs, 1 went bad, 1 pipped
    Clutch #4 - 5 good eggs due to pip in couple of weeks
    Clutch #5 - 3 good eggs due to pip next month

I also have four females that have been paired but haven't laid yet, all were acting gravid and then one started eating again last weekend.

IMO pairing 5-10 ball python females each year is doable for a hobby breeder. I have more breeder females than that, I just don't breed them all each year. Same goes for my BCI's and BRB's.

In a few years when my retic females are big enough to breed I figure I'll only breed one or two females and no ball pythons that year, as my incubator just isn't big enough to hold more eggs than that.
    I have only had 4 clutches laid and only three hatch thus far. Three of the four clutches were to first time bred females and the results were 6, 9, 9, and 4. The 4 egg clutch is in the incubator but all eggs are viable at present. So that is 28 eggs or an average of 7 eggs per. Of the 24 eggs that went to term, only one was lost to a twisted umbilicus that wasn't caught early enough to save it. I know this is anecdotal, but it is my experience.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 07-07-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Is there a expo close to you? How big of a city do you live in.. I live in a small town and would be hard pressed to sell 10 snakes all year locally. But I'm 2 hours from Minneapolis and there are 5 expos a year at 50 for a table. It is well worth me driving there and getting a table.yes you might have to sell them a little cheaper than you like but you are selling and getting your name out there.

Sent from my LGL15G using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to frostysBP For This Useful Post:

mwolf (07-07-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast