Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,171

1 members and 3,170 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: feeding tricks?

Thanks

feeding tricks?

I recently got a baby bumblebee ball python and she wont eat. I just tried for the second time and still nothing. Should i leave the mouse in the cage overnight? What can i do to get her to eat? She only weighs 55 grams i really want to put some weight on her and get her eating. My other ball pythons have never skipped a meal yet so im freaking out on what i should do

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Don't worry, she is just adjusting. Don't leave the mouse in with her over night. Give her another week alone before trying again. You can try different prey items. If she's not eating a mouse, try a rat pup. If she won't take it frozen, try live, ect. I wouldn't worry til it's been a couple of months or there is a sudden drop in weight. I got a clown in October and he just started eating last week. Turns out, he will only eat mice and I kept trying to get him to eat rats. Kinda feel dumb for not trying that sooner but hey, I'm still new to this

Thanks
    I think im only worrying so much because of how small she is. The best part about having a snake is feeding it lol. But thank you. I will give her another week before i try again.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: feeding tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by darrien421 View Post
    Should i leave the mouse in the cage overnight?
    Frozen? Or live?

If it's FT, leave it in there overnight. She may eat in the middle of the night.

If it's live, take it out, and leave her alone for a week. Doublecheck your temps and humidity and all that, leave her alone, and try again next week.
    Last edited by 200xth; 11-25-2014 at 04:14 PM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

All my ball pythins eat live. Is it ok that she is only 55 grams and not eating right now? My others were around 75 grams when they were babys. I kniw this should be the last thing but when should assist feeding be done if it gets to that point?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

All my ball pythins eat live. Is it ok that she is only 55 grams and not eating right now? My others were around 75 grams when they were babys. I kniw this should be the last thing but when should assist feeding be done if it gets to that point?
    55g is on the smaller side, but she can go a bit without eating if needed.

How long have you had her for? Do you know anything about her before you got her? When she ate, what she ate, etc?

If you got her recently, she may just be stressed still. Check all the temps and humidity, close up the enclosure, and let her sit for a week then try again.

Thanks

Temps and humidity are perfect and i have had her for a little more then a week.. I ordered her online and called the place and they said she may have been at there reptile show and as soon as she got back got shipped to me. But she dose not seem stressed besides not eating. The first 2 days she was not in her hides. Now she is hiding all day and going to the warm side at night. She also drinks alot. I have seen her drink several times sence i had her so i know she is hydrated. My others i only see drink after they eat sometimes.

Thanks

Just patients. Lol she will eat when she is ready. My het pie george ate fine last week the day after i got him.. but yeaterday was feeding day and everyone ate but him so... just gotta wait till next feeding day. Which for my 3 babies is 4 to 6 days.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Temps and humidity are perfect and i have had her for a little more then a week.
    If you only had her a week and you've tried to feed her twice, she probably just needs to acclimate.

Make sure she has enough hides, etc to make her feel secure, make sure she has water, close up the enclosure, leave her alone, and try again in 7 days. Don't handle her, play with her, mess with her enclosure, nothing. Check on water every couple of days, but other than that, let her sit there quietly.
    Last edited by 200xth; 11-25-2014 at 10:54 PM.