Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,345

2 members and 3,343 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Considering breeding my own feeders

I've been considering it for awhile and I'm about ready to take the plunge. I was hoping to see if anyone had any tips. I'm planning on having two 1:3 tubs to start with, since I only have eight snakes and have never bred rodents before. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew right off the bat.

A couple random questions:

Where are the best places to find breeding stock? I'm considering buying a couple from a family-run pet store near my house (not a big chain place), but is it better to get from expos?

Are there particular types/colors/etc of rats that would be best to have? I read something that said it was best to try and get different colors to differentiate litters, but it didn't specify males or females. Would it even matter if I was cycling males through and not doing harem breeding?
    -Hannah

0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Wednesday)

Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal (Pugsley)
    2.0 Cinnamon (Peep & Tank)
    1.0 Lesserbee (Lemon Meringue)
    0.1 Super Pastel (Dollop)
    0.1 Pewter (Trifle)
    0.1 Hypo Pastel (French Toast)
    0.1 Mojave (Tiramisu)
    0.1 Pastel Sugar (Boston Creme Pie)

Thanks
    I don't breed mine yet (just have 3.3 as pets right now), but I wanted to mention a couple things to consider.
    1. You will need to decide how you will dispatch them first (Co2 chamber, spinal dislocation, etc.).. You will end up with more than your snakes can eat, so more than likely will need to kill / freeze or sell your extras.
    2. They smell... a lot... do you have access to an area to keep them with ventilation, but at good temps (this is the number one reason I'm on the fence about breeding myself)?

For your questions. I think the main thing with picking them out is to get healthy and friendly stock. See if there are any feeder breeders in your area and they may have rats available (check FB for local groups). I would definitely go with ones bred for temperament as getting bit is no fun. If you have to go with pet store or expo stock, watch out for sneezing and signs of ill health (patchy coats, dark fluid from the nose / eyes, etc.).

I don't think colors matter, but if you want to be able to sell extras off as "pets" you might want to consider getting a range of colors / markings... and the "dumbo" eared ones are always popular as well.

Good luck!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    You're going to run through generations so fast you can start with less than the best stock and still do fine. Select females from females that produced large litters and always select for fat, healthy, non-sneezy rats. I don't think differentiating litters is very important but maybe I'm not thinking it through enough.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    I do have the space, and I plan on using a CO2 chamber to euthanize the rats (I can rig up a basic chamber with items I have on hand, and a local grocery store sells dry ice that I'll use). I'm currently going back and forth between tubs and a rack, but I already have the space allocated.

Thanks for the tips. I've decided to pick up some rats at my local expo this Saturday, so I need to make a decision about housing them quick!
    -Hannah

0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Wednesday)

Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal (Pugsley)
    2.0 Cinnamon (Peep & Tank)
    1.0 Lesserbee (Lemon Meringue)
    0.1 Super Pastel (Dollop)
    0.1 Pewter (Trifle)
    0.1 Hypo Pastel (French Toast)
    0.1 Mojave (Tiramisu)
    0.1 Pastel Sugar (Boston Creme Pie)