Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

1 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Breeder Q. (kinda long)

I posted on here about a month ago about losing my young bp. I purchased her and my male from the same breeder at the same time. A couple weeks ago he regurgitated and started refusing water and acting the same as my female did before she died. Obviously I don't want to lose him. I went to my vet (highly recommended for reptiles especially bp's) his assistant listened to everything I had to say and also offered some advice on what I could do until the very came back from vacation today. Needles to say everyday I check on my baby hoping he survives the night. The vet was back in office today so on my lunch I took him in hoping they could see him. The receptionist said they had no openings for today but then the vet came out and basically told me that he was keeping the baby over night for fluids and tests. Then he asked where I got my snakes and I told him.... he made it very clear that the problems my babies had and are having are because of the "reputable breeder" I thought I had gotten the snakes from. Apparently this vet sees a bunch of snakes with serious problems from this breeder. So if you have made it through my little novel here my question is.... how do you know if someone is a reputable breeder or just really good at selling a nubie 2 sick snakes? All advice welcomed

Thanks
    The main litmus test for most is feedback on the BOI... You can search for posts already about the person, or you can post asking for feedback on the person in question. Usually if there are multiple negative statements about a breeder, I won't consider purchasing from them.

You can also post on the feedback section here on the forum and ask about people you're interested in.

Have you tried contacting this breeder about the problem and if so, what has been their response (please don't mention names in this section of the forum, or this will get bumped to the feedback sub forum)? The halmark of a good breeder isn't only selling good animals, but also fixing their mistakes, whether they be shipping issues, mis-sexing a snake, or selling a sick animal accidentally. A good breeder will care about their reputation and will make things right.

If you haven't checked out the BOI, do so and read up on your breeder. If you haven't talked to the seller about this, then contact them and give them a chance to help you. If they refuse, you may have to post about them on the BOI yourself.

Good luck with your current snake and I hope he makes it.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Re: Breeder Q. (kinda long)

The seller told me he was sorry and thats it. The breeder is local so there is no shipping issues. I purposly didnt mention names.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Providing names of the breeder help people know who to be cautious of so we receive healthy happy snakes.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Masonic For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (09-30-2014),PitOnTheProwl (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masonic View Post
    Providing names of the breeder help people know who to be cautious of so we receive healthy happy snakes.
    This... but please do it in the feedback and BOI forums.

It's also rather telling that your vet knew of the "reputable breeder", and not in a good way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    Yes it was.. the breeder recommended that particular vet.And from the way things went today, the doc doesn't want any association with the breeder.
    I just want my little boy to live
    Last edited by sb1209; 09-30-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks
    Sorry to hear that... Does the vet know what is wrong with your current snake / what killed the other one? If it is some sort of virus or bacterial infection, the breeder's collection might be infected with it. It could be a condition that lays dormant for a while and then shows symptoms later.

So you purchased from a seller that had already bought the snakes from the breeder (you didn't buy directly from the breeder himself)? Just wanted to clarify my understanding of the situation. IMO, when you add multiple steps into the transaction it can complicate things. This is why I try not to buy from resellers at shows, etc.

If you fell the need, you can post in the feedback section here and give folks names so that people will know to avoid this breeder in the future.

Good luck with your snake, I hope he improves for you.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I really hope your little boy makes it, but in case he doesn't, please have a necropsy done on him.

Thanks

He didnt make it. My very called me earlier. This is the second baby I have lost.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sb1209 View Post
    He didnt make it. My very called me earlier. This is the second baby I have lost.
    Sorry to hear that.

If you can afford it, get a necropsy done. If there's a breeder or reselling selling sick snakes out, it would be good to know.

Also, when you get a chance, I sent you a PM as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast