Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

6 members and 3,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User Prometheus34562's Avatar
    Thanks

Help with humidity!

Just bought my first bp today, a beautiful cinnabee! so far she's acting well, she's in her hide and went on exploring earlier but now shes in there again. But I have a problem with keeping the humidity up so far. It keeps lowering to 40% and I know I need at least 55-60%. I have an exo terra tank and I've tried covering most of the top with damp cloth, spraying the tank, putting water ball on warm side, and yeah the humidity goes up that moment but never stays up.

Should I be worried with 40%? I do not want to spray too much as I'll just make everything too wet and probably mold but I also dont want my new friend to die overnight from bad humidity conditions! (if that could happen).

The top is mostly mesh and I've done a bit of research and some people say cover it with plexiglass, that's kinda not an option for me right now sadly , But some people also proposed covering most of it with tinfoil , would this work ? is it even worth a try? some even say tight wrapping?

Other things I would like to try is putting in a moss ball in there but its already night time and pet stores will close or are probably closed, I dont have that option tonight.

Any emergency ideas please? Dont want my snake to die! thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Your snake won't die overnight from low humidity. Personally the only time I ever worry about humidity is when I have one that is going to shed, then I mist the cage two or three times per day. Have never had any problems

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, that calms me down a bit lol. Been pulling my hair out allnight trying to figure this out!
    You think my suggested methods would work though? tinfoil and moss ball combination?

Its steady 40% right now but I'm almost certain it could drop even lower through the night since I live in a very dry province in Canada!

Thanks
    its just dropped to 35! ahhh!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Relax, take a breath.

Yes foil or foil tape on the screen is a very common practice. A number of other materials can be used as well.

A word of caution about placing damp towels on the screen. If its a metal screen the wet towel will cause it to start rusting.

As for a emergency fix its not really needed. One night is a drop in the bucket as humidity is something that needs to be sustained to have a seen effect be it bad or good and one night is not going to cause that. Not in this situation.

Now there is a very easy fix. I use a 40gal glass tank with a foil tape covered lid for my BP. Why? Because I like the way it looks. Is it easy? Maybe not as easy as a pvc cage but I find it easy enough. In my tank the humidity stays in the 30s so to fix this issue I place damp moss in both hides. This creates a micro climate inside the hides and since that's where your snake will remain most of the time it will directly benefit from it. It does not matter that the outside humidity is low as long as you are providing the moss.

During a shed I keep the moss damp throughout the process but during regular periods I make the moss damp and then allow it to dry before making it damp again. This mixed with a daily mist should keep your snake happy and give you perfect sheds.

Cypress mulch is also a great substrate for low humidity cages and misting, even heavy misting is unlikely to cause mold as long as you have proper air flow. This is created by leaving an area of the lid open be if for a heat lamp or just for air flow. Just avoid covering the entire lid.

Also being new here start to use the search feature and you will find most if not all of your questions can be answered without having to wait on use to chime in.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, I just tried the tin foil solution earlier and its working great actually!, the humidity even stabilized at a very high percentage that I had to air it out for a bit to keep 55-60, good stuff there. If however it lowers again if my province gets any dryer I will pick up some moss balls to throw in there and perhaps an actual humidifier for the whole room in general.

Anyway's problem solved for now. Thanks again for replies!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus34562 For This Useful Post:

MontyAndMelissa (12-20-2014)

Thanks
    Okay now I just have to figure out how much of the top to leave open because now its so humid her hide is condensating!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have the same problem , but i only cover 50% of the screen top and use a humid hide, which my guy hates , he won't even explore it. I also use a reptifog fogger on a timer to go off every 4 hours and it works great. Creats a gentle fog so fine that even when it dissapates nothing is wet but the humidity is noticeabley higher, up to 60 - 65%. So for extremely dry places that is another option. I live on long island and we only have humidity problems from november to march . most of the time our humidity is around 50 - 60% with no added help.

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Help with humidity!

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus34562 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I just tried the tin foil solution earlier and its working great actually!, the humidity even stabilized at a very high percentage that I had to air it out for a bit to keep 55-60, good stuff there. If however it lowers again if my province gets any dryer I will pick up some moss balls to throw in there and perhaps an actual humidifier for the whole room in general.

Anyway's problem solved for now. Thanks again for replies!
    Just remember, if you get a humidifier for the room it will raise the humidity and it will be harder to get it down to where it should be. I actually have a layer of foil, then on top of that, I have a towel and a blanket. It keeps humidity in, and heat, and is very inexpensive.

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Help with humidity!

Also, take a look at your local pet store, the coconut shredding I'm using now holds in humidity well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast