Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

1 members and 3,142 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AP Cages?

Thanks

Question AP Cages?

Hi all! I'm new to this forum but I wanted to ask for some advice about cages.

So i currently own one male ball python, a bearded dragon, and 2 geckos, and I've been looking to upgrade the beardies cage and my Ball pythons cage.
    I then found Animal Plastics and have been looking at them for quite a long while, a couple of my friends have said they're alright, worth the wait, etc. But I wanted to get some opinions from you guys and I have a few questions:

1) I wanted to get two T8 cages, would that be alright for my male ball python? He's an adult.

2) I've heard that the cages trap in smell, Is this true?

3) What type of stand do you have yours on? I have 2 dogs so I want it to be higher up so they can't mess with the reptiles.

4) Are they worth the money? I plan on getting a few of the extras and I wanna make sure it's worth the 500 dollars I'm going to be shelling out.

thanks for the advice!!
    1.0 Normal Ball Python

0.2 Leopard geckos

0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Re: AP Cages?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddithehuman View Post
    Hi all! I'm new to this forum but I wanted to ask for some advice about cages.

So i currently own one male ball python, a bearded dragon, and 2 geckos, and I've been looking to upgrade the beardies cage and my Ball pythons cage.
    I then found Animal Plastics and have been looking at them for quite a long while, a couple of my friends have said they're alright, worth the wait, etc. But I wanted to get some opinions from you guys and I have a few questions:

1) I wanted to get two T8 cages, would that be alright for my male ball python? He's an adult.
    Yes, in fact you can actually put a divider inside the tank and comfortably house two adults.

2) I've heard that the cages trap in smell, Is this true?
    A lot of people will say no, but the truth is yes. These are cages made specifically to keep in humidity and heat well and in turn that will also keep in odors.

3) What type of stand do you have yours on? I have 2 dogs so I want it to be higher up so they can't mess with the reptiles.
    I have mine on an 80$ stand from walmart. It is basically the exact size as the cages.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...to-55/20666560

4) Are they worth the money? I plan on getting a few of the extras and I wanna make sure it's worth the 500 dollars I'm going to be shelling out.
    For ball pythons specifically?! H-E-L-* Yes! The temperature and humidity is extremely easy to maintain and as long as you keep up with cleaning water bowels and substrate they are perfect! My balls have been noticeably happier since I move them into these cages from glass vivs.

Here is a picture of my T8s.

thanks for the advice!!
    1.0 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Bumble Belly

Thanks
    My opinion is the T8 isn't tall enough for a beardie because they like to climb, I personally would look at something in the 2ft tall range, but for a BP it would be perfect.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Awesome! I plan on going to a convention pretty soon here so I'll probably get a female ball python and use a divider!

- - - Updated - - -

my beardie is extremely lazy, she enjoys running around rather than climbing haha
    1.0 Normal Ball Python

0.2 Leopard geckos

0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,578 Times in 2,988 Posts

I'd never say don't go AP. I think they are beautiful cages, and like some of the options they provide.

But,,,,,,, just to make things a little more interesting, I highly recommend Pro-Line cages from Constrictors NW.

I personally think the plastic used is the highest quality plastic in the business and they look pretty cool to boot.

But I'd also happily take an AP cage here.

Depending on the species you plan to keep, height is a very important factor. I'm somewhat miffed that Boaphile cages don't really accommodate arboreal or semi arboreal species at an affordable price like AP or Pro-Line.

I personally like a little head room. Even our Royal moves up to the higher parts of her cage and she is the most terrestrial snake we have.

Thanks

I just keep ball pythons, I definitely don't think the parents would allow any snakes I would want besides those haha. I like sliding glass doors rather than pull out doors, though. They look cool though!
    1.0 Normal Ball Python

0.2 Leopard geckos

0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maddithehuman View Post
    I just keep ball pythons, I definitely don't think the parents would allow any snakes I would want besides those haha. I like sliding glass doors rather than pull out doors, though. They look cool though!
    Yep,

Then go AP and get a T-8 for your royal.

Thanks
    Having a low overhead for a beardie or any lizard that requires overhead heat and UV makes it difficult to properly meet their requirements. When the cage is so low your basking spot is more concentrated, which means that it gets hotter in a smaller point, so one its hard to provide a basking spot to cover he length of the lizard and if the heat is more concentrated it has the potential to burn them. Bearded Dragons will climb if they are provided with proper branches, ledges, rocks, and space.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    Having a low overhead for a beardie or any lizard that requires overhead heat and UV makes it difficult to properly meet their requirements. When the cage is so low your basking spot is more concentrated, which means that it gets hotter in a smaller point, so one its hard to provide a basking spot to cover he length of the lizard and if the heat is more concentrated it has the potential to burn them. Bearded Dragons will climb if they are provided with proper branches, ledges, rocks, and space.
    My bad, I was thinking this was for a royal somehow.

I always like a bit of height. That said, there are AP cages that provide this so as JC said, go for some headroom.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    My bad, I was thinking this was for a royal somehow.

I always like a bit of height. That said, there are AP cages that provide this so as JC said, go for some headroom.
    They wanted one for a BP as well as I beardie. Their justification for low headroom for a beardie is that its "lazy". Generally lizards appear "lazy" if husbandry or suppliments are off.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast