Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,094

2 members and 3,092 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Also, should the little boa test positive for IBD, then what should I do? It would be asymptomatic at this point.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Prevalence of IBD?

Quote Originally Posted by Running Elk View Post
    How fascinating.

How do people acquire these other viruses that you've mentioned as being the culprits of various outbreaks? From outside animals (not quarantining), or do they also lay dormant in their animals until a specific time? I would think that a rapid mass die-off of animals would almost certainly indicate that they brought it in from elsewhere abruptly.
    OPMV can lay dormant for a period of time, as can other viruses. Other ailments - some bacterial - can actually be subclinical for a period that exceeds whatever QT period you read about in most care sheets.

You have a collection of ball pythons, you go to an expo and pick up a new caramel sugar mega pied fudge and it is an asymptomatic carrier of OPMV. At some point, past the cookie cutter QT period, the snake becomes symptomatic for whatever reason and then begins shedding the virus. Boom your whole collection is now at risk.

Also, should the little boa test positive for IBD, then what should I do? It would be asymptomatic at this point.
    I would. Some may agree....some may disagree. That is ultimately a decision that you have to make after careful examination and weighing of the risks.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 05-06-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks
    I would. Some may agree....some may disagree. That is ultimately a decision that you have to make after careful examination and weighing of the risks.
    Something got lost in translation there -- probably because of my weird wording of things.

I was asking; when I get her tested, what should I do if she is to test positive? She would be asymptomatic as of right now.

Thanks

Something got lost in translation there -- probably because of my weird wording of things.

I was asking; when I get her tested, what should I do if she is to test positive? She would be asymptomatic as of right now.
    If it was your only snake....I'd keep it.

Since it's not, I'd euthanize it.

Thanks
    She could be someone's only snake.

I have a friend who wants one boa. Just one.

I'd give her to him, on the understanding that she had IBD and that should be his only snake -- and that at some point, she may fall ill.

She's in a 4 part rack by herself (it wasn't in use before I acquired her). Assuming she tests positive, will time and cleaning with a bleach solution make it safe to use again?

Thanks
    This is a fascinating topic... And mildly disturbing as I have both boas, BPs, and others in my small mixed collection. All of mine did the typical quarantine period without any issues and are housed together. At this point, if any of mine happen to have IBD, I guess it's safe to assume that all of them have been exposed.

Running Elk- Maybe a cleaner like F10SC or F10SCXD would work to clean the rack with? I believe those cleaners are supposed to kill viruses, bacteria, and fungi, so I assume they would work on a virus like IBD (but have never used them to treat such). A bleach / water solution wouldn't hurt either.

Skiploder- Are you still adding animals to your collection at this point, and if so, do you have them tested for IBD before introducing them to your collection? Do you have your vet take blood samples and then send off to a lab or what is the procedure you use? Also, do you mind me asking how much you typically pay for testing to be done?

Unfortunately, there are no reptile-experienced vets in my area... I'm not even sure I'd feel confident in letting someone take a blood sample from one of my snakes, much less a biopsy... I'll have to consider this.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Skiploder- Are you still adding animals to your collection at this point, and if so, do you have them tested for IBD before introducing them to your collection? Do you have your vet take blood samples and then send off to a lab or what is the procedure you use? Also, do you mind me asking how much you typically pay for testing to be done?
    I actually would like to know this as well.

Also, apparently each test is $130 through UF -- I found that out today, as I've been Emailing back and forth trying to get this all figured out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    This is a fascinating topic... And mildly disturbing as I have both boas, BPs, and others in my small mixed collection. All of mine did the typical quarantine period without any issues and are housed together. At this point, if any of mine happen to have IBD, I guess it's safe to assume that all of them have been exposed.

Running Elk- Maybe a cleaner like F10SC or F10SCXD would work to clean the rack with? I believe those cleaners are supposed to kill viruses, bacteria, and fungi, so I assume they would work on a virus like IBD (but have never used them to treat such). A bleach / water solution wouldn't hurt either.

Unfortunately, there are no reptile-experienced vets in my area... I'm not even sure I'd feel confident in letting someone take a blood sample from one of my snakes, much less a biopsy... I'll have to consider this.
    I don't have boas or pythons anymore. My vet ended up buying all of my aspidites.

Thanks

She could be someone's only snake.

I have a friend who wants one boa. Just one.

I'd give her to him, on the understanding that she had IBD and that should be his only snake -- and that at some point, she may fall ill.

She's in a 4 part rack by herself (it wasn't in use before I acquired her). Assuming she tests positive, will time and cleaning with a bleach solution make it safe to use again?
    You could use bleach, F10 or any cleaner indicated as a virucide. However, if she is asymptomatic, I would not overly worry about it. Then again, being safe is better than being sorry - right?

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post

I should clarify my previous response. I don't have boids anymore. However as a matter of course, any animals added to my collection are put through a QT period in which I have the vet do the following tests:

1. A hemagglutination-inhibition test for OPMV.
    2. Fecal tests for internal parasites and crypto.

...continuing with our list of disease you can bring home from your friendly Reptile Expo, I present you with a nasty bacterial infection that can mimic a whole host of ailments. Ladies and gentlemen, I present the delightful scourge known as Osteomyelitis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123