Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,297

2 members and 1,295 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Should I buy?

I found a male clown for sale on Craigslist. He is asking $325 for it which is low so I asked about him. Age, weight, ect. He said he is 5 months old, 175g, and eating well. Isn't 175g low for a 5 month old BP? My female is only 3 months and weighs 226g. I'm not power feeding her, in fact I need to move her up to larger prey. Should I still consider buying him like that since it's a good price? I will post a pic later

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Should I buy?

A good price is not everything a good looking animal is, but if you like it and the price is right then it's up to you.

Other considerations are customer service, will the seller be there for you after the sell or will he disappeared soon as the deal is made.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Pic would help to determine the quality of the animal and you would get a better response to the value...

Thanks
    I agree 175 seems very low to me...

"Eating well"

could mean

"Every third week, when i give him a fuzzy mouse, he gobbles it right down."

I have gotten three snakes from craigslist, a single and a pair. Each time I went into the deal assuming the person had no clue what was they were doing and that I would have to judge for myself the quality of the animal. I was not disappointed in either case. Wound up with 2 healthy snakes over all, so as long as you're willing to put some time into your cheaper buy I think its totally worth it.

Not only do you get a cool animal out of it, then you improve the life of the snake, but also you get to take a cool animal away from an undeserving owner.

Its a win, win, win scenario.

This isn't to say that every craigslist seller is unawares. I have also gotten a hand full of animals from a friend I met through craigslist. But it is obvious to tell the difference between someone who is selling babies, or downsizing their collection for various reasons, they know what their animals are worth and are advertising far enough in advance to get what their animals are worth. And someone who wants no money for a tiny collection of expensive animals for the good old "my wife doesn't like snakes", "my apartment doesn't take snakes", "some lame reason so I need to get rid of them ASAP".
    Last edited by Velrys; 09-30-2014 at 03:54 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Wink

Yeah I know price isn't everything. I want to make sure that I'm getting a healthy snake which is why I asked. He looks good in the picture but idk when the pic was taken. He said that it was a problem eater and he was only feeding him once every two weeks though now he is eating 2 rats a week.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Velrys View Post
    I agree 175 seems very low to me...

"Eating well"

could mean

"Every third week, when i give him a fuzzy mouse, he gobbles it right down."

I have gotten three snakes from craigslist, a single and a pair. Each time I went into the deal assuming the person had no clue what was they were doing and that I would have to judge for myself the quality of the animal. I was not disappointed in either case. Wound up with 2 healthy snakes over all, so as long as you're willing to put some time into your cheaper buy I think its totally worth it.

Not only do you get a cool animal out of it, then you improve the life of the snake, but also you get to take a cool animal away from an undeserving owner.

Its a win, win, win scenario.
    that's a good way to think about it. I'm worried about getting a problem eater.. But if he's healthy when I go check him out this weekend I'll buy him

Thanks
    He looks just fine. Not the least bit thin. Snakes can be like people and some grow at different rates than others. at 5mo+/-, I would not worry much at all about 175g

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aLittleLessButter View Post
    that's a good way to think about it. I'm worried about getting a problem eater.. But if he's healthy when I go check him out this weekend I'll buy him
    Well, when you go look at him, if his temps or humidity are off, or he's an itty bitty boy rattling around in a 40-breeder lacking in snug hides, you'll have a pretty good idea of why he's not eating.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have no issue with the weight, it is perfectly acceptable range and people tend to put too much value on number versus overall look.

Would I by him? Personally no but that is because this is not my type of clown.

Now if you are happy with the way he looks then you should go for it, it's gonna be YOUR clown, no anyone else's
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I have no issue with the weight, it is perfectly acceptable range and people tend to put too much value on number versus overall look.

Would I by him? Personally no but that is because this is not my type of clown.

Now if you are happy with the way he looks then you should go for it, it's gonna be YOUR clown, no anyone else's
    I've never had a clown so I don't really know what characteristics are ideal. Some time down the road id like to make an attempted at making butter bee clowns and this opportunity for a clown just happened to show up. My shorter term project is to make BELs but I don't know if I should pass up a deal on a clown now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast