Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,244

0 members and 3,244 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Best type of enclosure

I'm looking around the net, trying to find a good enclosure to save up for to get for my snakes when they are adults. I have been looking at PVC, polyethylene, plastic, wood enclosures. Personally they all have their faults and wins of course, but for an adult RTB I would need one of some size to it. I'm looking at vision cages and monster cages currently. I was wondering if anyone has ever bought either one of these two, have any recommendations of their own, or know anything better to do when it comes to enclosures over 6ft. I'm terrible at DIY, and I'm just going to save for the big enclosures while they grow and are ready for them.
    1.0 Mojave Ball Python -Optimus-

0.1 Red Tail Boa -Penny-

1.0 Anerythristic Red Tail Boa -Atlas-

0.1 Diamond x Jungle Carpet Python -Athena-

2.0 Bearded Dragon -Gizmo- & -Al-

Thanks
    Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Most adult RTB's are perfectly fine for life in a 48"x30"x18" enclosure. A very few females get large enough to need something bigger.

Since you have time, if I were you I would set cash aside and be prepared to pounce if a deal comes up locally. I have purchased used enclosures from Monster, Boamaster, Boaphile, Animal Plastics, and Visions off of my local CL and FB. Sizes range from 3 footers through 8 footers, some are PVC, others are melamine. When you have cash and a truck you can get used enclosures for half the cost of a new one and since I picked them all up there was no shipping cost either.

Obviously I checked them all for damage or problems before I bought them, and then I thoroughly cleaned and disinfected them in the front yard before I even brought them into the house.

So far I've been pleased, the products from all of these companies have been high quality and durable. They all work just fine at maintaining heat and humidity, and they are all easy to keep clean.

Thanks
    I really am a fan of Vision cages. I make my own cages now, but when I buy off the shelf ones I go with vision. I like the one piece design, no seams make for real easy cleaning, they hold heat well and are really light. As bcr229 said if you have the cash available you can find used ones for easily half the price. I got all of my Visions used, as long as there aren't any cracks they are good to go. I do know that some of the older models that went above 4 ft had some sagging issues after long term use, however they fixed that with a brace some time back.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    I like Animal Plastics, easy to assemble, maintain and a good price.

Thanks

Re: Best type of enclosure

Hmm, I did try looking on CL for used enclosures, had zero luck unfortunately. I don't know where else to look. People find all sorts of stuff on FB, but I can never find anything, suppose I don't know how to look for stuff.

Also, an adult RTB would be fine in an enclosure of just 48x30x18? I was always told to have at least a 5-6ft wide enclosure. My RTB's aren't really big climbers, I don't know if its because I don't have any branches or anything to climb or they just like to be in their hides.

Also what kind of size would be perfect for an adult BP? I was going to get a 40G Breeder until I decided to get one of the different types since glass tanks aren't being so awesome with humidity and heat. So around the same size of a 40G breeder just shorter in height I assume?

Thanks for the help everyone!

0.1 Red Tail Boa -Penny-

Thanks
    Thanked 9,863 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicJok3r View Post
    Hmm, I did try looking on CL for used enclosures, had zero luck unfortunately. I don't know where else to look. People find all sorts of stuff on FB, but I can never find anything, suppose I don't know how to look for stuff.
    Search for reptile classifieds for your state. You can also put up a WTB ad. Also, enclosures aren't offered all the time, you have to check every few days. Since your snakes are small you have time to be patient and wait for a deal. If nothing pops up at least you've saved up the money to buy new in the meantime.

Also, an adult RTB would be fine in an enclosure of just 48x30x18? I was always told to have at least a 5-6ft wide enclosure. My RTB's aren't really big climbers, I don't know if its because I don't have any branches or anything to climb or they just like to be in their hides.
    That's what I have all of my adults in. Even if a BCI did outgrow it eventually, it would take quite a few years.

Also what kind of size would be perfect for an adult BP? I was going to get a 40G Breeder until I decided to get one of the different types since glass tanks aren't being so awesome with humidity and heat. So around the same size of a 40G breeder just shorter in height I assume?

Thanks for the help everyone!
    36"x18"x15" would be fine, just not a glass tank.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I am definitely going to be looking and keeping an eye out online. Also thank you for the help, because who would have thought what I read on the internet was misguiding?!? Haha. Honestly though, like I said I have learned my lesson on glass enclosures. I thought I could make it happen, and I did by reading what others had to do. It's just a pain to keep adjusting things every day to keep everything stable, thank goodness for Herpstat on some of them.

0.1 Red Tail Boa -Penny-