Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,454

1 members and 3,453 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Acurite digital thermometer w/ probe

I bought two today and put in one of my snakes tank. I put the probe directly over the UTH and underneath the bedding. I have my thermostat set to 88-90 and its only reading 82.

So I placed the probe for the other thermometer I have in between the uth and the glass and that temp. Read what I have the thermostat set at.

Would I get a more accurate temp with the probe between the uth and glass? Or the probe inside the tank on the warm side?

Also what's the deal with the min and max settings?

Thanks
    The probe should be inside the tub, under the bedding. Depending on your thermostat u may be able to calibrate it so that when your Tstat is set to 88, the inside of the tub reads 88. Just be sure to pay attention and check it a couple times a week or so for accuracy-the Tstat is reading the temp of it's probe, so it seems that it's functioning properly.

I'm glad you use one and even happier that you're ensuring you're using it correctly. It's always nice to know we've got good snake parents out there!
    Last edited by SteveySingle; 08-23-2014 at 01:46 AM.

Thanks

Re: Acurite digital thermometer w/ probe

Quote Originally Posted by SteveySingle View Post
    The probe should be inside the tub, under the bedding. Depending on your thermostat u may be able to calibrate it so that when your Tstat is set to 88, the inside of the tub reads 88. Just be sure to pay attention and check it a couple times a week or so for accuracy-the Tstat is reading the temp of it's probe, so it seems that it's functioning properly.

I'm glad you use one and even happier that you're ensuring you're using it correctly. It's always nice to know we've got good snake parents out there!

Well I just woke up and the thermometer inside the tank still reads 82 on my warm side.

The thermometer probe that's place on the outside taped to the heat mat reads 88 and my tstat dial is set to about 90-92.

I have a zilla tstat

I'll have to mess with it some more when I get off of work I suppose.

Thanks

I place my stat probe between the uth and the cage outside. This is how my AP cage was meant to be set up. They have a recessed area already cut out for probe placement. I can then place the accurite probe under the substrate. It's normal for your stat to be set to a higher temp to achieve your target temp inside the cage. My stat temp is set for 97, leaves the cage floor at 93, and on top of the substrate it's 88. You'll just have to experiment to what works for your set up. Different cage materials and substrates will play a big role in how efficiently the uth heat penetrates thru them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbrown806 View Post
    I place my stat probe between the uth and the cage outside. This is how my AP cage was meant to be set up. They have a recessed area already cut out for probe placement. I can then place the accurite probe under the substrate. It's normal for your stat to be set to a higher temp to achieve your target temp inside the cage. My stat temp is set for 97, leaves the cage floor at 93, and on top of the substrate it's 88. You'll just have to experiment to what works for your set up. Different cage materials and substrates will play a big role in how efficiently the uth heat penetrates thru them.
    Unfortunately I have a glass tank set-up. Hoping to move on to a vision cage or ap cage soon! But I had an idea....since the UTH isn't completely flat on the glass, would I get an accurate reading if I put the probe for the thermostat under the substrate and secure it with hot glue?

(edit) I also have the yellow digital thermometer with a probe and that temperature is giving me a reading of 92.7. I'm not entirely sure which thermometer I should go off of
    Last edited by Crispy757; 08-23-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks

You might get a slight variation in temps where the uth doesn't lie flat against tank. I wouldn't be concerned with that though. Some people will tape their entire uth to the glass to eliminate those gaps. The manufacturer of my uth doesn't recommend that so I use foil tape on the edges only.

A lot of people will secure their stat probe on the inside under the substrate and there is nothing wrong with that. I just try to eliminate any cable inside the cage. I don't even use the accurite probe for temps anymore. I have the thermometers mounted inside the cage to give me ambient temps and humidity readings. I use a temp gun to measure all my floor temps. I trust my herpstat , if I have it set to 97, I know my floor temps are good. Still confirm temps often with the gun though.

Was your accurite matching your stat?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbrown806 View Post
    You might get a slight variation in temps where the uth doesn't lie flat against tank. I wouldn't be concerned with that though. Some people will tape their entire uth to the glass to eliminate those gaps. The manufacturer of my uth doesn't recommend that so I use foil tape on the edges only.

A lot of people will secure their stat probe on the inside under the substrate and there is nothing wrong with that. I just try to eliminate any cable inside the cage. I don't even use the accurite probe for temps anymore. I have the thermometers mounted inside the cage to give me ambient temps and humidity readings. I use a temp gun to measure all my floor temps. I trust my herpstat , if I have it set to 97, I know my floor temps are good. Still confirm temps often with the gun though.

Was your accurite matching your stat?
    I fixed the problem! I have ultratherm ( I think that's the company ) UTHs for all my set ups. I just hot glued the probes for my tstats inside the tanks. Once all my ball pythons are in apcages I'll go out and buy a herpstat lol.

But for now everything is good to go! Thanks for your help buddy!

Thanks

So proud of this lol. I gave one of my 40 gallons a new look (so cage look) plasti dipped the sides and back and covered half the screen top with black duct tap. My ambient/hot spot temps and humidity are right where I want them to be! I feel like the plasti dip helps trap in heat too!

Thanks
    How much Plastic Dip did you have to use?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NetalianSoda View Post
    How much Plastic Dip did you have to use?

I used two cans just to give it a thick coat so that way if I ever wanna peel it off it won't come off in little pieces.

I learned that lesson with my wheels hahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast