Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

1 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Registered User blackpastelball's Avatar
    Thanks

BP Behavior Change w/ new setup

I recently changed the setup for my ball pythons terrarium and have noticed that he is much less active. His original setup was in a 20 gallon tank with reptibark substrate and 1 log hide. I had him in that setup for approximately 3 weeks. He would hide during the day as usual, but he would come out almost every night and cruise his cage (except for 2 to 3 days after he eats)

All I changed in his setup was I built 2 really nice hides (I vacuum formed my own hides out of copoly) that were dark and low so he would feel safe, and I removed the reptibark and replaced it with paper towel substrate. After I made this change i never see him come out of his hide (except to move to the other hide) even at night I don't see him come out.

Is this a good or bad sign? Could it be that he just loves his hides so much that he doesn't want to come out? Or is he afraid to come out for some reason? Is this normal behavior for a BP to stay in their hide all night?

Side note he is still eating like a pig so that's not affected.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks
    This is completely normal behavior for a Ball Python. Some of mine come out at night while others don't come out except for when feeding day comes around. A popular quote around here is: "a hiding Ball Python is a happy Ball Python". There might be another reason he's hiding which is shedding. If a BP is going into shed, you'll usually won't see him till after he sheds which might take about a week give or take. So, don't worry. I'm sure your BP is happy in his new home.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

blackpastelball (07-06-2015)

Registered User blackpastelball's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: BP Behavior Change w/ new setup

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    This is completely normal behavior for a Ball Python. Some of mine come out at night while others don't come out except for when feeding day comes around. A popular quote around here is: "a hiding Ball Python is a happy Ball Python". There might be another reason he's hiding which is shedding. If a BP is going into shed, you'll usually won't see him till after he sheds which might take about a week give or take. So, don't worry. I'm sure your BP is happy in his new home.
    well its only been 2 1/2 weeks since his last shed (he was born Oct 2014) do you think he could be shedding again? I'll look for the pink belly, thanks for your reply!

Thanks
    I would say doubtful to be shedding again but it's possible. As long as the snake is eating well and doesn't seem to have any medical issues I would not worry about it at all.

Thanks

Re: BP Behavior Change w/ new setup

Quote Originally Posted by blackpastelball View Post
    well its only been 2 1/2 weeks since his last shed (he was born Oct 2014) do you think he could be shedding again? I'll look for the pink belly, thanks for your reply!
    If he shed two weeks ago, he's probably not shedding. Your BP is just appreciating his new home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)