Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

1 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Iguana Aggression. Please help!

This is Gus and Lady(who is not pictured). They are juvy iguanas that we received as rescues from a friend who couldn't keep them. They are very aggressive. I would say Gus is plain mean. He puffs up, he whips his tail, and he stares me down. Lady is shy and will only act aggressive at last moment or if handled. She will bite and tail whip. They are getting to the age where we NEED them tamed down. Reaching into their cage causes chaos because they freak over the slightest movement even if it means food. We've tried everything from just leaving our hands in their cages for a while to handling them and letting them bite us until they feel like letting go. Nothing works. What can we do to tame them? Would separating them help?

0.2 Normal
    2.1 Ball Python(Sterling, Boots, & Eden)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa(Anakin)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon(Beatrix/Trixie)
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    1.0 Chihuahua(Panda-Bear)
    2.0 Betta Fish(Finnley & Pescado)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks
    I'm currently reading a book about iguanas. In one of the chapters in goes into detail on how to tame a aggressive iguana. Always remember that this is most likely going to be a long process of gaining your iguanas trust. I hope this advice will help. Good luck!

1. Slow movements
    2. Don't pick up the Iguana from above body
    3. Get a sturdy stick and wrapped clothing at the tip. Slowly pet the iguana with the stick, and if successful slowly start pushing the stick away from the iguana, and start using your hand to pet.
    4. Always try to get your iguana out every day.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts

Re: Iguana Aggression. Please help!

Iiiii am not so sure I would go with the stick method. The only way you're gonna tame an ig is handling it everyday. Ideally this would have been done when they were hatchling and not quite so capable of dealing out damage, but there isn't any helping it at this point. Make sure you've given them enough time to settle in to there new environment from the time you got them (one to two weeks) with minimal interaction. Once you're ready to start the taming process, take it slow. go in for only a couple minutes at a time, BUT DO NOT RETREAT. Biting, tail whipping, puffing up and head bobbing are all things igs will use to intimidate you, and if you let it, they'll learn to KEEP doing that.

Sobe was really amenable to treats when I was taming her. My first interactions were to stick my hand in with a high value food item (strawberry slices) or just part of her diner and just... sit there. Hand extaned, food offered. Let her do her panic thing, and when tail whipping didn't drive me off she would eventually calm down enough to come over and tongue flick around cautiously, trying to figure me out. once she was reliably taking food from my hand, I would come in from the side with the other. started with petting her, then lift her up for brief moments, first just her front half, then the whole ig, and finally taking her out of the enclosure for a few minutes at a time then putting her back before she tensed up for a fight again. Took about a month of daily interaction but she got it figured out that pink squishy warm tree means food and exploration out of the enclosure time. She never really got to be a friendly lizard, but she would do just about anything for a snack, and that's how we got to be buddies (she still would have nothing to do with my husband though, lol).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    Iiiii am not so sure I would go with the stick method. The only way you're gonna tame an ig is handling it everyday. Ideally this would have been done when they were hatchling and not quite so capable of dealing out damage, but there isn't any helping it at this point. Make sure you've given them enough time to settle in to there new environment from the time you got them (one to two weeks) with minimal interaction. Once you're ready to start the taming process, take it slow. go in for only a couple minutes at a time, BUT DO NOT RETREAT. Biting, tail whipping, puffing up and head bobbing are all things igs will use to intimidate you, and if you let it, they'll learn to KEEP doing that.

Sobe was really amenable to treats when I was taming her. My first interactions were to stick my hand in with a high value food item (strawberry slices) or just part of her diner and just... sit there. Hand extaned, food offered. Let her do her panic thing, and when tail whipping didn't drive me off she would eventually calm down enough to come over and tongue flick around cautiously, trying to figure me out. once she was reliably taking food from my hand, I would come in from the side with the other. started with petting her, then lift her up for brief moments, first just her front half, then the whole ig, and finally taking her out of the enclosure for a few minutes at a time then putting her back before she tensed up for a fight again. Took about a month of daily interaction but she got it figured out that pink squishy warm tree means food and exploration out of the enclosure time. She never really got to be a friendly lizard, but she would do just about anything for a snack, and that's how we got to be buddies (she still would have nothing to do with my husband though, lol).
    We only have the female now and she escaped for a few hours and lost her tail. She's no more friendly than she was before. Handling her is out of the question. If you even move to do anything but refill food or water, she will spazz. I don't want to stress her when she needs to heal from a traumatic wound. Is there anyway to get her to eat and trust me without possibly losing her again?

0.2 Normal
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

Yeesh poor baby I'm not sure how your enclosure is set up so I don't really have advice for making sure she doesn't get out other than be extra cautious and make sure you've checked and double checked for escape routes. You shouldn't be trying to take her out of the enclosure on purpose until she's settled down some what, unless an emergency demands it. Maintenance and husbandry are a must though, she's just going to have to get used it. Move slow, don't stare at her (she'll think you're a predator if you try to stare a lot), don't come in from above her, and basically just make yourself as unoffensive a presence, but still a presence as possible. It will take time, maybe months, but be consistent, she'll get used to you. Some igs never quite tame out into cuddly pets, but she should at least become used to the daily life and house keeping that goes on around her.
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 01-01-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks

Yeesh poor baby I'm not sure how your enclosure is set up so I don't really have advice for making sure she doesn't get out other than be extra cautious and make sure you've checked and double checked for escape routes. You shouldn't be trying to take her out of the enclosure on purpose until she's settled down some what, unless an emergency demands it. Maintenance and husbandry are a must though, she's just going to have to get used it. Move slow, don't stare at her (she'll think you're a predator if you try to stare a lot), don't come in from above her, and basically just make yourself as unoffensive a presence, but still a presence as possible. It will take time, maybe months, but be consistent, she'll get used to you. Some igs never quite tame out into cuddly pets, but she should at least become used to the daily life and house keeping that goes on around her.
    That she has she's still our beautiful little girlie. Our cage is a ventilated wood cage that is more tall than wide. Like a snake tank tipped on its short side almost. Helpful??

0.2 Normal
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCWood View Post
    That she has she's still our beautiful little girlie. Our cage is a ventilated wood cage that is more tall than wide. Like a snake tank tipped on its short side almost. Helpful??

0.2 Normal
    Maybe. Is the door very large in comparison with the rest of the enclosure? If it leaves a lot of open space for her to get past you when you go in for regular upkeep, you might want to try blocking part of it off with a towel or blanket, or something like that.

Thanks

Maybe. Is the door very large in comparison with the rest of the enclosure? If it leaves a lot of open space for her to get past you when you go in for regular upkeep, you might want to try blocking part of it off with a towel or blanket, or something like that.
    Taller than me because its set on a mini fridge. It makes a whole side of the cage

0.2 Normal
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks

Here is a pic of her. Been eating a lot of kale😄

0.2 Normal
    0.1 Kitty Cat(Willow)
    0.2 Rats(Mishka & Laney)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Many iguanas are pretty nasty if they're healthy, I believe. Thick leather gloves and minimal exposure if the regular handling sessions have failed. This is a pretty unqualified perspective though. Good luck!
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast