Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,432

1 members and 3,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Do you feed live but don't raise your own mice/rats?

Mods, I'm posting this thread here as the sections on mice and rats seem to be mostly about breeding them, if I'm wrong feel free to move this thread there.

So my thoughts have been recently centered around feeding live vs. f/t. I know the pro's and con's of each but it seems now that I'm up to 7 snakes in my care (with a possible 8th coming in the ensuing weeks/months) that thawing, heating then feeding is a royal pain in the &%$#. It also seems to be more expensive, though I know if I ordered in bulk from Perfect Prey or Rodent Pro it would be much cheaper. So my thought has been to keep a two week supply of live feeder mice/rats in some tubs in my garage. I would just make the hour drive over to see Frank at Cold Blooded Novelties and pick up enough feeders for the upcoming two weeks each time.

Does anyone else do this? If so how is it working out? Are there any major things I'm not thinking about when it comes to housing feeder mice? I would of course provide water, food, substrate, and would house hoppers/smalls separately from the medium and larger mice/rats.

I really don't want to build a rack just for breeding mice so this idea seems to be the best compromise. Plus I would no longer have bags of frozen mice taking up a shelf in my freezer.
    Cheers, Jeff

Thanks
    I think f/t is the way to go. That being said I have one that will refuse anything but live

3. The Following User Says Thank You to albinos_rule For This Useful Post:

C2tcardin (08-27-2014)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hoppers will not survive without their mother for two weeks, anything that is not weaned (usually 3 to 4 weeks of age will not.

Additionally rats grow very fast and in as little as two weeks they could outgrow the ideal size you need.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BHReptiles (08-31-2014),C2tcardin (08-27-2014),GoingPostal (08-27-2014),wolfy-hound (08-28-2014)

Thanks

Re: Do you feed live but don't raise your own mice/rats?

I bought 6 live crawlers enough for 2 feedings by the time i was ready to use the second set they had grown to big to be fed and have now become pets lol. The kids decided they like the pets so now have 6 rats i figure can have a breeding colony and build a kill box being my snakes eat f/t or sell live feeders to ppl i know.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zachbinger For This Useful Post:

C2tcardin (08-27-2014)

Thanks
    I feed live and started out buying my feeders. Problem I found was 1)quality of feeders 2) not always having rats for sale 3) not having the appropriate sized feeders, so I started producing my own. If you are going to keep a 2 week supply you should just build you a 4-5 tub rack and produce your own. Just my thoughts.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txcoker For This Useful Post:

C2tcardin (08-27-2014),Pyrate81 (08-31-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Hoppers will not survive without their mother for two weeks, anything that is not weaned (usually 3 to 4 weeks of age will not.

Additionally rats grow very fast and in as little as two weeks they could outgrow the ideal size you need.
    Thanks to everyone so far for chiming in.

Deborah, this is just the kind of thing I didn't know. Hopefully these couple of smaller girls I recently picked up will be onto small mice and I won't have to worry about the hoppers anymore.
    Cheers, Jeff

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Fortunately my local rat breeder/supplier isn't far away. At the moment I've got 17 adult(ish) BP's, six of which are live-only eaters, while the others will take f/t. If one decides not to eat each week the live feeder just goes to a snake that normally gets f/t. I rotate through the weeks which one gets the live feeder so they don't decide not to take f/t any more.

If for some reason there's still a live left over after all 17 have been offered a meal, which I've had happen during male winter fasting and synchronized shedding, I have boas that would take a small rat as an hors d'ouevre.
    Last edited by bcr229; 08-27-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks

All of mine get fed live and I haven't had any problems yet.

I do feed mine in seperate containers. I don't do it because I think they'll get cage aggressive, but because first, I get better control during feeding just in case something happens. Also, if you feed live, you know that the feeders defecate a whole lot if your snake doesn't kill it right away so I don't want my snakes slithering all over that.

In regards to the leftover feeders, I'm lucky enough to live two minutes away from the reptile store where I get my feeders. So if one of mine doesn't eat, I just return them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    I'm feeding my BP live and no problems till today
    The shop i get my mice from isn't far away, so i only buy one at the time
    but they really stink if left in their "box" for a couple of hours >.<

Thanks

I was buying from a store for two that were live only eaters. But recently I've decided to start a couple colonies and breed them in the garage. I used to do mice when they were smaller so I think I can handle it. Now if only I can find a male rat local.... No local rat breeders here unless I wanna make a trip to the cities...
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast