Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,461

0 members and 2,461 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

new here advice on bp tererium

Hey evryone i just got a ball python a few weeks ago and she only came in a 10 gallon at a little over 2 feet long. i aquired a 30 long and set it up with under tank heat pad on one side with a heat lamp i have a hide on hot and cool side as well as a decent size water dish and a log type piece that sits on hides so there is plenty of ground space. i have a screen top and 3/4 of it is covered in foil tape to help keep in humidity. the problem im having is that my temp is good for nights and days but my humidity id only about 45 and lower at night inside the tank. ive read to mist but not too often for fear of mold. i use aspen bedding. even with a mist the humidity only rises for a few minutes what can i do to help or is 45good enough. she just shed and it was all in one piece except for small piece of tail which i was able to roll off with warm water. any advice would be appriciated.
    Last edited by dgrout1989; 10-22-2014 at 02:37 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I also have a terrarium, and recently read a suggestion to place another hide on the warm side and stuff it with damp sphagnum moss. I've done that this week so too early to notice if it helps but it seems reasonable.

Thanks
    If she shed in one piece, I don't think I would change anything, but if you want another opinion. I would switch to bark and try to bring humidity up to 40-50%. You can add moss it will help hold the moisture. If it is possible slide water bowl over the heat pad to where just a little of the pad is covered with water bowl. this will help.. When you see he or she is starting to go into shed up humidity to 70%........also you said you had a heat lamp, the heat lamp will dry out your tank. You only need the heat lamp If the heat pad is not doing its job. Be sure to use a thermostat of some kind, and keep probe on top of heat pad, but on the outside of the tank. I keep mine over 78 on cool side and under 90 on hot side.. I like a lot of moss it looks more natural to me.....all the above is in my opinion everyone has got one .......hope this helps.....
    0.1 normal
    1.0 spider
    1.0 pinstripe
    1.0 bumblebee
    1.0 green iguana
    2.1 bearded dragons
    1.3 children
    0.1 wife

Thanks

Re: new here advice on bp tererium

thanks for replies sorry it took so long for me to get back on here. i did not know heat lamp would have that negative effect i have a digital themometer and hygrometer but i have both probs centered in the rear of the tank. as it is not i can keep it around 84 with heat lamp slightly on. and humidity will hover between 40 and 48. like i said she shed in almost one whole piece maybe a half inch of tail came off a few days after. i will try cutting out heat lamp and getting some moss but the more i read as long as humidity is around 45 to 50 most of the time i should be fine right?