Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,166

2 members and 3,164 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Question Breeder vs. Forums?

So I've just recently (about a week ago) bought a 3 year old male from a breeder and she's been very helpful and has let me bombard her with questions as I'm new to BP's and want to make sure he (Banana) has the most comfortable home I can give him. Seeing as I don't want to bother her too much though, I took to this forum and I'm so so happy all of you are here. Yet some of the things I've read here don't match up with the information she has supplied me with. When I Initially set up my tank (10 gallon ((don't yell at me I know it's a little small for him we're working on a larger tank), I was trying very hard to get my temps in my low end above 75 because almost everyone here says that anything below that is too cold. But when I asked my breeder about how stressed he seemed and how I was having issues with my temps, she informed me that he's used to an 80 degree warm side.. We immediately rushed home to change the temp on the thermostat because we felt like we were cooking the poor guy if he's used to 80 degrees and I've got him at like 89?? so he's seemed pretty okay since then but seeing as he drowned my thermometer and ruined the adhesive to the probe so until I get my temp gun I don't even have a real good accurate reading of anything but the cool side right now so I just move the thermometer unit from one side to the other just to make sure he's not too hot / cold.. So I guess my question is should I stick to low 80's like he was used to in his tub with the breeder? Or keep the warmer temperatures of 88-92 hot side, 78-82 cold side? Because lately his cool side hovers around 68-73 and everyone here makes me feel like thats dangerous but the breeder says thats what he's used to.. I just don't want him to be unhappy or get sick.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Breeder vs. Forums?

Everyone does thing very differently, ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers.

Now when I give advice to customers or forum members the answer will depend on how experienced they are, for new owners I always recommend 76/78 and 86/88 a temps, do I keep my animals this way? Nope, but those allow to provide optimum temp range until the new owner is experienced and confident enough to try new things.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

OhhWatALoser (12-29-2015),Tyson88 (12-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Everyone does thing very differently, ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers.
    This sums it up. What's nice about forums is they allow you to get many different opinions and give you a start to figuring out what you feel is best for the animal.

I tell people 92ish hot spot, and shoot for a cold side 75-80, if you need to raise or lower your hot spot a couple degrees to get the cold spot in that range, go for it.

Thanks

Like Deborah said, there's so many ways of keeping but we try to give new owners "optimal" ranges.

Personally, I don't use hot spots whatsoever. I just keep my ambient temperature at 82 in all my terrariums and it works for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    What works in one house may not work in another.