Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,859

0 members and 1,859 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

jpriebe2 (44)

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Keeping MICE VS RATS

hi guys,

i've been having some second thoughts about keeping my MICE breeders and continue to breed them rather than feeding them and go with RATS all the way. i used to breed my MICE for the hatchlings and younger balls, but ive been noticing that most keepers are fine with RATS. ive notices that mice have high cannibalism rates that why ive been wondering o keep them or just focus on rats all the way..

any opinions?

Thanks

Re: Keeping MICE VS RATS

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Massey View Post
    hi guys,

i've been having some second thoughts about keeping my MICE breeders and continue to breed them rather than feeding them and go with RATS all the way. i used to breed my MICE for the hatchlings and younger balls, but ive been noticing that most keepers are fine with RATS. ive notices that mice have high cannibalism rates that why ive been wondering o keep them or just focus on rats all the way..

any opinions?
    I've never kept or looked into keeping mice, so I wouldn't be the expert on them. I've heard that nutritionally, there isn't really a different gram for gram, and the only reason people will recommend rats over mice is due to BP's being picky eaters and sometimes not wanting to switch feeders (which means many many mice where one rat would be more convenient). I'm only breeding rats right now, mostly because of the size snakes I'm looking to feed (3 small enough to eat mice or rat pinks/pups, 5 on small to large rats), and the baby rats work well enough for feeding my smaller snakes. If you have the space for both and you don't think your BP's will be too picky about switching food, I would say go for it, but if you have to pick one or the other I'd say go rats.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

Joe Massey (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    I don't mess with mice due to the increased smell. Might just be me, but mice stink way worse, even when the bedding is changed more often. This was my second year working with hatchlings, and all were started with rat fuzzies. I also breed asf's, and they have even less smell than the rats, and they cover any need I get for smaller prey. Also work well for picky BPs as a way to jumpstart feeding.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkbird For This Useful Post:

Joe Massey (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    i guess ill be focusing on rats instead. you have any tips to increase the number of babies a mom delivers? not that im no getting an average of 6-8 pinkies, but you guys thinks there are ways to increase the numbers of the pups? ive seen moms deliver a 13 pup litter its not constant though.

Thanks
    Actually I kind of suck at getting decent sized litters, I'm actually looking for some new genetics to add to my breeding group to freshen things up. Other than that all I do is try to select my breeder holdbacks from moms who have a history of having larger litters.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    has selecting your breeders with good history worked out so far? are you getting better chances? hmmm makes me wonder as well, i havent been choosing my female breeders. but that might work.

i also wonder if the tub size matters, diet or even the father of the litter.

Thanks
    thanks deb, what would be your take in my case, should i keep the mice or just focus on the rats? - should i get a new colony of mice and get rid of the current ones?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Massey View Post
    thanks deb, what would be your take in my case, should i keep the mice or just focus on the rats? - should i get a new colony of mice and get rid of the current ones?
    Like I said with the right colony cannibalism is almost inexistent (took me 4 tries from scratch to achieve that but I did eventually)

Now as far as starting your hatchlings if you are fine with rats you can always concentrate one that if you have the room to do so but I will recommend to keep a few mice just in case, not all hatchlings will start on rats so unless you have a steady supplier, keeping a few on hands might be a good idea.

I have always kept mice just in case even before keeping colubrids.

Now if you want to keep mice I would start from scratch again don't holdback from animals that cannibalize their young same goes for chewers and biters.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    thanks.. ill keep that in mind. gotta look for a good supplier.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I breed both, I have limited amount of room and can breed more mice in the same square footage than rats.

I also need mice for my colubrids and I prefer to start hatchlings BP on mice, I get a better response that way.

As far as my adult BP they are on rats simply because I prefer to feed one prey versus 3 to 5.

Now when it comes to mice breeding if you have a good colony canibalism is as low as canibalism in rats.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-13-2014),Joe Massey (12-09-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast