Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

1 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boo

Thanks

Boo

This is "Boo", as named by my little nephew when I first got her. I actually don't know the sex of the snake, but I default to "her".

This first picture is of her exploring a new hide that I placed in her tank. The hide has a few holes for her to crawl in and out of, but enough "coverage" that I sometimes can't see her in it at all. Since taking this picture, I turned it around so that the largest opening faces the corner and I covered more of it with fake foliage so that she can slip out the back unseen. She seems to enjoy using this hide and the different exits. Since I took this picture, I also covered the sides and back of the tank with foam core. I temporarily had the sketchbook there to limit how far she could see near that hide.

Here is what her tank currently looks like. That curly stuff is actually fake reindeer moss that I found at Michaels. I decided to add it because I read something about balling up newspaper so that the snake will feel like they're being touched by something while moving across the bottom of the tank. The fake reindeer moss provides that kind of "cover" while she moves from the hot side to the cooler side, and it is easy enough for her to move through. She has a few different hides and pieces of bark to slither under along the bottom of the tank, as well. The water dish is obscured by the fake reindeer moss -- one of her favorite places to hang out is actually *under* the sideways flower pot. I have it propped up on the log hide so that there's enough room. I recently added some pieces of bark to block the view to the underneath of the pot some more, so it feels even more secure (no worries, it came from the pet store, not just random bark from my yard). She's eating well and seems secure in the tank! For an extra sense of security, I have another piece of foam core that I put up over the front of the tank when I know I'm going to have the lights on in the room later at night.

She has some ZooMed digital thermometers on either side of the tank (white cords) and she *had* a cheapy humidity gauge. Unsurprisingly, it popped off the tank wall soon after I took this picture! Ugh. Will have to replace with something higher quality.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to saelokason For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-19-2014)

Thanks
    Woah! Awesome looking terrarium! Does the sphagnum moss help a lot with humidity? Also I read somewhere on here that putting sphagnum in their hides around the top helps with shed...correct me if I'm wrong.
    "The best darn derpy ninja there ever was."
    -Sir Hognose 2014

Thanks
    Thanks! Woops, I misidentified that as reindeer moss...now I'm not sure what it is since it isn't sphagnum (that's visible). Whatever it is, it is fake. I do have some real moss in the tank, but it isn't visible in the picture. I have some of it near the water dish on both sides of the tank, and some stuffed under the flower pot where she likes to rest. I got it to help keep the humidity up, and it does help since glass tanks are rather poor at that. What also helps is the cardboard I have on the top.

Boo hasn't shed for me yet, so I'll find out.

Thanks
    *derp* i didn't think about the "fake reindeer moss" part. :S
    -Sir Hognose 2014

Thanks
    Muahaha. But hey, you were right that I have real moss in there, too!

Here is a picture of the "hot side" from above.

And a picture of the "cool side" from above.

Boo is totally in the tank, so I think that speaks to the effectiveness of her hiding spots. A lot of the stuff in the center exists for her to move from one side of the tank to the other without getting too stressed out. Her primary hides are very closed in. She doesn't seem to preference one or the other and moves back and forth to regulate, so I think this set up is working out for her. Eating good for me so far. Her water dish absolutely needs to be cleaned now that she took her latest meal for a bath...

And a final picture. Boo's neighbor, Sweetheart, getting a drink of water. Sweetheart is in a 5 gallon. I always think it is amusing when I actually catch my T drinking, so I just had to snap a picture. I've only ever seen her do it twice.

Thanks
    Pretty awesome. Do you know what species your T is? He's kinda cute for a spider haha. (Not saying all spiders are ugly lol)
    -Sir Hognose 2014

Thanks
    Yep! She's a G. Rosea...chilean rose.

Boo's a normal BP. Man, would I love to get a fire, or bumblebee.
    Last edited by saelokason; 11-13-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks
    I found another picture of Boo from before I re-did her tank. This was from when I first put the flower pot hide in the tank and she was exploring it. She prefers to be under it rather than in it now that I added more things.

Thanks
    She looks like a little puppy!
    -Sir Hognose 2014

Thanks

Re: Boo

She's so cute! Ugh I can't deal with how cute BPs are! I love the first picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast