Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,002

3 members and 2,999 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Tiny albino boas?

I've dreamt of having a big albino boa(not sand/rosy boas, bcc,bci) since I was a child. But they get a bit big. Which of the smaller ones(caulker key, hog island) come in albino or yellowish whiteis morphs?

Thanks
    A male BCI will get around 5-6 feet. Very manageable. I have a khal sunglow male and he is just stunning.

Thanks
    Well now, that I can handle(and my family won't fear that I die). And sunglow I know. So red tail boa males really don't get bigger?

Thanks
    I mean there might be some outliers out there but generally you can expect 5-6 feet for a male BCI. That's why I made sure my sunglow was male.

But sure to feed reasonably and he should top out at 6 feet. Boas have a slower metabolism and it's easy to overfeed which is not good for them. My sunglow is 9 months old and he is fed 1 rat pup every 10 days.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I wouldn't worry too much. It takes them a while to grow that big. My big BCI girl is about 3 years old and she is 6'. If you handle them regularly, they get fairly tame. Rosey the big BCI always likes to come out and sit on me, the couch or the bed. I also leave her cage door when im in the room and she will either sit with her head on the little dam for hours just relaxing or she will curl up next to the open door and sleep for hours on end. But for a female BCI, a good estimate is 8' and like I said, that is going to take awhile, not an overnight thing. Also its not so much the length that gets you as the girth. A male will stay fairly slender where as a female will hit a point where she slows down a lot on length but starts putting on girth. So again, a male will be smaller and thinner where as a female will be longer and have much more girth.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-27-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

HVani (03-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks. Then I'll definitly consider one when I get a bigger place. The dwarf boas we have in Sweden don't comein many morphs and they're twice the price of a red tail.

And by "Sunglow I know" I meant "I've seen them, they're pretty." Not sure what I was thinking.

Thanks
    I think here, BCIs are your biggest color morph species of boas. Most BCC are bred for locality so you want to keep the blood as pure as possible. They are also bred for high peaks or enhancements to their natural patterns, not really for a color morph unless you consider breeding for bright red tails a color morph. Seems if you are after purely color morphs, ball pythons got that in spades and I have seen a lot of retic morphs but those get pretty big unless you get super dwarf, then its just big for the wallet

Thanks
    Nicaraguan Bcis tend to stay smaller females topping out about the size of a male Bci (colombian / normal boa) and they come in T+ albino and hypo. I plan on looking into them myself in 2-3 years... I love boas but don't want an adult female Bci of normal size, so I'll have to work with nics. or other central americans that stay smaller if I want to breed.

Just in case you didn't know, a sunglow is a hypo albino. Also, "lipstick" line albinos tend to have more contrast, where "coral" albinos tend to lose their pattern as adults and have an overall peachy tone. If you want a snake that will maintain pattern as an adult, a good sunglow or lipstick albino / sunglow would be your best bet. My dream colombian bci would be a lipstick line jungle sunglow.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Lol I almost bought a Ronne Sunglow Jungle from the same guy I got my Redgroup/Burke lipstick Sunglow from. Just didn't want to drop $600 for it although a triple gene would be nice. It had a nice stripy tail too. Also remember, Lipstick line is from Tom Burke while Coral is from Peter Kahl and some purists believe that if your snake that is being labeled as "lipstick" or "coral" cant be traced back to either of those 2 gentlemens' stock, then it is just a label and not really a lipstick or coral.

Thanks
    I forgot to thank you guys for the replies, it was nice to know that I could find a manageable yellow boa one day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast