Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,033

6 members and 3,027 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,555
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Bp doesn't use hide

I recently bought a 58 gram normal ball python and I keep it in a 10 gallon and the hot side is 90 and cool side 80 . She is always just out in the open. I've heard before, a hiding ball is a happy ball. I was just wondering if there could be a problem with her. TIA

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Bp doesn't use hide

It can take them a little time to realise the hide is safe to use. How long has she been in the setup?
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

How large is the hide you are providing and how are you measuring temps? My little guy doesn't seem to be too picky about hide size, but I have heard of ball pythons refusing to use hides if they are not cozy enough. They like to feel something on all sides of them, so if the hide feels too exposed he may not use it. You may check the floor temp vs surface temp in the hot hide depending on what type of substrate you are using just to confirm that everything is correct. Usually the concern is more along the lines of them refusing to leave their hide and winding up with burns if temps are not correct, but since he won't use it at all I would be inclined to try a different size of hide. You can even take a plastic bowl or terracotta pot flipped upside down with a single entry hole cut out of the top. Some like this method because it closely mimics the burrows that they would occupy in the wild. I have read a few threads where bps refused hides until they were switched for a different size or style, but took to the new one immediately.

Thanks

I have all of mine in Vision 211's and my albino male rarely uses his hide. He would rather be snug up against and be partially under the bottom lip where the sliding glass doors ride. His setup is identical to all of my others so it just has to be what he prefers. He is as calm as can be, eats well, poops regularly, and sheds perfectly, and has gained significant weight so he isn't unhappy at all.
    0.1 Desert Yellowbelly BP | 0.1 Yellowbelly BP
    0.1 Pastel BP | 1.0 Super Pastel BP
    0.1 Champagne Het Hypo BP | 0.1 Spider BP
    0.1 Lesser BP | 0.1 Pinstripe BP
    1.0 Caramel Albino BP
    1.0 Butter BP | 1.0 Pied BP
    1.0 Cinna Bee BP | 1.0 Albino BP,
    2.1 normal BP's
    2.1 Western Hognose Het albino | 1.0 Western Hognose Albino Het Axanthic
    1.0 Anaconda phase Western Hognose
    1.0 BCI Boa |0.1 Hypo Het Snow Boa
    0.1 Hypo Boa | ​0.1 Hogg Island Boa