Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,944

1 members and 2,943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Large/Heavy NOT native to GA Colubrids

So I was planning on getting a pair of corn snakes this summer; a corn was my first snake and it would've been nice to have them. Whelp my husband got a job in GA. Guess what? No native reptiles may be kept as pets, PERIOD. No amount of documentation of captive breeding or morph variation will help you. Plus it's a $1000 fine per animal. Great.

So what are some large, heavy, and tameable colubrids that are NOT native to the southeastern US? As a personal preference I'd like to avoid snakes from hell (Be it personality or because they're wild caught), species that don't feed readily on rodents, and I have a high preference towards animals that can become puppy tame with time and handling.

I already have the Blue Beauty snake on my list of possibilities, although finding a pair of healthy captive bred ones from a reputable source is looking daunting.

What else is out there? Big and/or heavy preferred and I am a sucker for pretty color/pattern.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Samong For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-16-2015)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Large/Heavy NOT native to GA Colubrids

Bull snakes, Black Milsnakes
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (04-16-2015),Samong (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Plenty of large, beautiful options in the Pituophis and Drymarchon genera.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Samong (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honduran Milk snakes get pretty good sized and have a lot of different variations/mutations Some can get a little twitchy but overall they're not too bad.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Samong (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    No suggestions... But want to say that I feel your pain. I live in GA and was very bummed when I found out cornsnakes were illegal here. :/
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

10. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Samong (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Large/Heavy NOT native to GA Colubrids

I'd agree with the others who have suggested Bull snakes. I have two and they're considerably larger than my Cal Kings but the care is almost identical. They're one of the largest North American colubrids, they come in some beautiful morphs, and they're monsters at feeding time. Both of mine were a little hissy in the beginning but they're puppy dog tame now. Rat snakes are another option. Best wishes with whatever you choose.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Samong (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    So it looks like after making some planning regarding adult caging that I will likely be getting a 1.1 or 1.2 group of Vietnamese Blue Beauties...there's a strong chance I can get at least one and maybe two, three might be a tall order. But here's hoping. I'm a sucker and have fallen in love with Baird's ratsnakes, so those guys are also probably going to be picked up sometime this year. The Texas Indigos are what I've settled on for Cribos, but I'm going to take some time to save for those guys. I want to find the right breeder and not jump on the cheapest thing I see. I can't have any Pituophis melanoleucus, but I'm still looking into the offerings of Pituophis catenifer. Some I like the look of and others I'm just not really in love with.

It's kind of shocking how little is offered online compared to what you can find of Pantherophis obsoletus, Pantherophis guttatus, ball pythons, boa constrictors, and Lampropeltis spp. I'm not an old-timer in the hobby at all, but I feel like 10 years ago there was more variety with species availability. It's not that I can't find breeders of these animals, just that there are far fewer and are harder to find than the popular species breeders.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Some Pinesnakes, Bullsnakes.

Thanks
    If I couldn't have a corn snake I would go for a yellow rat snake but I see looking at their range map that you can't have one of those in GA either. You definitely need to be bothering politicians in Georgia! Everglades rat snakes are from the everglades. Should be legal. Really beautiful snakes. Don't want to post a picture without permission on my very first post here but I love the looks of this guy's Everglades rats.

http://www.sunshineserpents.com/Capt...at%20Snake.htm