Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,353

3 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Prices/ display animal?

I'm interested to see the price of bananas to see if I get a display type snake one that is stunning to the masses (I'm still up in the air on the look of them) as an eye catcher to get to people kinda what is now possible to do with ball python. but I don't want to get one that's $600 and in another year the price be about 200-300 it's more just as a conversation piece because I want to make the best looking kingpin or jigsaws around because me and my daughters think they are just the best looking even though not crazy expensive and we are gonna keep are baby's as pets. I'm also not in a huge rush and the shows won't be around here until after breeding season like August so I hope to get better prices by then also.
    i have also seen snakes advertised as display only and am wondering if this is a injured healed animal and if you guys would purchase one? They are usually marked at a discount and wondering if it's genetics that make it not reproduce or if it's a display that was actually injured like by probing and can't reproduce.

Thanks
    " as an eye catcher to get to people kinda what is now possible to do with ball python" A banana is a starting point, not ending. You don't "make" a banana. You purchase a banana and breed it to other morphs to make banana whatevers...

"i have also seen snakes advertised as display only and am wondering if this is a injured healed animal and if you guys would purchase one?" "Display only" most likely means "nfs" = not for sale. Which is also false, unless it is a pet that is loved dearly. For the right price anyone in the biz for money will come off their "display only".

An animal that can not reproduce is most often referred to as "pet only".
    Last edited by Viol8r; 01-30-2015 at 05:28 AM.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Prices/ display animal?

The price seems to drop every year a codominant or dominant morph is available.

It happens with recessives as well - just more slowly.

The best advice I can give you is that these animals live a long time so choose one you like enough to scoop poop for 20-40 years and ignore the money side of it.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (01-30-2015),se7en (01-30-2015),Viol8r (01-30-2015)

Thanks
    Yep, I watched the CG's price drop from $700 to $300 on a few sites I visit. They have gone back up about $100 since there aren't as many being sold right now. This summer should be interesting, and by September/October they should be real cheap...lol
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Re: Prices/ display animal?

Quote Originally Posted by Viol8r View Post
    " as an eye catcher to get to people kinda what is now possible to do with ball python" A banana is a starting point, not ending. You don't "make" a banana. You purchase a banana and breed it to other morphs to make banana whatevers...

"i have also seen snakes advertised as display only and am wondering if this is a injured healed animal and if you guys would purchase one?" "Display only" most likely means "nfs" = not for sale. Which is also false, unless it is a pet that is loved dearly. For the right price anyone in the biz for money will come off their "display only".

An animal that can not reproduce is most often referred to as "pet only".
    I think I'm thinking of "pet only" not display, but I would be display it. I just had a brain fart. Thank you
    and you make the good point take its not something that's an "end product" but it is a product of selective breeding. I WILL ( I'm determined to) have a blue eyed Lucy someday if I buy it or breed it and that is a better example and still Awsome looking but I was just thinking if prices take more of a dive bananas will be more affordable and maybe a deal too good to pass up even if it's not a money maker in the future it makes people do a double take, some uninformed or non herping people think a BEL is just a white snake found in nature and have no idea the lengths to "make" one