Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,492

0 members and 2,492 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Re: Reticulated Python Q & A Update

Head scale counts compared to known locales. Beside that you just have to trust the importer. Will say that they known locales have a different look to them but resemble kalatoa very strong.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (10-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I think it'd be useful to retic keepers, present and future, to cover "pushing" since it's probably one of the leading causes of health issues in the species. Shouldn't take but a short segment to touch on indicators, causes, remedies, preventatives, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    I think it'd be useful to retic keepers, present and future, to cover "pushing" since it's probably one of the leading causes of health issues in the species. Shouldn't take but a short segment to touch on indicators, causes, remedies, preventatives, etc.
    Yeah, this is an interesting topic - Most keepers understand the logic involved in pushing and have dealt with their fair share of it. Fortunately I've never had any long term pushing issues, just minor ones. There was an interesting case from a guy in Europe not too long ago posting on the retic nation group - he was looking for a credentialed person to testify about pushing in order for him to keep possession of his snakes. Apparently, his retics had been pushing pretty severely and caused an issue with one of their faces (tore lip likely). This sparked interest with some of the locals and they called animal control on him. Now he has a court date to appear for animal abuse, because the retic did what retics do. They are blaming it on too small of an enclosure, poor husbandry, underfed, etc... Unfortunately, you can have perfect husbandry, and a properly sized enclosure, and this will still occur.

I'll touch on this topic for sure, it would be likely of general concern for many new keepers / potential keepers.

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 615 Posts
    Not sure if you've ever covered this in a video, and not really a question to answer for me since I finally understand it. Lol but maybe touch on the whole purple, white, and lavender albinos and what they produce? So many people seem to be confused by it, and admittedly I was too until I saw you somewhere explain it as alleles on a punnet square.

Purple= pp
    White= ww
    Lav= pw

Before that, I had only seen it explained as "purple x purple produces all purple, lav x lav produces all 3, but purple x white produces only lavs."

Seems so simple now that I get it, but no wonder so many people get confused by it when explained that way. Lol
    Last edited by TheSnakeGeek; 10-27-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeGeek View Post
    Not sure if you've ever covered this in a video, and not really a question to answer for me since I finally understand it. Lol but maybe touch on the whole purple, white, and lavender albinos and what they produce? So many people seem to be confused by it, and admittedly I was too until I saw you somewhere explain it as alleles on a punnet square.

Purple= pp
    White= ww
    Lav= pw

Before that, I had only seen it explained as "purple x purple produces all purple, lav x lav produces all 3, but purple x white produces only lavs."

Seems so simple now that I get it, but no wonder so many people get confused by it when explained that way. Lol
    Add to that the mocha complex... while it doesn't matter which strain you use of the clark albino (purple, white, or lavender) it works similar but different -

Mocha x Albino = Mochino

Mocha x Mocha = Mocha

Mochino x Mochino = Mocha and Mochino and Clark albino

Mochino x Albino = Mochino and Clark Albino

Mochino x Mocha = Mochino and Mocha

For what it's worth.
    Last edited by reptileexperts; 10-27-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    Filming this weekend. Last chance to get those questions in!

Thanks
    Almost forgot this one... I know you've mentioned this before to someone considering a SD or a D... That they should consider the cost of feeding a larger retic down the road vs. the cost of feeding the smaller SD, which would be far less.

What is the estimated cost of feeding a normal retic, a dwarf, and a super dwarf?
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123