Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,378

1 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python not eating

I am new to the ownership of a ball python. I purchased this fellow back in June. At first, his appetite was insatiable. He's approximately 4 feet long, and was eating 2 live mice every 2 1/2 weeks. He stopped eating over a month and a half ago and finally shed a few days ago. He was acting like he was hungry, so I went out and bought a couple more mice. Instead of eating them, he rubbed them with his face, then curled up next to them and fell asleep. His tank temp and humidity level are right, and I am getting conflicting ideas from the pet store I purchased him from and other pet stores. Some are saying not to worry until he hasn't eaten for 6 months. He's active, and seems happy, and there are no outward signs of problems. My question is: is this normal? Should I try to feed him something different (such as a dead chick)? I'm going nuts here and any advice would be helpful.
    Last edited by koverman; 08-21-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: mis-type

Thanks
    relax

that's the first thing you have to do

now the 2nd thing you have to do is a bit more patient, i know it is hard and i need some1 te remind me to be patient every now and then.

look aslong your bp does show any physical signs of weigthloss there is nothing to worrie as he is a bp and they sometimes just stop eating.

don't try anyting else just yet i might cause your bp to only take that ind of food from that point on, but tbh as he is 4 ft long i would try to feed him a rat mice are way to small for him. and since rats have a stronger smell to them it might get him out of his hunger strike.

normally i would ask for his temp. and humidity first but since you already said they where ok i didnt.
    YouTube channel; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCue...yj1vBeeIUZVl2Q

Females;
    Normal 100% het. Hypo, Lesser Pastel, Super Fire, Leopard, Mojave, Pastel het. Piebald, Orange Ghost, Pastel 100% het. Clown, Normal (very clean and reduced patterned) 100% het. Clown, Enchi, Pinstripe, Black Pewter, Albino 100% het. Piebald, Normal 66% ph Hypo, Normal 66% ph Piebald

Males;
    Clown, Super Pastel Calico, HGWG, Pastel 100% het Piebald, Cardamon Fire 50% ph Hypo, Banana, GHI, Cinnamon 66%ph Pieb
    ald

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ARBallMorphs For This Useful Post:

koverman (08-21-2014)

Thanks
    First thing to do is relax..I know it is hard, but all ball python owners will at some time go through this. Just keep offering on his regular schedule, and he will soon be back to eating. I had an adult female a few years ago that would stop eating around October, and would not start again until March, or April, and she lost very little, if any weight.

Thanks

Re: Ball python not eating

It's normal for ball pythons to fast for extended periods of time.You have nothing to worry about.Do a search on ball pythons not eating and you will find lots of info.My ball fasted for four months before eating.It drove me crazy too but I researched it and learned that it's normal for ball pythons to suddenly go on a fast for several months or longer and then just start eating again.

I've read that changing substrate may help as well as changing enclosures.There are other things you can try.There is a very good article on this very subject on this forum.Read it and see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RayJ For This Useful Post:

koverman (08-21-2014)

Thanks

What are the temps and humidity and what kind of set up is your boy in?

Thanks

The temp on the hot side is 85 degrees, humidity is currently stable at around 60%

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RayJ View Post
    It's normal for ball pythons to fast for extended periods of time.You have nothing to worry about.Do a search on ball pythons not eating and you will find lots of info.My ball fasted for four months before eating.It drove me crazy too but I researched it and learned that it's normal for ball pythons to suddenly go on a fast for several months or longer and then just start eating again.

I've read that changing substrate may help as well as changing enclosures.There are other things you can try.There is a very good article on this very subject on this forum.Read it and see if it helps.

I have been thinking about moving him into the 180 gallon aquarium that we have to give him more room and allow for a bigger "pool" and I can add more things for him to hide in and climb on. Right now he's is a 40 gallon tall tank.

Thanks
    Are you using a lamp to heat the hot side or a UTH? If your BP doesn't have enough belly heat he may have trouble digesting. Has he pooped for you yet?

Thanks

I'm not sure about a 180 gallon aquarium.That sounds wayyyy too big.Mine is in a 20 gal and he is about three feet long.A thirty gallon would be more than adequate I think.I read in one article that too big of an enclosure can make them feel insecure.I just kept trying to feed mine every couple weeks and he finally ate when I put him in a separate container just to feed him in.Now,I put him in it for feeding and it has been working so far.

Using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RayJ For This Useful Post:

koverman (08-22-2014)

Thanks
    JMO opinion, but I think 180 gallon is overkill for a small python, 20 long is plenty big unless it is an unusually large individual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast