Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

2 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    How long have you have the UTH off? I would stop using that soil, since the problem always happens after you replace it. Have you tried keeping him on the paper towels for an extended period of time? What kind of thermostat were you using? How do you measure temps??
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 09-30-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Spartacus12 (09-30-2014)

Thanks

Re: Skin Problem with my ball python - HELP...

I have stopped using the plantation soil since he last shed on sept 19. I use paper towel on top and plain white paper under the papertowel.
    I use a digital thermometer with a probe near the bottom to get the correct temp

Thanks

I didn't mean to write thermostat sorry I meant to write I regulate it with a thermometer electric with a probe close to the ground

I do not have a thermostat

UTH off about a month now

I haven't tried papertowel for too long just when he would heal.
    Now I think I know the problem... the soil. I will not use it again.

Im just worried if he will recover and be okay ?
    how else can I help him?
    is it a burn??? maybe a mix of reaction and burn

my partner and I handle him a lot, it happened within a few days
    Last edited by Spartacus12; 09-30-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    I think it could have been a burn from the UTH, especially if you aren't using a thermostat. A thermometer doesn't regulate a UTH, it only reads temps, and depending on what kind it could in inaccurate readings. It takes reptiles a long time to heal, so if it was a burn, it could be getting re-irritated and/or re-infected from being back on the soil and not healing quite long enough. I highly suggest switching to papertowels until it is completely cleared, at least a few months. Nothing else really comes to mind other than burn when I see that. I'd be doing those soakings daily until it is completely healed, and then keep the paper towels. I would also look into a different substrate once it is healed, just as a precaution. I would keep handling down to a minimum. If it's infected, humans carry a lot of germs not to mention stress won't help with the healing.

I think if it gets worse you may need antibiotics.
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 09-30-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Spartacus12 (09-30-2014)

Thanks
    I'm sorry did you say you were soaking him with betadine solution?

Thanks

Your right thermometer doesn't regulate it reads temperatures. Sorry its been a long day and for some reason on this site I cant type a lot it cuts off at times and I cant explain what im trying to say in detail

the vet told us to use betadine mix water for a soak.

what antibiotics do you suggest? If I requested some from the vet to try would it hurt him?

Thanks

I only handle while caring for him since he is having problems. I disinfect very well before and after. I don't want to stress him out as well like you said. I use betadine solution and also apply some non pain - antibiotic to the spots. I don't know what else to do. Hes on paper towel and I removed everything except his hide and water dish to avoid transfer of any more bacteria... I disinfect with part water part bleach, rise and dry. every week...

is it a good idea to keep the uth off as I have been?

Thanks
    I think you should continue the betadine and water soakings every day and keeping him on clean paper towels, along with either getting a thermostat and keeping it at a lower temp or keeping your lamp and just making sure you keep the humidity up. I think if it doesn't clear up within a few weeks, or starts looking worse, I would request antibiotics. If it starts to heal you might not need antibiotics, just make sure you don't try and use any kind of OTC topical stuff like Neosporin. The petroleum based products can do worse for a burn than help. I'm sorry I don't have a suggestion for specific antibiotics, I've never had one of my snakes burned, but if you request it I'm sure your vet will know what to do.

I just read you put cream on it...what kind are you using?
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 09-30-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks

The vet last week told me to use the Betadine that I had already purchased and was using prior. He also told me to use an ointment without painkiller. So that's what I did. I put a small amount where it's lifted, I've read and heard good and bad about using ointment. It's clear not like a lotion - life brand. So I guess it's a topical type OTC :S
    I can't say for sure that he didn't burn himself as anything is possible. He kept saying it was a reaction. It did not look this way when I went to the vet last week 1 day after his last shed... Which it looked better then BOOM this happened ? No UTH and papertowel. So I'm confused as to why it got worse when it was getting better with no triggers to the burn idea?

I know it's hard to tell, and I've thought of burn too considering it's his lower half. His top half is as beautiful and normal as can be. I'm taking him back to the vet, I want to request something to put on it to help. I feel useless.

Thank you for your expertise. I will purchase a better set up for heat. Any recommendations?

I also appreciate your time to help with your input.

My Sparty Party <3

Thanks

I kept using the plantation soil as it was recommended to help me keep humidity levels to par. I didn't realize it may of been hurting him or a problem until this time around when I removed it immediately.

I will keep the UTH off and use his heat lamp until the better set up.

I'll also take your advice and quit the ointment - I don't want to hurt him.

My Sparty Party <3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast