Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

3 members and 3,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Scale discoloration, possible necrosis?

Hi everyone,

I've noticed some scale discoloration near the rear end of the belly on my ball python a few days ago. And noticeable dark red/brown discoloration at the tip of the tail. I know this could be a possible scale necrosis. I was wondering if should I wait a little longer to see if it will heal, or prepare to go to a vet and get him checked and possibly get some medicine before it gets too bad. Or if possible, is there anyway for me to help it heal before it needs medicine? Here are some pics.

http://postimg.org/image/dhnct4naf/

http://postimg.org/image/bl4laf5d1/
    Last edited by 2010ngojo; 04-20-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks

Re: Scale discoloration, possible necrosis?

Gently bathe the area with clean water and a spot of dish soap, then rub in some bacitracin. Do this a couple times a day. He should shed it off, though if it gets worse, you'll want to see a vet of course.

Do not use Neosporin as it has an agent in it that can be harmful (the stuff that numbs the area). Bacitracin is what I always use and can be found at CVS or Walgreens in the same aisle as Neosporin, etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Citrus (04-20-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladywhipple02 View Post
    Gently bathe the area with clean water and a spot of dish soap, then rub in some bacitracin. Do this a couple times a day. He should shed it off, though if it gets worse, you'll want to see a vet of course.

Do not use Neosporin as it has an agent in it that can be harmful (the stuff that numbs the area). Bacitracin is what I always use and can be found at CVS or Walgreens in the same aisle as Neosporin, etc.
    Thanks for the quick reply. You think I can use hand soap instead? Also do I just use a soft rag to clean the area?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I would also check your thermostat is working correctly and there are no hot spots as that could also be a mild burn.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    It could be scale rot I don't think necrosis it does not look to be so bad. Burn or scale rot are more likely, necrosis is dead flesh, this appears to be inflamed but not dead. (necrosis is usually back and foul smelling)

You should be treating the area the poster earlier is fine. Keep it clean. It is also critical to figure out why, check your temps with a reliable probe thermometer or even an IR gun. Be sure the enclosure is clean and dry and is the snake is not kept on damp (wet) substrate or filth.

Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies you guys. I'll do what I can. I'll let you know if it gets worse in the upcoming weeks.